Google may build native ad-blocking into mobile & desktop versions of Chrome

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,261member

gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    An advertising company blocking ads? Suuuuuurrrre.

Blocking irritating ads. You mean like ads from COMPETING advertising networks, but not from Google?
    FWIW Google doesn't place pop-up ads, interstitials or other highly irritating ads. Yes there's a difference between a near-impossible to dismiss full-page pop-up and a sidebar ad for some shoe I'm looking into purchasing, and I'm certain you agree. So while they're doing so for their own benefit, those benefits flow to you and me too. Allowing intrusive ads to take over some websites pushes some visitors to block all ads which will come with a new set of problems. So Google is doing some part in  "protecting the realm" , allowing web users to have a more positive experience and helping ensure ad-blocking doesn't become the norm. 

Yup, a selfish motive that benefits you. Not the only company that does that eh? 

Are you claiming all sites that only use Google Ads are behaving properly and only inserting a couple well-placed and unobtrusive ads?

Only benefit to me is no ads. I don't need them sucking up my bandwidth and I don't need to be tracked.
    Yeah pretty much.

You apparently won't mind not having AI nor most other consumer or fan-oriented sites on the internet either since most are ad-supported. If you aren't getting any benefit from Apple Insider, or Ars or any number of other sites then they should not be paid for serving you, nor should you waste time visiting them. I wonder how DED would feel about working for free? We should all use an ad blocker and find out. 

Further many sites are allowing data aggregators like Datalogix, Media Math and others like them to monitor and harvest user data for various purposes which may have nothing at all to do with an ad. But as long as you don't see an ad all is good I suppose. Ignorance is bliss. 
    Serious question, do you ever get tired of defending Google? It's like clockwork - any article appears on AI about Google and you show up just in time to counter any possible negative content in the article itself or subsequent posts.
    Yeah i'll never really understand that. He said he doesn't work for google, but he's very clearly personally interested in holding a torch for them at every possible opportunity. And it's not limited to google-fud-busting. If this were a google site i'd get it, but since it isn't, i don't. 
    Why would you encourage FUD at all no matter who the target is? What benefit do you derive from being told something that isn't actually true, and worse believing it? Very serious question that I suspect you'll decline to answer. 
    jony0
  • Reply 22 of 26
    gatorguy said:
    An advertising company blocking ads? Suuuuuurrrre.

Blocking irritating ads. You mean like ads from COMPETING advertising networks, but not from Google?
    FWIW Google doesn't place pop-up ads, interstitials or other highly irritating ads. Yes there's a difference between a near-impossible to dismiss full-page pop-up and a sidebar ad for some shoe I'm looking into purchasing, and I'm certain you agree. So while they're doing so for their own benefit, those benefits flow to you and me too. Allowing intrusive ads to take over some websites pushes some visitors to block all ads which will come with a new set of problems. So Google is doing some part in  "protecting the realm" , allowing web users to have a more positive experience and helping ensure ad-blocking doesn't become the norm. 

Yup, a selfish motive that benefits you. Not the only company that does that eh? 

Are you claiming all sites that only use Google Ads are behaving properly and only inserting a couple well-placed and unobtrusive ads?

Only benefit to me is no ads. I don't need them sucking up my bandwidth and I don't need to be tracked.
    You also compliment Ars for using ads "the right way". If that's the case how can you say that "no ads" is the only way to go? Obviously ads are necessary to fund newspapers (unless you insist on everyone paying for subscriptions which would mean the death of many small and specialized sites). Choosing a medium path between blocking every single ad vs. just blocking those that greatly degrade the user experience makes sense.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Well, that's a surprise! A report about Google and ads and the maximum posts are by GatorGuy!
  • Reply 24 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,261member
    Well, that's a surprise! A report about Google and ads and the maximum posts are by GatorGuy!
    No prob. :)
    edited April 2017 jony0
  • Reply 25 of 26
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Old biz model- sell ad space. New biz model - sell users details