Why an all-glass 'iPhone 8' makes sense, and could be more durable than you expect

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26

Steel Drake's concept of the iPhone is the only one that actually looks good among all the ones I've seen so far.

He didn't try to get too clever by showing a front with no bezels.

Very classy.

edited April 2017 Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,050member
    I'll stick with this current "glass". Make all colors glossy like Jet Black and forget about the damn glass!
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 23 of 26
    k2kw said:
    dbeats said:
    My Apple Watch is Sapphire Glass on Stainless Steel Chassis. It's nicely curved at the end with an OLED display that makes it hard to tell when it ends due to the true blacks. I have to believe that Apple did this also as a test run of the idea to move this to phones one day. The Sapphire Glass on my watch has taken many bangs on some hard stuff and is absolutely flawless still. If they can make enough Sapphire at this point, I can't see why they wouldn't do replicate the Watch approach, just on both sides.

I never did understand why Apple didn't buy GT Advanced and develop the Sapphire themselves.   Then they would have developed the production capacity by now to make the iPhone with Sapphire.   Its been 3 or 4 years since the fiasco.
    Surely it's a good thing they didn't. If the technology and capabilities were there, they would have done it by now. Instead they partnered with a company that claimed they could do it and ultimately failed on that promise. Had apple just bought them out on the promise that it was possible, they would have lost a LOT more money overall.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    I'd gladly pay $1000 for an iPhone that is scratch and shatter resistant, but only if they guarantee that scratch and shatter resistance for 2 years at no additional cost and no case needed.

I'm not going to pay $1000 for that then need to spend another $100 for AppleCare while also another $75 or so for a case to cover all the beauty up so it will last me a couple of years. 
  • Reply 25 of 26
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,033member
    airnerd said:
    I'd gladly pay $1000 for an iPhone that is scratch and shatter resistant, but only if they guarantee that scratch and shatter resistance for 2 years at no additional cost and no case needed.

I'm not going to pay $1000 for that then need to spend another $100 for AppleCare while also another $75 or so for a case to cover all the beauty up so it will last me a couple of years. 
    How can anyone guarantee that? Even Wolverine can have his claws cut by other Adamantium.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    "Press any key to unlock"

Eh?