Apple's 2017 Earth Day Challenge for Apple Watch awards iMessage Stickers

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2017
In recognition of today's Earth Day, Apple created an "Earth Day Challenge" to reward reaching 30 minutes of exercise on the day with a special achievement badge in the Activity app, as well as stickers for use within iMessage.

To earn the achievement, users can "run, walk, cycle, wheelchair or swim" in a workout of at least 30 minutes using Apple Watch or any third-party app that writes workout data to Health Kit.

Earth Day achievement in Activity #AppleWatch #Imessage #ios10 #Clips

A post shared by AppleInsider (@appleinsider_official) on Apr 22, 2017 at 4:34pm PDT

Apple began incrementally adding the achievement challenge within the iOS Activity app to users as Earth Day approached. Twitter user Patrick in Melbourne, Australia was among the first to post an image of the Earth Day achievement (above).

Apple has previously created special achievement challenges, including last year's U.S. Thanksgiving holiday as well as a "Ring in the New Year Challenge" during the month of January.

In addition to feeling good about achievements earned in the Activity app, users also gain access to digital stickers that can be shared in iOS 10 iMessages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Got the achievement.
    Yay!
    edited April 2017 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Got mine first thing this morning!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    Yey! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I got mine today!! 🏃🏽😁

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I've done two walks today - both longer than 30 min - and no badge awarded! :(
  • Reply 6 of 16
    steveb8 said:
    Same here, mine was indoors, wonder if that doesn't qualify.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "Earth Day"...LOL.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    steveb8 said:
    As workouts via the Health app on your Apple Watch?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    "Earth Day"...LOL.
    Please don't make this political.
    pscooter63AirunJae
  • Reply 10 of 16
    My wife and I found a gap in the monsoon we've been having lately to get a 5K in yesterday, and got our badges. That's 3 special ones for us so far! 
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    Whomever designed these medals deserves a medal - they're beautiful.
    steveb8watto_cobraAirunJae
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Soli said:
    steveb8 said:
    As workouts via the Health app on your Apple Watch?
    Well...used Run Keeper, which writes to Health. Humm. 
  • Reply 13 of 16
    heyms1heyms1 Posts: 1member
    Although I did meet the Apple Watch challenge, I called Apple yesterday to find out how to get my "stickers"-what the process was. My discussion was not very helpful. I did sign up for Strava yesterday and my exercise should be recorded there. How do I proceed?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    heyms1 said:
    Although I did meet the Apple Watch challenge, I called Apple yesterday to find out how to get my "stickers"-what the process was. My discussion was not very helpful. I did sign up for Strava yesterday and my exercise should be recorded there. How do I proceed?
    There isn't really a process. Once you complete the achievement the stickers are available. All you have to do is open Messages and tap the App Store icon to the left of the text field. Then just swipe to the left until you find the pane with the Activity stickers. You may also have to be on the latest version of iOS. 

You can also verify you have the achievement in the Activity app on your iPhone under the Achievements tab, it will be at the top. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    steveb8 said:

It could be that the walks were logged in as "other" workouts, which may not have qualified for the badge.

I've noticed that the Health app shows more calories burnt when using the "other" workout when compared to something like an indoor walk for the same amount of time, with the same speed/ inclination.

I went for a nice cycle ride in the morning and got my badge!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    steveb8 said:

I've noticed that the Health app shows more calories burnt when using the "other" workout when compared to something like an indoor walk for the same amount of time, with the same speed/ inclination.

I find that very frustrating. Sometimes I'll go for an Outdoor Walk with my dog or pushing a stroller (or both). We'll be out for 45-50 minutes and at the end I will only have gotten a few minutes of Excercise. But, if I was so inclined, I could literally sit on the couch watching television, start an Other workout and easily close my Exercise ring. 

This is seems exceedingly stupid that I can exercise and not get credit for it but also not excerxise and get credit for excercise.