Four ex-NASA engineers on Apple's list of autonomous car software testers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    Those that need to can go through the usual motions which are: Step 1) Clone your bootable backup back to your primary drive. Step 2) There is no Step 2.

Actually exactly my point, as that is really only effective if issues are discovered right away, otherwise one seems into a migration process from a clean install or TM recovery, to retain interstitial data, and do it right (depending on root ID) assuming one has kept the prior installer, which Apple seems to feel isn't worth offering online. I've got some macs that also won't upgrade to the current Safari to 10.1, and there seems no manual download I can find - yet again it seems the Appstore way is the only way, buggy... No mercy.

The only MacOS I remember that were essentially bug free (for me) were 10.4.11 & Snow, and those ran beyond a couple of years in development, but unsupported on new hardware once updated, essentially forcing buyers to the bleeding edge. Would we want that in a car, or timing purchases late in CarOS development for reliability?

Indeed the airline one is funny, especially as I don't fly.  Here's a famous Airbus 320 demo flight: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kHa3WNerjU

...and a linked article on computer assist vs automation approaches Boeing vs Airbus:  
    http://www.aerospaceamerica.org/Documents/Aerospace America PDFs 2015/July-August 2015/AA_Jul-Aug2015_Feature3_BoeingVsAirbus.pdf
    You can roll back to just before an OS update with a Time Machine backup. Anyone adept enough to do this can figure out how to preserve any new data since that update, using Chronosync or whatever sync tool you prefer. 

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25341?locale=en_US

That, or just download the full macOS installer each time a new update comes out and make a bootable thumb drive out of it, and do an Archive and Install over your existing data. 

There are at least a few ways to roll back your OS, and you seem to know what you're talking about otherwise, so not sure what the problem is. :)
  • Reply 22 of 31
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I wish Apple would put more energy into fixing their operating system and stop using customers as beta testers. 10.12.4 ruined my weekend (still ongoing)... Suggest upgraders proceed with extreme caution if using more than a most basic mac setup. Plug and Pray seems alive and well, and why the heck does apple make reverting to a prior OS version like the hunt for the Holy Grail ? Could we have at least a single restore point like the dreaded Windows, or prior os download/install options please, or better yet a fundamental choice of OS with new hardware ? User experience when things go wrong = epic fail...

How will a car drive if the OS has so many issues?

We won't know if the software is any good till Uber steals it.

If Apple is making the car where is the factory?

I'll be more enthusiastic about Apple's car plans when SIRI is significant better.   Maybe the could license Alexa from Amazon.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Was it really all that long ago that so many AI posters said there was no way Apple would do anything with self-driving cars and it was a ridiculous idea anyway. 
  • Reply 24 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy said:
    Was it really all that long ago that so many AI posters said there was no way Apple would do anything with self-driving cars and it was a ridiculous idea anyway. 
    The hockey stick of computing power vs. price should've informed those otherwise. Computing will migrate to even the most mundane of things.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gatorguy said:
    That typing of response goes back a lot further than just the Apple Car. People said the iPad was dumb because even MS couldn't make this popular after decades. iOS on the iPad was dumb because it's not a "real" OS. The iPhone couldn't happen BB and Nokia are so entrenched that a newcomer wouldn't be able to get a foot in. Japan has phones that are much better than anywhere else in the world. China is so poor that no one there can afford Apple products. Gateway and Dell both failed with real stores that Apple is just wasting money. The iPod is a lame duck product. …[Countless others.]
  • Reply 26 of 31
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    I've been on this since Saturday, and  Time Machine migrations failed (this is all over the web), the installers from prior versions seem unavailable to download, the drive I found with a prior clean install (7200rm fast) took 8 hours to migrate via FW800 and the resulting boot after several days of lost productivity gave me an email database error - so a simple reversion on a minor point upgrade (10.12.4>10.12.3) when the kaka hits the fan is impossibly inefficient on Apple platform - it has been a long time since such a poor user experience on the mac - I surely miss the Jobs era, and urge everyone to tread lightly on the bleeding edge...

Like Zuckerberg, Thunderbird is on deck next for an email app. Are 90% on other platforms for really, really simple reasons ?
    10.12.4>10.12.3 offers me this insanity after days of troubleshooting:

OK... Too bad I lose my non-Apple monitor on 10.12.4...  Really? I mean REALLY?
    Will Apple cars end up as lawn ornaments at upgrade time?

Notable results of futurist automation optimism on air travel A-320 Air France - YouTube
    tallest skil
  • Reply 27 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    10.12.4>10.12.3 offers me this insanity after days of troubleshooting:
    Yeah, that bothers me to no end. I’ve had to do troubleshooting on iTunes Libraries running on older versions of OS X and have to rebuild them every time I check on them from Sierra because of this nonsense. What could have possibly changed such that this is necessary?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    EDIT: AI has posted an article on the news making this post redundant. 
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 29 of 31
    I surely miss the Jobs era
    Yeah, nothing ever crashed when Jobs was alive. /eyeroll
    Soli
  • Reply 30 of 31
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ....the latest 'autopilot' caution is the migration utility seems to know what we need and not, silently without warning omitting migrating apps it chooses, the most obvious of which are the pre-iOS versions of iWork, which are still in use (here) due to features lost in the simplification for iOS... How many other silent victims are there with migration utility ? 4k monitor & e-Sata & support also seem flaky in Sierra, yet working in El Capitan. Is this to drive sales to usb-c MacBooks ?  Will we risk losing our wipers or headlights with an iCarOS 'upgrade', only to be 'sold' the latest new model...?

...a little far fetched perhaps - the movie I.T. trailer:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfnDTvbtDUI
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 31 of 31
    ....the latest 'autopilot' caution is the migration utility seems to know what we need and not, silently without warning omitting migrating apps it chooses, the most obvious of which are the pre-iOS versions of iWork, which are still in use (here) due to features lost in the simplification for iOS... How many other silent victims are there with migration utility ? 4k monitor & e-Sata & support also seem flaky in Sierra, yet working in El Capitan. Is this to drive sales to usb-c MacBooks ?  Will we risk losing our wipers or headlights with an iCarOS 'upgrade', only to be 'sold' the latest new model...?

...a little far fetched perhaps - the movie I.T. trailer:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfnDTvbtDUI
    Bug are bugs. The forced obsolescence argument is soooooo tired, stretching this to the car thing is really reaching.

I have Pages '09 in Sierra and it works fine.
    edited April 2017