Production of Apple's 'iPhone 8' said to be affected by unspecified Samsung OLED problems

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    volcan said:
    avon b7 said:
    Finding a different supplier will not necessarily mean the problems vanish. They could even be worse. That said, the more suppliers the better (provided quality levels are assured)
    Samsung is the only manufacturer that can even come close to producing the quantities that Apple needs. As far as multiple suppliers, I remember the first MBP LED 15" had screens from Samsung and LG. There was a way to tell which screen you had by a command line script but you had to buy it first. As it turned out the maxed out spec versions had Samsung and the lower speed ones LG. The Samsung screens were much better than the LG. If perhaps, as rumored, that there will be a flagship model and an entry model perhaps that is what they will do again and put the Samsung screen in the high end model.
    LG is one of the world leaders in OLED display technology. I hope Apple uses LG at some point for their OLED models. I actually think LG makes better OLED screens than Samsung. 
    Which company has better display qualities is subjective. They use completely different technology. With respect to manufacturing methods, substrate etching, layers, anodes, cathodes, backplanes etc. they are not equivalent. You can't just mix and match. They have to be designed for a particular model that matches their characteristics 
  • Reply 22 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Fatman said:
    Sabatoge? 'Sorry, Apple we're not getting the yields expected & can't give you the displays you need for your biggest launch ever' We have a more important client to cater to ... ourselves. Apple desperately needs an alternate supplier of displays!

If that is Samsung's intention, they wouldn't even have negotiated with Apple for supplying OLED panels to begin with, isn't it? Most importantly, this is just a RUMOR with no credibility or whatsoever. Trusting that rumor fully AND then making an allegation on an Apple partner (albeit a love-hate relationship) is just not on.
    Agreed. 

Rather than risk the bad press from shoddy displays, Samsung would just say 'no'. 

And for the people who keep saying daft stuff like 'Apple should switch supplier', don't you think  they would if another supplier could do a better job?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 24

I don't think there is an Samsung conspiracy. If this rumour is to be believed, then there must be genuine issues Samsung is having.

Of course, I see no reason why I should believe this rumour though.