Apple's HomeKit accessory list updated with new Ecobee 4 thermostat, more devices shipping...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has updated its curated page of HomeKit-compatible devices, notably adding the as-yet unreleased Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat, and removing a Bluetooth extender and a Lightwave to HomeKit bridge.

The highlight of the changes on the Apple-hosted page is the addition of the Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat. Ecobee put up a teaser page on April 24 heralding the impending release of the product containing no actual details about it, other than a blue LED light on the top of the case.

An assortment of products from Koogeek have been added to the list, with most of them repurposed devices for markets outside of the U.S. However, also listed is the Koogeek P2 Smartplug, which appears to be a new design of the older product -- if not yet announced formally by the company.

Notable for its absence on Apple's list is the ConnectSense Bluetooth Extender. Announced in January, the device bridges shorter-ranged Bluetooth Low Energy connections to a wi-fi network, allowing for remote control of those devices. It is not clear why the product has been removed, and it is still listed as "coming soon" on the ConnectSense website.

Also stricken from the list is the LightwaveRF Link 2. There is little actual information about the product, but on April 18, the company said on Facebook that HomeKit integration was "currently in development" and it was "contractually obliged not to release any more information" on the the product.

Other changes include the availability of the Leviton Decora series of dimmer switches, and the iLuv Rainbow8 smart bulbs.

Introduced in 2014, HomeKit allows users to connect to a variety of compatible so-called "internet of things" devices through the iOS Home app in conjunction with each other, as opposed to a series of disconnected interfaces. The addition of Siri control to HomeKit allows for complicated sequences of events to be induced from an iOS device or a Mac running Sierra.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Wonder if this will change since Ecobee now has competitor Amazon Echo built in for voice command. 
  • Reply 2 of 12
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    ConnectSense has zero customer support.  I emailed them several times about their units losing connectivity and I never got a reply.  The chances of a unit working is about 20% at this time.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    doggone said:
    ConnectSense has zero customer support.  I emailed them several times about their units losing connectivity and I never got a reply.  The chances of a unit working is about 20% at this time.
    Why not call them instead of relying on an email? They probably get thousands of emails everyday so its very possible yours are getting buried in the pile.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    The Tado homekit compatible hub is still not shipping to customers, Q2 2017 was the latest date from Tado. It's been "awaiting Apple approval" for as long as I can remember.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    zompzomp Posts: 62member
    Wonder if this will change since Ecobee now has competitor Amazon Echo built in for voice command. 
    Ecobee is a little more than a toy. Having first hand experience with the original device which works on Variable speed furnaces and has had the ability to track energy usage, outdoor temps and so much more data, I was able to predict when the the best time to begin and end cooling my home for a huge amount of energy savings. The device also predicts the best time to begin a cooling and heating cycle based on outdoor temperatures and a preselected time.  It was way ahead of it's time 5 years ago. The big reason for my purchase was the ability to operate a variable speed furnace whereas the blower operates 24/7 at a low speed to move air throughout the house for more even temperature and clean air.
     Talking to the device is at the bottom of the list of "must have's" for me.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    zomp said:
    Ecobee is a little more than a toy. Having first hand experience with the original device which works on Variable speed furnaces and has had the ability to track energy usage, outdoor temps and so much more data, I was able to predict when the the best time to begin and end cooling my home for a huge amount of energy savings. The device also predicts the best time to begin a cooling and heating cycle based on outdoor temperatures and a preselected time.  It was way ahead of it's time 5 years ago. The big reason for my purchase was the ability to operate a variable speed furnace whereas the blower operates 24/7 at a low speed to move air throughout the house for more even temperature and clean air.
    I wish there were more incentives (like more tax deductions or something) for everyone to do more of this. This is good stuff and its little things like this that help everyone financially and with the environment. Its amazing how much a little technology and investment can save you money in the end. Its just the upfront costs that put a lot of people off. 
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Interesting. I love both of my Ecobees (one for upstairs, one for down.) They were the first thing I replaced (like, that week) in our new home.

However, I'm still waiting for a Siri/Homekit profile for Irrigation (sprinkler control) as well as Honeywell Vista (wired) security connection. I've got pretty much everything else I need/want connected to HomeKit.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    macxpress said:
    zomp said:
    I wish there were more incentives (like more tax deductions or something) for everyone to do more of this. This is good stuff and its little things like this that help everyone financially and with the environment. Its amazing how much a little technology and investment can save you money in the end. Its just the upfront costs that put a lot of people off. 
    Puget Sound Energy has a 75$ rebate on some Thermostat models.   That helps spur sales. 

As for the Ecobee I agree with @Zomp  if your best feature comes from Amazon you have fallen off the innovation wagon.  Yeah the thermostat market is pretty mature there's not much coming. 

My next home won't even have a furnace if my wife and I decide to build.   We'll go with a mini-splits and find an efficient way to bring in fresh outdoor air. 
  • Reply 9 of 12
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    F*cking LightwaveRF. Way back on 26th June 2014 they announced they had been approached by Apple and accepted as an MFi Developer.

On 9th April 2015 they went one step further and stated; The Company is now able to update the market that Apple have agreed to assist LightwaveRF in implementing the correct protocol in LightwaveRF’s Weblink in order to enable customers the benefits of using HomeKit with the Company’s product range. HomeKit is a framework in iOS 8 for communicating with and controlling connected accessories in a user’s home.

Their share price rose accordingly.

Sometime later that year their own Facebook page stated;
     HomeKit integration is still on track for an early 2016 release. It will require a new Lightwave Link – unfortunately the demands of the system require a hardware upgrade. We hope that clears it up!”

And finally in March this year I noticed listed near the bottom of Apples HomeKit page under Bridges none other than LightwaveRF.

And then without a word it is removed.

I don't think I've ever known a Company promise so much and then deliver so little.

<sigh>
  • Reply 10 of 12
    adamjusticeadamjustice Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    doggone said:
    @doggone I am sorry that this is the experience you had with our customer support.  I can assure that is not how we treat our customers.  I would be happy to personally help you if you email me adam at connectsense dot com
    hmurchison
  • Reply 11 of 12
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    Last sentence implies Sierra supports HomeKit. It does not. 
  • Reply 12 of 12
    martynmartyn Posts: 1member
    Heatmiser have launched the HomeKit Enabled neoHub that brings HomeKit support to the Neo devices.

Their system has wireless and wired thermostat and time clock options and a programmable smart plug. 

homekit.heatmiser.com