Robbers target two San Diego Apple stores, make off with iPhones and Macs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    holyone said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    I get that Apple worries how permanent security would look around the store, but one of these  thieving morons is going to hurt somebody. 
    Yeah and Apple's brand will take a hammering especially considering that this has been going on for some time and Apple the richest company in the world has done zilch, it's kinda eresponsible of Apple
    Joke's on the thieves. They just stole a bunch of MacBook Pros with TouchBar, and iPhones with fat bezels and tiny batteries. These are allegedly failing products from a doomed company. They'll never sell them in world that's moving to Sammy and Surface Pros. Or so I heard in these forums.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Apple is going to have to hire armed security guards in high crime areas soon. The stores are like a candy store for these thieves otherwise and since Apple makes the most per square foot of any retail space in the world, they need to protect the products, workers and customers.
    In Hollywood there is no such thing as bad publicity.

The publicity of these robberies is far too valuable to completely stop them.  After all, Apple products are aspirational, everyone (in their heart) wants an Apple product.  The proof is the failure of Microsoft and Samsung stores, and the fact that these stores have never been robbed.

A part of me wants to thank the thieves for the free (or nearly so) publicity.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 30
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member

holyone said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    I get that Apple worries how permanent security would look around the store, but one of these  thieving morons is going to hurt somebody. 
    Yeah and Apple's brand will take a hammering especially considering that this has been going on for some time and Apple the richest company in the world has done zilch, it's kinda eresponsible of Apple
    Uh oh, sounds like a dire prediction of doom, paired with a side of armchair executive know-how. Hilarious. 
    Uh oh, sounds like onother mindless dull StrangeDays retort, all you ever do is comment on other people's post, you bring nothing of you're own thoughts to the table, you've posted three comments on this thread none of which offer any worth while thought, you've contributed nothing to the conversations on the majority of all those over 1000 post, you've barely been posting here for a year but you've posted over a thousand times, nothing more than  just overly self righteous Internet blabbering too, I'm all for opinions, but you seem to think every negative comment about Apple is some kind of 'Doom' prediction, strange days I guess

You honestly think that if someone gets stabbed at an Apple store during a robbery that won't affect Apple's image, that the media won't use that against Apple, and that there won't be lawsuits flying, hilarious indeed.

• Reply 24 of 30
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    holyone said:
    ....all you ever do is comment...

Since The Powers That Be took away the Dislike button, dissentive comments are all that's left.

I only see your posts when someone responds in full.  All *I* see you bring to the table is mindless fear-mongering drivel, and  personal insults that just make you look weak.
    suddenly newtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Easy money Apple stores are a "soft target" and the thieves know it.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple is going to have to hire armed security guards in high crime areas soon. The stores are like a candy store for these thieves otherwise and since Apple makes the most per square foot of any retail space in the world, they need to protect the products, workers and customers.

The publicity of these robberies is far too valuable to completely stop them.  After all, Apple products are aspirational, everyone (in their heart) wants an Apple product.  The proof is the failure of Microsoft and Samsung stores, and the fact that these stores have never been robbed.

Apple Stores getting robbed (repeatedly) isn't good news, it's an invitation for other robbers.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    rajaramrajaram Posts: 16member
    Qualcomm must be trying to get it's payments from Apple ;)
  • Reply 28 of 30
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    SpamSandwich said:
    Apple Stores getting robbed (repeatedly) isn't good news, it's an invitation for other robbers.
    Customers hurt when 'security' tries to prevent a robbery, or a hostage situation, is worse news. How many customers have been hurt so far? None, that I've heard of. 

Now I'm all for robbery suspects bringing knives to a gunfight. But before there's gunplay, innocent bystanders need to be safe and not endangered. That isn't a job for mall security or even 'hired guns' unless they're very well trained. It's only stuff.

Are they grabbing retail boxed stuff or gear right off the tables? Apple could easily rig demo Macs and phones to transmit even when the thieves think they've shut the devices off. Alert the police to a robbery in progress, and start tracking the crooks. Custom versions of Lo-Jack that can't be turned off as long as there's battery power would work, too.

Apple should do something to discourage robberies, especially those during store hours (even if it's at the end of the day). But armed security during business hours sends the wrong message and endangers the public at large.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 29 of 30
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member

gregg thurman said:

Ok, that's all stupid on so many levels. Apple is not happy with that publicity. And yes, there is bad publicity and this is it. What are you smoking?
  • Reply 30 of 30
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,303member
    I wish we did have security. It is frustrating  to have the same people come back often enough that you know their names.
    I know! It's like Cheers, with knives!