Apple's AirPods achieve 98% customer satisfaction in new study

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    stevenozstevenoz Posts: 314member
    I bought them soon after they shipped... and I love them too. For years my tethered earpod's microphone would get caught on my dress shirt collars and the cord would pull. Irritating. But now, no cord pulls. And they sound the same as tethered.

They work great for me... even though they are one more thing to keep charged (but they charge quickly).
    edited May 2017 caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 40
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    tht said:
    I'm still waiting on in-ear versions, with options for foam or silicone tips. Or maybe, biometric sensing tips. Otherwise, the fit of the AirPods aren't all the way there for me. Apparently, I'm in the 10% who have deficient anti-tragi.

If they dont fit your ears real well, plenty of third-party accessories to help out:

The problem with these third-party tips is that:

1) You have to take them off to charge the AirPods
    2) They stop the auto-pause/stop feature from working
  • Reply 23 of 40
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    Having a noise-canceling feature is not a standard, stock feature, and not having such a feature doesn't make them not proper headphones. I've never owned a pair of headphones with a noise cancelation feature in my entire life. AirPods still my favorite headphones in my life.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that ANC should be seen as a standard feature. Rather that I would be especially keen on any future AirPods that had the feature.

if you've never tried headphones with ANC, try something like the Bose QC20i. I've yet to meet a person who hasn't been converted after use.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    They're OK. I do occasionally experience some odd connection issues like dropped packets, and clicking or static. I suppose I'd be in the "Satisfied" rather than "Very Satisfied" column.

My main complaints is having to drag my phone out to adjust volume (oddly enough using Siri for that doesn't really appeal when listening to mostly spoken word), and I do feel a touch effete getting them out of the charger and inserting them in my ears.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    xbit said:
    I guess I'm part of the 2% then. I thought that the AirPods solved all of the problems associated with Bluetooth headphones but none of the problems associated with Apple headphones.

They're so close to be perfect but the total lack of noise isolation made them useless for on daily commute or in the office. Unless the seal was absolutely perfect (usually lasted for 10 seconds or so), I had to turn them up to ear-damaging levels to hear podcasts clearly over background noise.

I'd buy proper in-ear AirPods in an instant, especially if they feature active noise cancellation. It's a shame that the Beats X don't have the most cool AirPod features.

EDIT: Actually, I guess I'm not part of the 2%. I returned them so I'm not technically an owner.
    So, you're complaining about not having a feature that never was claimed, yet you bought them anyway. I too would like noise cancelling AirPods and maybe the next gen will offer them or they'll be a second model. I also own a pair of over-the-ear noise cancelling headphones that I use exclusively on airplanes. Doesn't make these any less spectacular. I use AirPods everywhere else.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    massconn72massconn72 Posts: 162member
    I don't care what the survey says. I'm not ever paying $159.00 for a little pair of earbuds. They are incapable of noise canceling the outside world.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Nameo_ said:
    Well, this is bad news for me. I was waiting on a 2nd gen AirPods because it's a bit too late to buy the 1st gen now. Also I'm pretty excited about bluetooth 5.0. With such high satisfaction rate, I would suspect it's unlikely that Apple comes up with the next gen anytime soon, if ever.
    Are you serious? Ok if you area... It's not "too late" to get AirPods, I doubt second-gen are just around the corner. But I'm sure there will be improvements over time.
  • Reply 28 of 40

I wanted to buy a set this weekend (finally!), but discovered they're back-ordered six weeks here in the US.    Every Apple store, every online vendor... berift.  Heck, the Pencil wasn't this scarce.

Did everyone else here have to wait that long for theirs?

(No, I'm not throwing money away on FeeBay or Amazin'... I'm impatient, yes, but not stupid.)
    FYI I recently bought a second pair via AT&T's store, shipped immediately. Saw a tip on twitter that said the same.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    xbit said:
    tht said:
    I'm still waiting on in-ear versions, with options for foam or silicone tips. Or maybe, biometric sensing tips. Otherwise, the fit of the AirPods aren't all the way there for me. Apparently, I'm in the 10% who have deficient anti-tragi.

If they dont fit your ears real well, plenty of third-party accessories to help out:

The problem with these third-party tips is that:

1) You have to take them off to charge the AirPods
    2) They stop the auto-pause/stop feature from working
    1) Such is life. If your ears don't fit w/ AP, this is your option. My SO has the hooks and the stems slide into them in about 2 seconds. Can you afford 2 seconds?

2) Not so -- the tapping action is based on motion, not touch. But even if it were touch you'd see of the several links I provided some of them keep the AirPod exposed.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 30 of 40

I don't care what the survey says. I'm not ever paying $159.00 for a little pair of earbuds. They are incapable of noise canceling the outside world.
    Then I hope you don't look at the prices on high-end comparables. This is a pretty moderate price point.

Or a diamond -- also "little", yet expensive.

Also, noice cancelation is not a use case everyone wants. In the gym or running, for example, where you want to be aware of your surroundings -- and you can believe a lot of people get AP to use for those use cases.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 31 of 40
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    tht said:

I'll think about it. But these sorts of things defeat some of the convenience of AirPods. I have to put them on and remove them every time I use them. I have to carry AirPods and these in my pockets.

Just would be nice to have real in-ear versions with noise isolation or noise cancellation with ambient noise/audio pass through options. Apple my wait a few more years to do something like this, so it could be a long wait.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    These are the reason I only buy Apple products...If Apple doesn't make it, I do with out. (With the exception of a TV and printer, of course.)
  • Reply 33 of 40
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    xbit said:
    Having a noise-canceling feature is not a standard, stock feature, and not having such a feature doesn't make them not proper headphones. I've never owned a pair of headphones with a noise cancelation feature in my entire life. AirPods still my favorite headphones in my life.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that ANC should be seen as a standard feature. Rather that I would be especially keen on any future AirPods that had the feature.

if you've never tried headphones with ANC, try something like the Bose QC20i. I've yet to meet a person who hasn't been converted after use.
    I think you missed the point - some people don't want noise cancellation. I use my headphones at work and can't have cancellation, or I may miss something. Also, while outside, you really should be aware of your surroundings and this is a non-starter for me (to have cancellation).
    stevenozpscooter63
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Honestly I am shocked at this... I am a huge Apple Fan and often say the AirPods were the best Apple product I've purchased... However, as of late I find I rarely use my AirPods or if I do I am only using 1 of the pair.  My reliability has been horrible... with streaming music or watching videos it works just fine 99% of the time.  However, if I am on any type of two way communication (phone call, VOIP, Video, etc) they rarely work right.  Often just randomly disconnecting causing me to awkwardly switch back and forth between iPhone, Speaker sometimes randomly back to the AirPods.  I have the same experience with my MacBook Pro and iPad.  If I use 1 AirPod I get much greater reliability but not enough for me not to still get frustrated.

I know I am not the only one with this issue... and yes I have an Apple Watch which seems to help contribute to the issue.  (Honestly I hate Bluetooth, it sucks in general :)

I really hope this can get resolved... I actually have 2 pair of AirPods and both have identical symptoms so I think it's a software/firmware issue more than hardware at this point.   Bottom line... I really cannot recommend these to anyone right now.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    I waited 6 weeks to get them and have been using them daily for past 3 weeks. Like them a lot - prefer them over the BeatsX, which I test-drove for 2 weeks before returning them (bluetooth yes, wireless, no - and that damn neck collar drove me nuts). I rate the ABs at 80%, not 98%. I have a few beefs buts here's the biggest: the bluetooth signal gets hijacked by my car's BT system even when I get in the car with AirBuds already paired to my iPhone. Why does this happen? I don't know. But every time i get in my car I have to take a moment to re-pair the ABs with my phone. This shouldn't happen, the BT connection should stick with whatever the ABs were last paired to. Also - it's a pain to remove the ABs from the charging case. I struggle each time to nudge them out of the magnetically attached holes they live in. The slick plastic surface provides no easy point of purchase for my beefy fingertips. And lastly - yeah, Apple, why only white? 
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Nameo_Nameo_ Posts: 34member
    Nameo_ said:
    Well, this is bad news for me. I was waiting on a 2nd gen AirPods because it's a bit too late to buy the 1st gen now. Also I'm pretty excited about bluetooth 5.0. With such high satisfaction rate, I would suspect it's unlikely that Apple comes up with the next gen anytime soon, if ever.
    Are you serious? Ok if you area... It's not "too late" to get AirPods, I doubt second-gen are just around the corner. But I'm sure there will be improvements over time.
    Okay.. maybe "too late" is a little too strong. I guess what I wanna say is it's already about mid-2017 and I'm not spending $159 on a product that was introduced last year. Also one thing I forgot to mention in the first comment that I don't like about the first gen is lack of gesture controls. So either way, I'm waiting for the 2nd gen AirPods.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Nameo_ said:
    Nameo_ said:
    Okay.. maybe "too late" is a little too strong. I guess what I wanna say is it's already about mid-2017 and I'm not spending $159 on a product that was introduced last year. Also one thing I forgot to mention in the first comment that I don't like about the first gen is lack of gesture controls. So either way, I'm waiting for the 2nd gen AirPods.
    You'll be waiting a long time for gesture control, is guess. The gesture control is supposed to happen on your wrist. 

Im not sure there will be a Gen 2 soon. This seems like a product with a couple year lifespan. 
  • Reply 38 of 40
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Mine arrived after about 10 days from Best Buy.

working great, so far.

Love how easy the pair, the battery case, being able to use one at a time, letting enough ambient noise in to ride a bicycle safely.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    jstaggiejstaggie Posts: 15member
    [...] Also - it's a pain to remove the ABs from the charging case. I struggle each time to nudge them out of the magnetically attached holes they live in. The slick plastic surface provides no easy point of purchase for my beefy fingertips. And lastly - yeah, Apple, why only white? 
    On Daring Fireball, John Gruber posted a video about this: http://daringfireball.net/2017/01/airpods_how_to_pop_them_out ;
    The trick is to not try and grasp each pod to remove it. Instead, put your finger between the pods (where the charger light is) and close to the case pus the pod sideways (not forward, but to the side) and it pops right out. If you press near the top of the pod, it doesn't work; it pushes the airpod down. 

I really like them even though I've never liked EarPods. It's the first product since the first iPhone that I feel is "magical". I use the watch to control them, though, which works well. There's a delay when you double-tap for Siri that's annoying, but that's the only thing I've noticed that I really hope improves.
    edited May 2017