Volkswagen makes iPhone internal standard, Capital One adopts Mac & Apple Watch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    volcan said:
    Being associated with the disgraced Volkswagen Group is not something to brag about.

People always say Apple should buy Tesla (garbage highly overvalued company, so they won't). IF Apple were to buy a car company, it should be VW. Excellent product mix from VW, Audi, Lamborghini and even Bugatti. Substantial facilities and R&D expertise. Their stock price still hasn't recovered from the emissions scandal making them a much better deal to buy.

And what better way to turn around the perception of VW in the market than for someone like Apple to buy them and "infuse" their DNA into VW? Though with the current ownership of VW Group this seems difficult to pull off.
    MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    paxman said:
    pepe779 said:
    volcan said:
    Being associated with the disgraced Volkswagen Group is not something to brag about.
    Oh come on now. Whatever manipulation VW did was definitely not worse than what any other car manufacturer has been doing for many years (and maybe on an even bigger scale). VW was just the unlucky one to be caught and publicly criticized and I'm by no means defending what VW did, but if you want to be completely fair, let's judge all car companies for their shady activities. And I say this while not even owning (or even liking) VW as a car brand. And I don't know how about the US, but here in Europe I believe all the negative press actually helped VW and their sales (I would even say this was one of the main reasons they recently became the #1 car maker worldwide). So if this article is really true then that's a huge achievement imho, VW is an ENORMOUS company and having Apple products as corporate standard... RESPECT Tim Cook & co.
    This is the oddest defence of VW  :) The fact that you suspect others to be guilty of the same or similar crimes, and possibly on a grander scale, is hardly a valid excuse. By the same token as one is innocent until proven guilty, one is also guilty when caught, unlucky or not. 
    One more thing - when I say others did it on a grander scale, I'm not talking only about emissions. There have been numerous other scandals involving many car makers over the last few decades and some of them, in my opinion, are far worse than exceeded emissions. Let me ask you this - wouldn't you be worried more about a car company lying to you about the safety of your car? Or the mileage of your car? Or are you telling me what VW (and others did) with the emissions is the worse crime ever recorded in the car industry? I think you don't even need to answer.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Does purposely making their vehicles pass emissions tests when it in fact it shouldn't be able to come standard too? I wouldn't touch anything VW with a 100ft pole. German engineering sucks! Sorry!
  • Reply 24 of 31
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    volcan said:

What VW did was pretty shady no doubt about it.

That however has nothing to do with the new management going iPhone. That is a good coop for Apple.

I for one love my VW (non diesel), but I never buy new, so the company doesn't care about me much.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    volcan said:
    volcan said:
    I'm amazed at the mental gymnastics used to move the goal posts and in general hate on Apple. Amazing.  
    To clarify it was not my intent at all. Apple being perhaps the most reputable and ethical company on the planet associated with a company that engaged in one of the most devious and unethical plots does not sit well with me. I'd sell them all the iPhones they wanted but I would not mention it publicly.
     That is a fair point, but Volkswagen is just a bunch of people. The people associated with the scandal have likely been purged.

An organization buying over a half million phones is a good story for Apple.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 31
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    pepe779 said:
    Or are you telling me what VW (and others did) with the emissions is the worse crime ever recorded in the car industry?
    They did get the largest criminal fine in US history regarding fraud in auto industry $2.8 billion. While I agree with you that there have been many other auto scandals such as GM ignition switches which actually led to deaths. There was a cover up where they were not recalled when they should have been, but the switches were not originally designed specifically to defraud customers. That is the part that upsets me about the VW scandal. It was done with intent to defraud. Saying VW is not the worst is irrelevant to this topic which is about Apple and VW specifically.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 27 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I wonder what Capital One are doing with the watches.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Actually, because iPhones are more energy efficient per unit of computing power delivere versus other smartphones, this is exactly the kind of deal Apple should want to be assiciated.  Here's VW, guilty of a huge emissions scandal that caused untold millions of extra tons of dirty emmissions flooding into the environment.  Now that they are required to behave, one good move they can make amends is to become more environmentally friendly in all aspects of their business.  And using the most environmentally friendly smartphones is one step they can implement.  Apple should want to take credit for providing those phones.  Look past the initial optics and you'd see this. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 31
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    volcan said:
    I'll be glad to be associated with them. Of the 620,000 affiliated members it was a handful of disgraced assholes and that will never taint the entire corporate environment in my mind.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    lkrupp said:
    But, but, but... Surface is destroying the Mac as we watch.
    Some figures, please. Oh, just pulled your comment out of your ass? What a shocker!

That was actually sarcasm.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 31 of 31
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    volcan said:
    pepe779 said:
    Or are you telling me what VW (and others did) with the emissions is the worse crime ever recorded in the car industry?
    They did get the largest criminal fine in US history regarding fraud in auto industry $2.8 billion. While I agree with you that there have been many other auto scandals such as GM ignition switches which actually led to deaths. There was a cover up where they were not recalled when they should have been, but the switches were not originally designed specifically to defraud customers. That is the part that upsets me about the VW scandal. It was done with intent to defraud. Saying VW is not the worst is irrelevant to this topic which is about Apple and VW specifically.
    Well and if you read my very first comment, I have not even mentioned this scandal, I only wanted to praise Apple for this move. It was the "disgrace" comment that I reacted to.