Qualcomm seeks to block US iPhone imports - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jsvr said:
    The counter suit from Qualcomm is pretty hilarious. So does Qualcomm actually think the FTC would ban the iPhone when the FTC themselves have filed suit against Qualcomm for overcharging companies like Apple for royalties? 
    FTC did not file suit against Qualcomm for overcharging. Please read the FTC complaint in the link.

Yes they did. They are charging Qualcomm for violating the FTC Act. Here is a quote from the link I provided:

"According to the complaint, by threatening to disrupt cell phone manufacturers’ supply of baseband processors, Qualcomm obtains elevated royalties and other license terms for its standard-essential patents that manufacturers would otherwise reject."
    But you mistakenly thought it was that same FTC tasked with ruling on the import ban. 
  • Reply 22 of 26
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    I'd say the likelihood of Qualcomm getting an effective import ban on iPhones (i.e. one that survives appeals) in this situation is smaller than the likelihood that Steve Ballmer will be Apple's next CEO.

Okay, that may be a bit of hyperbole.

But not much.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 23 of 26
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    fulcrum said:
    Apple has lost at ITC before when they decided not to pay for Samsung's patents. Its does not seem like a hail Mary from Qualcomm. http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/04/technology/mobile/apple-samsung-itc/
    Yes but Samsung wasn't given an injunction, which is what it wanted.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Could lead to a ruling of patent exhaustion and invalidate their claims. Fingers crossed!

Apple could also file a restraint of trade claim that could delay or prevent such a move, but barring that, there's no reason Apple couldn't aggressively spearhead a hostile takeover of Qualcomm. They have a market cap of $80 billion. If Apple offered Qualcomm shareholders $80-100 per share, they'd jump on it.
    You realize that buying a company for a lot more than they are worth isn't a punishment, right?  And being "forced" to do something like this wouldn't be good for Apple. If Qualcomm prevails at the ITC (a huge IF) Apple would be in a world of hurt. 
    The hostile takeover argument is one that occurred to me as well. It would solve several problems for Apple:  It would make the lawsuits go away, it would gain them exclusive access to Qualcomm chipsets, and it would let them fire Qualcomm management.  That *is* punishment. 
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ktappe said:
    Could lead to a ruling of patent exhaustion and invalidate their claims. Fingers crossed!

Apple could also file a restraint of trade claim that could delay or prevent such a move, but barring that, there's no reason Apple couldn't aggressively spearhead a hostile takeover of Qualcomm. They have a market cap of $80 billion. If Apple offered Qualcomm shareholders $80-100 per share, they'd jump on it.
    You realize that buying a company for a lot more than they are worth isn't a punishment, right?  And being "forced" to do something like this wouldn't be good for Apple. If Qualcomm prevails at the ITC (a huge IF) Apple would be in a world of hurt. 
    The hostile takeover argument is one that occurred to me as well. It would solve several problems for Apple:  It would make the lawsuits go away, it would gain them exclusive access to Qualcomm chipsets, and it would let them fire Qualcomm management.  That *is* punishment. 
    But now they have the headache of owning a company that is a poor fit to their aspirations. 
    mike1pscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 26
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    I can imagine the boardroom when this announcement was delivered to their solicitors.

pscooter63