Apple offers free iPad Pro Smart Keyboard repairs in wake of 'functional issues'

Posted:
in iPad
In light of several technical problems the accessory is having, Apple is reportedly offering a free, three-year repair program for the iPad Pro's Smart Keyboard.

The Keyboard can encounter "functional issues" such as a faulty Smart Connector, or keys repeating, sticking, and failing to respond, MacRumors said on Monday, citing a memo circulated to Apple stores and authorized repair outfits. The program was confirmed in checks by AppleInsider.

Both 9.7- and 12.9-inch versions of the Keyboard are covered under the initiative.

To qualify, owners must ask for repairs within three years of their purchase date and go through official channels, whether a Genius Bar, an authorized service provider, or Apple's phone and online support. The policy is allegedly so new that some support workers may be unfamiliar, in which case it may be necessary to ask for higher-level staff.

Apple has often marketed the Smart Keyboard as an integral part of buying an iPad Pro, helping to put iPads on par with laptops. It includes iOS shortcuts, and doesn't require special pairing or charging.

The company could be preparing new versions of the Keyboard to coincide with an anticipated Pro refresh. On top of revising the 12.9-inch model, it's also expected to ship a new 10.5-inch tablet, possibly with shrunken bezels among other features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Recently, my iPad Pro had been failing to fully charge. It would stay stuck around 94-96% no matter how long I left it plugged in. So after forced rebooting (which did nothing), I killed some of the auto-updating apps in the background and that did it. Back to 100%.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 17
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    My iPad Pro 12.9 keyboard (Gen 1) acts twitchy all the time. It works fine for a while, then just fails to respond to key presses: I then have to disconnect it and reconnect it to get it to work properly.

For its price, it's a mediocre (and ugly-looking, especially it color) product, just not Apple-worthy in its design or functionality. Unfortunately, I have not come across anything better.

Add: My biggest beef with it is the fact that none of its viewing/use positions enable easy use of the Pencil; I wish the design would have allowed for it to be it at a lower angle relative to the surface, so as to be able to rest one's palm during Pencil use.
    edited May 2017 Roger_Fingas
  • Reply 3 of 17
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    My keyboard has been having issues for 2 months. Spacebar only works 1/2 the time...approximately...I am glad to see a program to address.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good third-party (smart-connector, not bluetooth) keyboard?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    DonlanMattDonlanMatt Posts: 21member
    I preordered the keyboard as soon as I could when the 12.9 iPad came out, so I must have one of the firs batches they actually sold, mine has been rock solid with no problems at all with use everyday. Now I don't travel with it often or as much as some people I assume do. I also must take it on and off the keyboard probably 4-5 times a day just to make the iPad lighter while on the couch and my smart connector is fine. Remember how long it tool for these smart keyboards to make it into store they must have had quality control issues maybe thats why it took so long. Hopefully we will see a nice update or a different option of keyboard from Apple next refresh. Still want something that would work better on my lap something more rigid maybe aluminum, but the problem is we all want it super light its a hard tradeoff.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    GrimzahnGrimzahn Posts: 64member
    Mine fails since iOS 10. Apple Care doesnt know about a repair program even with asking superior, nor do the local Apple Store. Does anyone a link to the program? Something official aside of rumor.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 7 of 17
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Apple should do the same for the 1st gen USB-C MacBook. Keyboard failures are common.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    lmac said:
    Apple should do the same for the 1st gen USB-C MacBook. Keyboard failures are common.
    How common? The only thing I've seen is people get crap under the key and then it doesn't function as intended. There are no outright failures that I've heard of. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Mine occasionally acts weird but it always seems to be an iOS problem (focus, lackmof responsivity).

my only complaint with the keyboard itself is that the labels are wearing off. This started months ago. I mentioned this in my product review on Apple's web store but my review isn't visible on the site. WTF, Apple? If I try to write a new review, it tells me I already wrote one. So WTF is it then?
    GeorgeBMacgatorguy
  • Reply 10 of 17
    GrimzahnGrimzahn Posts: 64member
    https://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/

Possible this was a fake news.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macxpress said:
    lmac said:
    How common? The only thing I've seen is people get crap under the key and then it doesn't function as intended. There are no outright failures that I've heard of. 
    Sorry, but in real life, that IS a failure...   Perhaps its a design failure rather than a manufacturing failure.  But still:  a failure...
    avon b7
  • Reply 13 of 17
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    macxpress said:
    lmac said:
    Sorry, but in real life, that IS a failure...   Perhaps its a design failure rather than a manufacturing failure.  But still:  a failure...
    Definitely. One of the most thoroughly understood elements of keyboard design is accumulated grime and gunk. They should be able to withstand normal usage accumulation or have an easy way to remove it.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 17
    I tried to take Apple up on that extended warranty and they told me none exist. What is the truth? This was from their so called senior service tech.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Several of my keys are wearing off (to the point where I’m a little worried it might get through the material), and the bottom rim is beginning to fray a little. The latter makes sense given how much I use it, but... shouldn’t the keys stand up to this? Interestingly, the same keys are wearing off (just the letters) on my desktop keyboard. Guess it’s an English thing.

Something tells me they won’t cover this, though. OH! This is an old thread! Huh...
  • Reply 16 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Several of my keys are wearing off (to the point where I’m a little worried it might get through the material), and the bottom rim is beginning to fray a little. The latter makes sense given how much I use it, but... shouldn’t the keys stand up to this? Interestingly, the same keys are wearing off (just the letters) on my desktop keyboard. Guess it’s an English thing.

Something tells me they won’t cover this, though. OH! This is an old thread! Huh...
    Someone inevitably finds and responds to one of the threads here which are years old. IMO, threads older than a year should be considered for perma-locking.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I recently fixed mine, the reason for failure and 4 different fixes shown here (it now works fine) https://youtu.be/buNYHzMZJdk