(Un)wired for Sound: Using Sonos speakers as a whole-home, Apple-connected audio system

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    This is a much better way to introduce Sonos to the AI readership. The prior article covering the PlayBar was a strange place to start. The PlayBar being sort of an add-on device that would mostly appeal to someone deeply invested in Sonos (like myself)

The reviews here are quite fair and point out must of the pros and cons I have found. 

One thing ink that I hope Sonos keeps working on is software. Their app and software is why their system is so successful and sticky. Unfortunately it's also a bit slow to really integrate with Apple Music as well as I'd like. My main peeve with Sonos App is that I cannot Like or Dislike a track. I seem to remember this being possible with Beats music. And I think you can do it with Spotify, but I don't use that one often to remember. 

Sonos just made an integration into the Spotify App that allows you to dream to Sonos without the Sonos controller. Perhaps they will do this with the other major streaming services? If so, that would no longer requiree Sonos to support the full set of service features in their app, target, just making Sonos-specific features available within native streaming apps. 
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 22 of 27
    polymnia said:
    ...Sonos just made an integration into the Spotify App that allows you to dream to Sonos without the Sonos controller. Perhaps they will do this with the other major streaming services? If so, that would no longer requiree Sonos to support the full set of service features in their app, target, just making Sonos-specific features available within native streaming apps. 
    Exactly. Keep adding support to make it optional.

In saying that, I actually prefer adding favourites to Sonos app (from all audio sources) and go from there.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    polymnia said:
    ...Sonos just made an integration into the Spotify App that allows you to dream to Sonos without the Sonos controller. Perhaps they will do this with the other major streaming services? If so, that would no longer requiree Sonos to support the full set of service features in their app, target, just making Sonos-specific features available within native streaming apps. 
    Exactly. Keep adding support to make it optional.

In saying that, I actually prefer adding favourites to Sonos app (from all audio sources) and go from there.
    I like having all my services available in the Sonos App, too. The best part is queuing up tracks from separate sources without a hiccup. Kind of a unique capability. 

But if the integration into native streaming apps is a better way to take advantage of the unique streaming services' features (e.g. Liking a track), I like adding these integrations. 
  • Reply 24 of 27
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    I was looking at getting into Sonos, but then I came across Bluesound. (bluesound.com) Very similar to sonos but the sound quality is far superior. It's made by NAD Electronics and PSB Speakers. A little more expensive than the sonos. And the app is much easier to use.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    k2kw said:
    Is this website SonosInsider now?    If Apple bought Sonos I would be interested in this a little bit (more once it was integrated with the Apple products better) but not now.
    I'm much more interested in the rumored new Apple product and hoping it scales up to compete with SONOS.
    Oh look, a complainer. Doesn't like the article, but took time out of his day to come inside and tell us so. Also seems to be confusing his personal interests with everyone else's in the entire world.

Since Sonos is part of the iOS ecosystem, it's relevant. I'm interested and have been curious about the new speakers and models. 
    I apologize.  I was being much to cynical.

I hope that they don't limit theses reviews to just Sonos.   Hopefully they can look at how BlueSound works, sounds, and integrates with Apple.  

Either way Apples new speaker could change this market considerably.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    schralpschralp Posts: 25member
    My comment here:

- I'm still waiting for Sonos to come up with an Apple Watch integration. At least with a Back and Fast Fiorward button. When I'm in the bathroom I want to repeat song and don't want to bring my iPhone with me.

Get a Sonos, it's the best. I bought a Bose wifi with Bluetooth, the one that competes in size and price with Sonos 1, but it's horrible. Audio quality is distorted and it doesn't perform so well.
    If I start the music from my iPhone, my watch controls the music; start, stop, ff, rewind and volume control. Doesn't work if started from computer though. I usually control playback from my 1st gen watch...
  • Reply 27 of 27
    schralpschralp Posts: 25member
    Also, I put my entire music library on a time capsule (and keep it updated with new purchases; I buy CDs and rip as apple lossless ALAC) so that it's always available regardless of whether computer is running or not (which is great for my wife and kids when I'm not around). Quality is outstanding with this paradigm and I still have access to the multiple supported streaming services if desired.

I'm using 2 connects with traditional stereo setups and a Play5 in the kitchen.
    edited May 2017