macOS 10.12.5 fixes problems with USB headphones, Windows 10 & more

Posted:
in macOS
In addition to updates for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS, Apple on Monday issued macOS 10.12.5, making various bug and security fixes while laying the groundwork for later Mac releases.

The code solves problems with stutting audio from USB headphones, and allows "media-free" installation of the Windows 10 Creators Update using Boot Camp, according to official release notes. The 10.12.5 update can be installed via the Mac App Store.

The Store has also been enhanced for compatibility with "future software updates," Apple said. It's not clear what changes were made or which updates Apple is referring to, though at its WWDC keynote on June 5, the company is expected to showcase the next edition of macOS alongside various software and hardware announcements.

iOS 10.3.2, watchOS 3.2.2, and tvOS 10.2.1 largely appear to be maintenance updates as well, with no major feature upgrades.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    netlingnetling Posts: 74member
    Also El Captain was updated and Safari for everyone running v10 regardless of OS.  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

• Reply 2 of 8
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Download link for COMBO updater?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    appex said:
    Same place as always.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    lkrupp said:
    appex said:
    Same place as always.
    Which is where...exactly?
    napoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 5 of 8
    glynh said:
    lkrupp said:
    appex said:
    Same place as always.
    Find it yourself? Google perhaps?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    glynh said:
    lkrupp said:
    appex said:
    Same place as always.
    Here it is:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1918?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

All you have to do is go to support.apple.com/downloads and then search for 10.12.5 in the search box and it will appear. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    netlingnetling Posts: 74member
    To those interested with a Mac that has NVIDIA hardware, NVIDIA updated their CUDA Driver Version: 8.0.83.  This is useful for Photoshop, Premiere, Aftereffects.  You can download here:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/cuda_8_0/cudadriver_8.0.83_macos.dmg

• Reply 8 of 8
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member
    I had an issue with the normal mac app store updater.  I had enrolled in the public beta going back to initial betas for Sierra but had chosen to NOT install any of the beta point releases since the Sierra GM released.  As a result there was typically the latest point beta update sitting in my updates sections.  Yesterday, when I went install the release of 10.12.5, I noticed that the update indicated it contain 10.12.5 beta 5 and 10.12.5 release and iTunes 12.6.1.  Unlike in previous combo updates, I had NO option to choose which one(s) I wanted, it was an all or nothing.  The download and update seemed normal ,but once finished, my MBP was still on 10.12.4 and the mac store showed NO new updates.  Rebooting did not fix the issue or kick up any updates.  I wound up downloading the combo updater for 10.12.5 and that installed properly.  

This morning I was texting my adult daughter, also an Apple aficionado, and the exact same thing happened to her!  Apple clearly did not do a rigorous test of the update installer this go around.