Apple Park toured, execs reminisce about Steve Jobs's devotion to and vision of the projec...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I hope we see a proper video of the construction and final result. 

If you want more there's a mid-month drone video that popped up yesterday that shows the progress over the past year with new footage from this past weekend.
    edited May 2017 macxpressdoozydozenpscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 34
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    Sorry about the multiple re posts, multitasking, and failing. The article wasn't to bad though, just not a fan of wired, Apple could make really interesting doccumentary series about this, exploring every aspect of the design, speaking of original content.
    randominternetpersondoozydozen
  • Reply 23 of 34
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I think this building, this whole project has kind of slowed Apple's development of devices during all of this. Once people are moved in and are all together, that Apple will really start to release a lot of new products into the market. Currently, you have people at Apple's main campus and then spread out all over the place in a number of rented buildings around the area. It's going to take another year plus to get people settled into place and working together better. It's long over due and will greatly help Apple in the end.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    This was a great story until the end where Wired felt it necessary to give column inches to all the naysayers and snobs pouring cold water all over this design.
    Yeah, the asshat haters over at MacRumors are pissing all over this. They claim any company building a monument to itself is in trouble and on its way out. And of course there’s the obligatory “Instead of this they should be releasing new Macs” asshattery. How do you go through life being negative on everything?
    What kind of moron thinks the same person who is fitting four-storey windows is the same person designing new Macs?
    Solipscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    holyone said:
    Sorry about the multiple re posts, multitasking, and failing. The article wasn't to bad though, just not a fan of wired, Apple could make really interesting doccumentary series about this, exploring every aspect of the design, speaking of original content.
    I would sign up to Apple Music to watch it. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 26 of 34
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Wouldn't be gone on the photography they used for the article.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ireland said:
    Wouldn't be gone on the photography they used for the article.
    Would be gone where?
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Not sarcastic... My only concern is the the nicks in the metal and the screw in photo 5. That should be replaced. Half-ass craftsmanship. 

Personally, I do love campus 2, I think it is beautiful and the next time I am in the area I will be visiting for a tour.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    lkrupp said:
    They claim any company building a monument to itself is in trouble and on its way out. 
    We'll know they've lost it when they put their name on a sports stadium.
    doozydozenpscooter63
  • Reply 30 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    asdasd said:
    I liked it all except the Pod lighting. I suppose they can bring in their own lamps.
    And to think... the entire building was purchased from Ikea and it only took a few extra years to assemble it all.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 31 of 34
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    I see the glass panels still have their seams, are having trouble eliminating them as originally planned?
  • Reply 32 of 34

flaneur said:
    Great article by Levy so far. Here's a sample sentence:

" It turns out that when you turn a skyscraper on its side, all of its bullying power dissipates into a humble serenity."

But right before that he says "From planes descending to SFO, and even from drones that buzz the building from a hundred feet above it, the Ring looks like an ominous icon, an expression of corporate power, and a what-the-fuck oddity among the malls, highways, and more mundane office parks of suburban Silicon Valley."

Really?  You can't express yourself without dropping the f-bomb?  Perhaps that's in the WIRED style guild: "use shocking--even inappropriate--language frequently."

If as a grown adult you can't bear the sight of adult vocabulary, you have issues. Adults can use big words when they have appropriate contextual meaning. 
    Assuming facts not in evidence. I can "bear the sight" just fine. I just find it tedious that WIRED flaunts conventional language norms for general readership publications. "Oh look at us, we can say 'shit' and 'fuck.'  We're edgy!"  Nah, you're just lazy. 
    iqatedo
  • Reply 33 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    What a waste,  A money pit.  I thought Apple was all about simplicity in their design.  Glass from Germany, a roof from Dubai...really.  Sorry Tim, a bad allocation of 5 billion dollars not to mention the ongoing maintenance and cost associated with maintaining this colossus.  
    I'm going to try to ignore the overall stupidity of your post and instead point out to you that this "simplicity in their design" that you mention comes from excessive attention to detail—just like Apple Park—years of R&D—just like Apple Park—and using the best materials sourced from companies around the world—just like Apple Park.
    edited May 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 34 of 34
    What a great article. Apple Park is insanely incredible. I especially loved how Levy pointed out the humility of a 4 story building relative to the typical corporate skyscraper. The end could have used some of the same perspective when referencing criticisms of Apple Park as not meeting the ideologically-based (i.e. flawed) expectations of the current urban planning fad. Talk about grandiose.. amazon's headquarters are at least a bit ridiculous (with the geodesic domes), google's complex is now a stale, watered down version of a grandiose and ridiculous concept.. I'm not too familiar with facebook's headquarters, except that what I know so far doesn't seem too impressive: obligatory famous architect (Gehry; not knocking him), obligatory "integration" into the community that compromises functional cohesion, lack of originality). Apple Park seems to be an incredible representation of an ideal, necessary integration between people and the planet. It's not an obsequiously manicured French garden, or the overly-saturated English garden, but a perfect balance between nature (including human nature) and function. But, most importantly, Apple Park is true to one of the few, persistent common denominators of modern design: being honest to its physical location and cultural context (also an integral trait of Apple's retail stores). Yet another testament to Jobs' timeless vision was ensuring that the landscaping matched California's natural and cultural landscape by including the native and fruit trees.

God I hope Apple gives tours. It would be truly cruel and unusual for them to build something so great but not let other's appreciate it! I'm prepared to wear a shock collar, ankle bracelet, and put my house up on an NDA. C'mon Apple!!

Also, another thing I noticed, it's interesting that there's so much emphasis in this article on the modular "pod" design as the critical unit of the ring structure. I've been paying very close attention to Apple Park, but I don't remember hearing anything about this until now (other than the obvious entryway separations). It's also interesting how the workstations are homogeneous. This will no doubt help Apple maintain (and likely further facilitate) its functional organizational structure, as well as the somewhat 'start-up' atmosphere and mentality, while still seamlessly incorporating everyone into the larger whole. It will also allow for the free flow of employees by reducing the friction of having employees switch teams. The only thing employees will need to do is grab their "Hang In There" poster, their bobblehead, and  their (*fantastic*) take-out pizza box and they're moved into their new office.
    edited May 2017