Steve Jobs wanted Jeff Goldblum to be 'voice of Apple'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Goldblum was channeling his inner Carl Sagan for the Apartments.com ads.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Goldblum was channeling his inner Carl Sagan for the Apartments.com ads.

Maybe, there is most definitely a bit of Steve Jobs in that Apartments.com character.  When I first saw it I was mildly offended that someone who had been an Apple spokesperson would poke a little fun at our icon.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,043member
    Soli said:
    Jobs was a brilliant man with the ability to hit targets no one else could see, but let's be honest, he had his fair share of bad ideas.
    Don't see the relevance here. Using Goldblum as voice talent isn't a bad idea, he was quite effective in Apple ads. 
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 24 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    Soli said:
    Jobs was a brilliant man with the ability to hit targets no one else could see, but let's be honest, he had his fair share of bad ideas.
    Don't see the relevance here. Using Goldblum as voice talent isn't a bad idea, he was quite effective in hue ads. 
    Personally, not a big fan. Nothing against the guy, but the way he speaks, with mid-sentence pauses and "uhs" that seem like he's lost his train of thought, isn't how I perceive Apple as a company if we're going to give it a single spokesperson to represent it. Not a fan of the ads he did decades ago.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 25 of 37
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Oh man I love his stuttered way of speaking
    This is one of my favorites

• Reply 26 of 37
    LarisLaris Posts: 1member
    Maybe Steven Jobs actually wanted to hire Heinz Pagels, but Pagels fell to his death while cliff climbing in 1988. So Jobs tried to hire Jeff Goldblum playing Heinz Pagels. (Dr. Ian Malcom of Jurassic Park is based on Heinz Pagels.) A good Heinz Pagels quote: "Perhaps our thinking exemplifies a selective system. First lots of random scattered ideas compete for survival. Then comes the selection for what works best —one idea dominates, and this is followed by its amplification. Perhaps the moral is that you never learn anything unless you are willing to take a risk and tolerate a little randomness in your life." The Dreams of Reason, 1988.
    Solitallest skil
  • Reply 27 of 37
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,410member
    I'm a big Goldblum fan and wish he'd done more for the brand. The commercial were great. Apple would never go for it, but having a separate voice for Maps' turn by turn directions, and using Goldblum would be brilliant. 

No matter what character he plays, I always look forward to that measured, halting speech pattern. I don't think any actor would last long as the 'spokesperson' or 'voice' of Apple if they're an 'outsider'.

But I wish he'd had a longer run like Long and Hodgeman. Hodgeman had said he's be happy to get a call back from Apple, but that will never happen.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Dead_PoolDead_Pool Posts: 128member
    "Man, I hate being right all the time"
  • Reply 29 of 37
    anomeanome Posts: 1,544member
    How awesome would it be if Siri had Jeff Goldblum's voice? Oh man I love his stuttered way of speaking
    Personally, I'd prefer Brian Blessed.
    cali said:
    foljs said:
    Soli said:
    He sure did (iPod socks?), but wanting to use Jeff Goldblum for voice work is definitely not one of them.
    iPod socks were awesome!! Why does everyone pretend they were a bad idea?
    It's not so much the idea that was bad, but they were announced at a big event, and given too much attention for many people. Some make it sound like nothing else was announced at the same time, but there was also the U2 iPod, and I think the iPod Photo - the first iPods capable of showing images.
    lowededwookie
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Don't see the relevance here. Using Goldblum as voice talent isn't a bad idea, he was quite effective in hue ads. 
    Personally, not a big fan. Nothing against the guy, but the way he speaks, with mid-sentence pauses and "uhs" that seem like he's lost his train of thought, isn't how I perceive Apple as a company if we're going to give it a single spokesperson to represent it. Not a fan of the ads he did decades ago.
    The rest of the world disagreed with you, and the iMacs sold like crazy, with the help of the ads.  Remember, Apple had zero advertising on TV before the Think Different campaign because they were practically bankrupt at that point.  So Goldblum's persona absolutely helped sell Macs.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    The rest of the world disagreed with you, and the iMacs sold like crazy, with the help of the ads.  Remember, Apple had zero advertising on TV before the Think Different campaign because they were practically bankrupt at that point.  So Goldblum's persona absolutely helped sell Macs.
    Lots of things helped sell Mac, but to say "the rest of the world" is a weird comment. Apple sold the most iPhones ever after the Siri ads air. Do you really think that Zooey Deschanel looking outside a window at the rain and asking Siri if it's raining is why they sold as many they did that quarter and thereafter? I don't.

BTW, I do like Goldblum in movies, and glad to see he's coming back for the next Jurassic World film, but that's a very different than saying he should be the voice of Apple. I love Danny DeVito in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but that doesn't mean I think he should be the voice of Apple. I don't see why any actor should be the voice of Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,162member
    anome said:
    How awesome would it be if Siri had Jeff Goldblum's voice? Oh man I love his stuttered way of speaking
    Personally, I'd prefer Brian Blessed.

Oh. Hell. Yes

anome
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Ever heard very intelligent people speaking? They do it all the time. Except maybe Stephen Hawking but that's because a chimp took over his computer voice. So hope Tony manages to find Yorkshire switch.

• Reply 34 of 37
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Ever heard very intelligent people speaking? They do it all the time. Except maybe Stephen Hawking but that's because a chimp took over his computer voice. So hope Tony manages to find Yorkshire switch.

You're implying that only intelligent people do it? That's a weird stance to take. I don't know how intelligent Goldblum is but it's irrelevant since all people pause whist speaking, and some do it with an odd cadence. I certainly don't want William Shatner or Christopher Walden as the voice of Apple, either. How about we let Apple's products speak for themselves, or, if you really need a figurehead, let it be the goddamn CEO.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

You're implying that only intelligent people do it? That's a weird stance to take. I don't know how intelligent Goldblum is but it's irrelevant since all people pause whist speaking, and some do it with an odd cadence. I certainly don't want William Shatner or Christopher Walden as the voice of Apple, either. How about we let Apple's products speak for themselves, or, if you really need a figurehead, let it be the goddamn CEO.
    No, but you implied that he wasn't that intelligent because it seems he keeps losing his thoughts. I merely made the point that intelligent people often speak the same way as he does so...

And how could you NOT want Christopher Walken as the voice of Apple either?

My God man what is wrong with you.  :D
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

No, but you implied that he wasn't that intelligent because it seems he keeps losing his thoughts. I merely made the point that intelligent people often speak the same way as he does so...

And hoe could you NOT want Christopher Walken as the voice of Apple either?

My God man what is wrong with you.  :D
    I wasn't implying that he wasn't intelligent because of his odd pauses and speech cadence.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Soli said:
    ...he's coming back for the next Jurassic World film…
    Okay, now that universe is just mired in incompetence. No way is a fourth attempt to build one of these parks going to pass any board of directors. How was InGen not shut down and its staff imprisoned after Lost World, anyway? I think that's probably the same universe in which all horror movies take place–because horror movies don't exist in it.