• Reply 21 of 23
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Not with me. 64 GB 6S purchased Jan. ’16, service (for whatever reason) disabled, Feb., 2017.

Tired of finger-pointing. Have gone through hoops. Somehow, failure of the device has become my fault. Won’t mention carrier, billing history is spotless. What irks me, they have audacity to continue billing for services not rendered. Is that .. legal? They've actually altered a contract before without my consent.

Apple customer since 1984, this may be first ‘lemon’.

Didn't purchase AppleCare, device wasn't to be and hasn't been used in harsh environment. Guess I should have. Stuck paying off (and services for) a brick.

Don’t know how much any company values loyalty until you need help  :s  .
    Penny wise, pound foolish. It IS your fault for not getting Apple Care!
    That is harsh.

If there are no clear signs of abuse and he is a long time Apple customer, then some Lee way should be applicable on warranty issues.

It shouldn't all be black and white and AppleCare shouldn't be needed, simply recommended. It wasn't his fault he chose not to buy it. I skipped it too.
    Having bought a product from Apple in the past in no way requires Apple to give you extra support. It's not a savings account where you build interest. The transaction begins and end with the purchase and whatever legal requirements are supported for that state/country. Apple owes you nothing else and you owe Apple nothing else. If you don't want to buy their products then don't do it, but suggest that you made purchases for their sake like some altruistic consumer looking for the giant corporation. Do you not hear how stupid that sounds?
    I disagree. Loyalty (along with others like good faith) should be a factor that is taken into consideration when dealing with borderline cases or any case where lee way can be applied. There is always room for flexibility in such cases and it's exactly why strict unbreakable lines should be avoided in some situations. Just like this one. Common sense and good judgment should always prevail over the jobsworth mentality. It doesn't mean throwing the rule book out.
    1) If that were the case I'd have my own office at Apple Park to try out pre-release products until the day I die.

2) Fuck your stupid entitlement.
    I see you are being obtuse today.

Let me put it another way. Apple already does what I am talking about. Often it depends on who is dealing with your case and how you present it. The issue is for Apple to listen to your point of view and take a decision based on the contextual situation in borderline cases. It should be helping staff at all levels take reasoned decisions. Being a long time client should count towards that.

In the other direction, some staff will simply clean their hands of you by reading you the policy book. There is a fine line to tread but Apple should strive to improve client customer relations where flexibility can be applied.
    Apple has the right to offer service above and beyond what they're contractually obligated to do, but that's business. What you stated is that Apple should be obligated to do so because you bought from them in the past. You feel you're entitled to something else as if you're doing them a favor without any reciprocation when you buy their products. That's why you get a middle finger from me.
    Obligated?
  • Reply 22 of 23
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member

On the topic of customer loyalty, a personal anecdote:

I've been buying Apple products since the late 2009 iMac from an authorised re-seller. The person I interacted with during that transaction was very helpful and I started building up a relationship with her by enquiring about the release of Apple products and buying them from there always.

Now I'm at a point where she'd always ensure that a unit of the latest and greatest iPhone is always reserved for me because she knows I will pick it up.

There are no 256GB Product RED iPhone 7s available here. However, when she was asked by her superiors if she thought they should get one to sell, she immediately contacted me for confirmation.

This is customer loyalty and the benefits of it.

However, it is only a personal relationship between her and I. The store itself (and Apple by extension) has absolutely no obligation beyond my current transaction.

If I break an out-of-warranty iPhone, she cannot pull strings to get it fixed/ replaced free of cost. That is how it should be.

Expecting preferential treatment just because you bought other products from Apple before is misplaced entitlement. Should a person who just bought their first Apple product be given less service for the same problem that a long-time customer also faces, even if they paid the same amount for the product?

Loyalty is an ideal. Apple doesn't have a loyalty program to quantify it, like something that gives you points for each purchase. If they did, you could probably use them for discounts on service or new products.

As it stands now, my buying history does not dictate the services offered on a per-product basis. I have no problem with that.

Soli
  • Reply 23 of 23
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Not with me. 64 GB 6S purchased Jan. ’16, service (for whatever reason) disabled, Feb., 2017.

Tired of finger-pointing. Have gone through hoops. Somehow, failure of the device has become my fault. Won’t mention carrier, billing history is spotless. What irks me, they have audacity to continue billing for services not rendered. Is that .. legal? They've actually altered a contract before without my consent.

Apple customer since 1984, this may be first ‘lemon’.

Didn't purchase AppleCare, device wasn't to be and hasn't been used in harsh environment. Guess I should have. Stuck paying off (and services for) a brick.

Don’t know how much any company values loyalty until you need help  :s  .
    Penny wise, pound foolish. It IS your fault for not getting Apple Care!
    That is harsh.

If there are no clear signs of abuse and he is a long time Apple customer, then some Lee way should be applicable on warranty issues.

It shouldn't all be black and white and AppleCare shouldn't be needed, simply recommended. It wasn't his fault he chose not to buy it. I skipped it too.
    Having bought a product from Apple in the past in no way requires Apple to give you extra support. It's not a savings account where you build interest. The transaction begins and end with the purchase and whatever legal requirements are supported for that state/country. Apple owes you nothing else and you owe Apple nothing else. If you don't want to buy their products then don't do it, but suggest that you made purchases for their sake like some altruistic consumer looking for the giant corporation. Do you not hear how stupid that sounds?
    I disagree. Loyalty (along with others like good faith) should be a factor that is taken into consideration when dealing with borderline cases or any case where lee way can be applied. There is always room for flexibility in such cases and it's exactly why strict unbreakable lines should be avoided in some situations. Just like this one. Common sense and good judgment should always prevail over the jobsworth mentality. It doesn't mean throwing the rule book out.
    1) If that were the case I'd have my own office at Apple Park to try out pre-release products until the day I die.

2) Fuck your stupid entitlement.
    I see you are being obtuse today.

Let me put it another way. Apple already does what I am talking about. Often it depends on who is dealing with your case and how you present it. The issue is for Apple to listen to your point of view and take a decision based on the contextual situation in borderline cases. It should be helping staff at all levels take reasoned decisions. Being a long time client should count towards that.

In the other direction, some staff will simply clean their hands of you by reading you the policy book. There is a fine line to tread but Apple should strive to improve client customer relations where flexibility can be applied.
    Apple has the right to offer service above and beyond what they're contractually obligated to do, but that's business. What you stated is that Apple should be obligated to do so because you bought from them in the past. You feel you're entitled to something else as if you're doing them a favor without any reciprocation when you buy their products. That's why you get a middle finger from me.
    Ok. I went through everything again. 

You are being obtuse.

Nothing I stated said Apple should be obligated. In fact, I didn't even suggest as much.

If after three very clear posts, you still don't get it, I will put you into that same group (like some Apple employees) of people that see the world in black and white. Although I have to ask myself if they are so trigger happy with the middle finger bit.