'Fair Repair Act' proposal in New York under fire by Apple lobbyists

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    farmboyfarmboy Posts: 152member
    wizard69 said:
    This isn't really the point, sure they are packed tight but at the same time you are dealing with subassemblies that can easily be replaced.  That being said people are too focused on iPhone here, these bills target the right to repair for all sorts of things.   In the case of Apple this would include laptops and desktop machines.   A reasonable question here is why shouldn't you be able to buy a replacement SSD from Apple or an independent vendor.    That is an Apple branded part with the same performance specs.    

So should the individual makers of (food products, vacuums, power tools, any electronics, almost anything you buy) be required to make every single component of every single product available for individual sale? Where is the line drawn? How about medical devices and drugs? Just on the mundane level, who bears all the R&D, design costs. inventory costs, carrying costs, quality control, management, shipping, every aspect of running what amounts to a completely separate business, all to make 1% of the public and a couple hundred repair shops happy? It should not be mandated, but if the makers see a profitable way to do it, fine.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 42 of 55
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    farmboy said:
    wizard69 said:
    This isn't really the point, sure they are packed tight but at the same time you are dealing with subassemblies that can easily be replaced.  That being said people are too focused on iPhone here, these bills target the right to repair for all sorts of things.   In the case of Apple this would include laptops and desktop machines.   A reasonable question here is why shouldn't you be able to buy a replacement SSD from Apple or an independent vendor.    That is an Apple branded part with the same performance specs.    

So should the individual makers of (food products, vacuums, power tools, any electronics, almost anything you buy) be required to make every single component of every single product available for individual sale? Where is the line drawn? How about medical devices and drugs? Just on the mundane level, who bears all the R&D, design costs. inventory costs, carrying costs, quality control, management, shipping, every aspect of running what amounts to a completely separate business, all to make 1% of the public and a couple hundred repair shops happy? It should not be mandated, but if the makers see a profitable way to do it, fine.
    You ask questions that legislation is designed to respond to. The easiest solution to the underlying problem is to increase the length of warranty to cover the declared life of the machine.

I think most hi tech companies would balk at the thought. Giving a one year warranty and then wanting to control out of warranty pricing would fall foul to anti competition legislation in some parts of the world.

That legislation is there to protect consumers and the environment as well as stimulating competition.

The quality of legislation will depend on the legislative process.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 43 of 55
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    spice-boy said:
    dysamoria said:
    Ha ha... I don't see this site's forum posters as majority liberal at all. I see it as being largely populated by libertarians.
    Well, libertarians are liberals, even if they don’t consider themselves such. Your point stands, though.
    Libertarians are the "drunk uncle" at a liberal wedding. Libertarians are the opposite of liberals, libertarians believe in "dog eat dog" and "every man for himself" they also tend to be white and middle aged men. 
    There is no such thing as a "libertarian", they just don't want to pay for, and the government be involved in very specific shit (no person really want to live in a dog eat dog world, theyre only OK with it if there is no consequence for them) while otherwise whining about how life is unfair for not giving them everything every single thing the government offers. Essentially, it's a trump/GOP voter.

• Reply 44 of 55
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Soli said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I seriously question that Apple makes a significant amount on repairs.
    I have a few friends that had virtually every major component in their MBPs replaced for something like $320, including next day shipping.
    I need new up and down arrow keys for my Touch Bar Macbook Pro. I can replace them myself. Apple says they'll replace the entire keyboard for ~$500, that's it. Although I usually side with Apple on their consumer policy stuff, I'm a bit sore on this thing.
    If you can do it yourself then why are you sore at Apple? And how are your keys bad in just a handful of months?
    The cursor keys on the new MBP's are badly designed. Mine went bad too. But Apple is fixing them for free; I do not know why Eric is being charged $500.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ktappe said:
    Soli said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I seriously question that Apple makes a significant amount on repairs.
    I have a few friends that had virtually every major component in their MBPs replaced for something like $320, including next day shipping.
    I need new up and down arrow keys for my Touch Bar Macbook Pro. I can replace them myself. Apple says they'll replace the entire keyboard for ~$500, that's it. Although I usually side with Apple on their consumer policy stuff, I'm a bit sore on this thing.
    If you can do it yourself then why are you sore at Apple? And how are your keys bad in just a handful of months?
    The cursor keys on the new MBP's are badly designed. Mine went bad too. But Apple is fixing them for free; I do not know why Eric is being charged $500.
    Clearly you're both under a year if you have MacBook Pros with Touch Bars, so if it's a manufacturer defect or just a bad design it would be replaced for free. Is this an issue outside the US?
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Soli said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    shit happens, man. 

I'm sore because they won't sell me the replacement parts (two lousy plastic keys). 
  • Reply 47 of 55
    foggyhill said:
    spice-boy said:
    dysamoria said:
    Ha ha... I don't see this site's forum posters as majority liberal at all. I see it as being largely populated by libertarians.
    Well, libertarians are liberals, even if they don’t consider themselves such. Your point stands, though.
    Libertarians are the "drunk uncle" at a liberal wedding. Libertarians are the opposite of liberals, libertarians believe in "dog eat dog" and "every man for himself" they also tend to be white and middle aged men. 
    There is no such thing as a "libertarian", they just don't want to pay for, and the government be involved in very specific shit (no person really want to live in a dog eat dog world, theyre only OK with it if there is no consequence for them) while otherwise whining about how life is unfair for not giving them everything every single thing the government offers. Essentially, it's a trump/GOP voter.

I don't even know what you're trying to say with your "no such thing" assertion.  But I hazard the guess that most people who consider themselves libertarians either stayed home in November or voted for the Libertarian candidate.  Trump is no libertarian.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Soli said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    shit happens, man. 

I'm sore because they won't sell me the replacement parts (two lousy plastic keys). 

If you literally just need the key caps for two lousy keys, write a nice email to Apple and explain your situation.  Or as others have said, have Apple repair it for free under warranty.  Your situation sounds made up, frankly.
    icoco3
  • Reply 49 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    foggyhill said:
    spice-boy said:
    dysamoria said:

I don't even know what you're trying to say with your "no such thing" assertion.  But I hazard the guess that most people who consider themselves libertarians either stayed home in November or voted for the Libertarian candidate.  Trump is no libertarian.
    Trump is obviously not a Libertarian. He's also only marginally a Republican... BUT he's not Hillary.
    icoco3
  • Reply 50 of 55
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Soli said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    shit happens, man. 

Why isn't it being repaired under warranty?
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Soli said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    shit happens, man. 

If you literally just need the key caps for two lousy keys, write a nice email to Apple and explain your situation.  Or as others have said, have Apple repair it for free under warranty.  Your situation sounds made up, frankly.
    The problem was caused by some sloshed coffee ("shit happens"). Since it's liquid damage and not a manufacturing defect, they won't do a free replacement. 

I spoke on on the phone with someone at the repair center (they wanted my authorization before doing a paid repair), I asked if they could slip a couple keys in an envelope for me, she asked a manager and was told "no".

what on earth could motivate a person to make up a story like this? Are you daft?
  • Reply 52 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    foggyhill said:
    ...otherwise whining about how life is unfair for not giving them everything every single thing the government offers.
    So you don't seem to know nothing about any of the groups you're failing to discuss. Got it, thanks.
    Eric_WVGG said:
    The problem was caused by some sloshed coffee ("shit happens"). Since it's liquid damage and not a manufacturing defect, they won't do a free replacement. 
    How do you know it's not an electrical issue and just a problem with the mechanical parts of the keycaps themselves? If it's the latter, just grab two of them from eBay or something.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    The keys were "sticky." After Apple looked at it, I removed the keys myself, cleaned the keyboard out with rubbing alcohol, observed that the butterfly mechanisms were damaged (not by being removed, but by being glued into a pushed down position for several days), and went shopping for new keys. This was two months ago, it has been working fine otherwise.

The Touch Bar models are still too new for parts like this to be available on ebay. There are a couple shops online (replacementlaptopkeys.com or something), but they sent me keys for a retina Macbook instead of the Pro. In the meantime I made some "artificial" up/down keys on the Touch Bar using BetterTouchTool and it actually works pretty well!

Regardless: nobody cares about my sad little life. I'm just saying, I love Apple and I think they usually do right by their consumers, I just think it's a little unreasonable for parts to be so difficult to come by.
    edited May 2017 tallest skil
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Eric_WVGG said:
    The keys were "sticky." After Apple looked at it, I removed the keys myself, cleaned the keyboard out with rubbing alcohol, observed that the butterfly mechanisms were damaged (not by being removed, but by being glued into a pushed down position for several days), and went shopping for new keys. This was two months ago, it has been working fine otherwise.

The Touch Bar models are still too new for parts like this to be available on ebay. There are a couple shops online (replacementlaptopkeys.com or something), but they sent me keys for a retina Macbook instead of the Pro. In the meantime I made some "artificial" up/down keys on the Touch Bar using BetterTouchTool and it actually works pretty well!

Regardless: nobody cares about my sad little life. I'm just saying, I love Apple and I think they usually do right by their consumers, I just think it's a little unreasonable for parts to be so difficult to come by.

There is a good chance that Apple itself never does the repair that you're trying to do.  They likely just swap out the whole keyboard, rather than screwing around with the individual keys.  This allows them to minimize complicated inventory issues across a huge network of locations.  Therefore what you're asking for may not even exist--outside of the original assembly plants.  There's a reason that Radio Shack went out of business trying to stock a million parts for a dwindling population of do-it-yourselfers.
    Soli
  • Reply 55 of 55

There is a good chance that Apple itself never does the repair that you're trying to do.  They likely just swap out the whole keyboard, rather than screwing around with the individual keys.  This allows them to minimize complicated inventory issues across a huge network of locations.  Therefore what you're asking for may not even exist--outside of the original assembly plants.  There's a reason that Radio Shack went out of business trying to stock a million parts for a dwindling population of do-it-yourselfers.
    I mostly agree, although I think there's a myriad other, more significant reasons why Radio Shack died…
    edited May 2017