Apple's iPhone SE, iPhone 7 Plus take top spots in customer satisfaction index

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
Apple's iPhone SE and iPhone 7 Plus top a new survey of customer satisfaction amongst U.S. customers surveyed over the span of a year.

ACSI's survey polled 36,194 customers randomly selected between May 2016 and April 2017. The iPhone SE hit the top spot with 87 points, with the iPhone 7 Plus and Galaxy S6 edge+ tying for second at 86 percent.

Both the iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone 7 tied with 83 points. The iPhone 5, 5s and 6s all scored 80 points, with the iPhone 6 hitting 79.

"Over the past few years, the general trend for smartphones has been toward larger screens," said ACSI Managing Director David VanAmburg about the results. "Apparently, consumers were craving a new iteration of a smaller, less expensive phone as the iPhone SE - Apple's first update to a 4-inch phone since 2013 - comes in first in ACSI this year."

The iPhone SE features the A9 processor, and has not been significantly upgraded since it's release in March 2016, beyond a doubling of storage in March. Apple has started manufacturing the device in India, and the phone is a popular lower-cost option to the iPhone 7 family.

AppleInsider called the iPhone SE "a capable, modern smartphone in a compact, ultraportable, proven chassis" in an in-depth examination shortly after original launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    I bet the iPhone 7 did not get higher due to shorter battery life, and lesser camera, which is expected. But interesting to see the SE on there at the top. I think the design is definitely the best. If they sized up that design would be better than the renders we're seeing of the new one. Slab is fab.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 2 of 15
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    It's a solid performer in a solid form factor. Love my iPhone SE.

Ironically, the first Apple product that I fell in love with was a Mac SE. :smiley: 

king editor the gratecalibaconstangpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    S6 edge+ (from 2015) in second spot??? That too ahead of other iphones as well (including 7 and 6s plus)??? Hard to believe. S7 edge (2016) was a much better upgrade to S6 edge+ in last year, surprised to see it not present in the list ahead of S6 edge+.  Along with S6 edge+, Note 5 was released by Samsung which was also a better device objectively speaking. Something seems to be wrong with the sample list of people chosen for the survey.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    S6 edge+ (from 2015) in second spot??? That too ahead of other iphones as well (including 7 and 6s plus)??? Hard to believe. S7 edge (2016) was a much better upgrade to S6 edge+ in last year, surprised to see it not present in the list ahead of S6 edge+.  Along with S6 edge+, Note 5 was released by Samsung which was also a better device objectively speaking. Something seems to be wrong with the sample list of people chosen for the survey.
    I would probably say that their sample is perhaps not from the affluent end of the market. These things always depend on who you ask. Still, the results seem fair enough to me.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Note 7 had "rave reviews". Let that sink in. 
    StrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    AI_lias said:
    I bet the iPhone 7 did not get higher due to shorter battery life, and lesser camera, which is expected. But interesting to see the SE on there at the top. 
    A couple years back, one of the big Apple podcasters (probably Siracusa or Gruber) suggested that rather than the middle form factor being the "sweet spot", it was really the worst of both worlds: too big for folks who want pocket-sized phones, under-powered and under-featured for folks who don't mind carrying their phone in a nap-sack.

I think this is true with laptops as well. If you want lightweight, the basic Macbook is so ideal. If you want power, you get so much more out of the 15". The 13" Pro is just-right for nobody (not *literally* nobody, goddamn pedants) ((ignoring the controversial Touch Bar thing, incidentally)
    pscooter63watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 7 of 15
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    Great phone, great camera, I'm able to sit down when it's in my pocket and it has a headphone jack that I use a lot ( not for headphones ).
    Oh, and a big thing for me are the flat sides ( I use a level app often ).
    That's why I bought the SE, the price was a happy coincidence.
    edited May 2017 watto_cobramacgui
  • Reply 8 of 15
    i hope apple takes the hint and releases new iphones in three form factors (S/M/L) from now on.
    baconstang
  • Reply 9 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Great phone, great camera, I'm able to sit down when it's in my pocket and it has a headphone jack that I use a lot ( not for headphones ).
    I also love how I can set it on its edge to take timed photos. 
    baconstangpscooter63
  • Reply 10 of 15

Ironically, the first Apple product that I fell in love with was a Mac SE. :smiley: 

I think that's "coincidentally", not "ironically".
    watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 11 of 15
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    AI_lias said:
    I bet the iPhone 7 did not get higher due to shorter battery life, and lesser camera, which is expected. But interesting to see the SE on there at the top. 
    A couple years back, one of the big Apple podcasters (probably Siracusa or Gruber) suggested that rather than the middle form factor being the "sweet spot", it was really the worst of both worlds: too big for folks who want pocket-sized phones, under-powered and under-featured for folks who don't mind carrying their phone in a nap-sack.

I think this is true with laptops as well. If you want lightweight, the basic Macbook is so ideal. If you want power, you get so much more out of the 15". The 13" Pro is just-right for nobody (not *literally* nobody, goddamn pedants) ((ignoring the controversial Touch Bar thing, incidentally)

I think I agree with that sentiment. I'd buy the 15" MBP, but only because it can be bought with higher specs (and the lovely Touch Bar thing!).
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Eric_WVGG said:
    AI_lias said:

Never even considered this but it makes so much sense. Mind blown. 
  • Reply 13 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member

My current phone is a 5s which I've had since Day One. I like it for all the reasons you list, and am
    considering an SE for the same reasons.

I'm waiting to see if the 7s/8 have something that I can't live without, but I really love the form factor of the 5/SE.

An upgraded version would be nice. Maybe next year. I'd like the TouchID sensor improved, and to see 3D touch added. It's a great looking phone.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    macgui said:

My current phone is a 5s which I've had since Day One. I like it for all the reasons you list, and am
    considering an SE for the same reasons.

I'm waiting to see if the 7s/8 have something that I can't live without, but I really love the form factor of the 5/SE.

An upgraded version would be nice. Maybe next year. I'd like the TouchID sensor improved, and to see 3D touch added. It's a great looking phone.
    Yeah.  I switched from a 5s.   A bit faster and a much sharper camera.  Also went from 32 to 64GB for yuks.
  • Reply 15 of 15

I think that's "coincidentally", not "ironically".
    Maybe @coolfactor is really Alanis Morissette?  She seemed to be unclear on the meaning of ironic.
    edited May 2017