Garmin steps up against GoPro with new iPhone-connected VIRB 360 action camera

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2017
Garmin on Wednesday announced the VIRB 360, an upcoming action camera capable of shooting 360-degree video at 4K resolution and 30 frames per second.

The VIRB 360 technically supports resolutions up to 5.7K, but normally uses the extra data to automatically stabilize video through VIRB Mobile on iOS or Android, or VIRB Edit on Mac or Windows desktops. Stitching can be done in-camera, including for photos, which support burst and time-lapse modes.

On iOS, VIRB Mobile offers not just standard control, editing, and sharing functions, but livestreaming to YouTube and Facebook.

During recording the camera picks up audio from four microphones, and can be controlled via either buttons or voice commands. A built-in display shows battery life, video modes, and remaining storage -- critical since the device has an hour of battery power, and records to microSD cards up to 128 gigabytes in size. The device is however built to be rugged, and waterproof to a depth of 10 meters, or about 32.8 feet.

The VIRB 360 will cost $799.99 and ship sometime in June. Significantly it should work with GoPro-compatible mounts, making it more palatable to people already invested in the GoPro ecosystem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Good to know, I had enough of GoPro's crap. 
  • Reply 2 of 3
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I've ø experience with GoPro or any small format video gear, but I really like the look and shape of this Garmin kit.  

4K is great and all but for an 'Action Camera' I really want to see it at 60fps, not 30. And 1080/120. I'm being impractical but don't care. The 360º audio is fun. DSP does have its place.

• Reply 3 of 3
    TheBoldenShowTheBoldenShow Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Waiting on Fusion..