Sketchy images of Apple's 'iPhone 8' differ on rear-mounted fingerprint sensor [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Absolutely 100% fake. Apple doesn't design for the sake of design (DFTSOD - DaFTSOD) and these designs are exactly that.

There is absolutely zero advantages of this design and thus CANNOT be Apple's designs at all.

The camera position would not produce clear photos and certainly would not give the depth perseption seen in the current iPhone 7. The fingerprint scanner being in the back will make this inifinitly cumbersome and that just simply isn't Apple's design mantra.

Anyone believing these photos are Apple's work simply don't know Apple at all.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 22 of 38
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Absolutely 100% fake. Apple doesn't design for the sake of design (DFTSOD - DaFTSOD) and these designs are exactly that.

There is absolutely zero advantages of this design and thus CANNOT be Apple's designs at all.

The camera position would not produce clear photos and certainly would not give the depth perseption seen in the current iPhone 7. The fingerprint scanner being in the back will make this inifinitly cumbersome and that just simply isn't Apple's design mantra.

Everyone said iPhone 6 was fake too because Apple would never design such fugly antenna bands.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Hahaha. This looks like something Samscum would do to be "innovative". Not gonna happen.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    It better be fake. I won't be buying an iPhone with home button/Touch ID on the rear of the device. Talk about shitty user experience. I'd take the current bezels ove that.
    Same here. I refuse to buy such as lazy design with zero innovation but a step backward.  I'll stick with my 7+.
    vlscout
  • Reply 25 of 38
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    paxman said:
    It better be fake. I won't be buying an iPhone with home button/Touch ID on the rear of the device. Talk about shitty user experience. I'd take the current bezels ove that.
    My guess is that this is fake. It seems too odd, and were it true the implementation looks awkward. But lets assume it is real - does Apple have a history of shipping products with shitty user experiences? I can only think of one instance personally. So to dismiss it out of hand is silly cuz you just don't know. 
    But yeah, it looks like an April fools joke. :)
    I can dismiss it because how would you use it without having to pick up the device? To me having to pick up the device to unlock it is crappy.

No Apple doesn't have a history of crappy experiences but sometimes they get it wrong like when the latest Apple TV was released with no BT keyboard or remote app support. Or even the Apple Pencil, which I love. I wish it had a power switch. I carry it with me in my work briefcase. Sometimes when I haven't used it in a while and go to use it the battery is almost dead. Sure I can stick in the iPad and get some juice pretty quick but would it have killed them to add a little on/off switch? Sometimes functionality and practicality trump purity. 
    Neither of those two examples created a shitty use experience. Technically flawed perhaps, but neither was a deal breaker. The original iMac hockey puck mouse on the other hand .... 😲
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Anything is possible. This fp sensor location could end up as a transition model for a year or so until the embedded sensor is available. Hardly a major setback for most users. No more of an inconvenience than a missing legacy headphone jack. In all the years I've owned Apple products there have been many changes that haven taken place. I'll just accept it as another change and move on. I don't consider it a problem and I'm sure many other users won't either. I just want a properly working TouchID and if it allows Apple to use a larger display, then that's fine for me. The fp sensor below the Apple logo is sure better than the Galaxy S8 sensor position. Still, this is not a final product, so why get worked up over what amounts to just another rumor.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 38
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    The graduate at work got her new S8 last week. its screen is gorgeous.  Th fingerprint sensor on the back near the camera is... absolute, rolled and stinky crap.  Out of ergonomic reach, you have to shift your hand around trying to find it. Absolutely embarrassing.  And doesn't work near as well as touch id.

If Apple can't stick the touch id under the screen, it should stick with the current Iphone 7 design with touch id on a bezel and if it wants a special edition, whack an OLED screen on a 7+ rather than put touch id on the back.  It is a bad solution. BAD.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 28 of 38
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Apple: Let's release some fake designs to different people, and track who leaks what.
    .. at least that's what I'm hoping..

Hm... I think a back side interface is bad in cars, on tables, on most mounts and stands. Even not that great handheld, in my humble opinion. Also I find it likely to be an extremely shortlived solution, making it a pretty bad overall design solution. If the rumored "life-3D-face-ID-scanner" don't work well enough (in winter, rain, darkness, beards, shades, veils, makeup etc) and the "in-display-fingerprint-reader" isn't ready.. Well.. I'd appreciate if they delayed the big overhaul until tech is mature.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    ignominiignomini Posts: 69member
    There is no way this is real. Having to physically pick up the phone to unlock it is the worst possible thing, like powering up the OS and then turning on the screen with with two different buttons. Cannot happen.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    paxman said:
    My guess is that this is fake. It seems too odd, and were it true the implementation looks awkward. But lets assume it is real - does Apple have a history of shipping products with shitty user experiences? I can only think of one instance personally. So to dismiss it out of hand is silly cuz you just don't know. 
    But yeah, it looks like an April fools joke. :)
    No Apple doesn't have a history of crappy experiences but sometimes they get it wrong like when the latest Apple TV was released with no BT keyboard or remote app support. Or even the Apple Pencil, which I love. I wish it had a power switch. I carry it with me in my work briefcase. Sometimes when I haven't used it in a while and go to use it the battery is almost dead. Sure I can stick in the iPad and get some juice pretty quick but would it have killed them to add a little on/off switch? Sometimes functionality and practicality trump purity. 
    Do the BT trackpad and keyboard have an on/off switch? AirPods? Nope, nope and nope. Less complication with minimal cost is a net win to UX. 
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 31 of 38
    S8 looks much better and modern. Hope this is no where near what final iphone 8 will look like. And pleeeeease.. no fingerprint sensor on the back.. terrible !
    Wait -- how can the S8 look much better when you've also said the sensor on the back is terrible?

The back of the S8 is an awful mess and does not look better. 
  • Reply 32 of 38

Everyone said iPhone 6 was fake too because Apple would never design such fugly antenna bands.
    I believe you said they were ugly. Others didn't care. 
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 33 of 38

fallenjt said:
    Same here. I refuse to buy such as lazy design with zero innovation but a step backward.  I'll stick with my 7+.
    Why are you speaking as if this were real? 
  • Reply 34 of 38
    The Cube was a bad idea, and the Trash Can Mac Pro was an ill-conceived idea. Apple has not had any terrible ideas in the last 20 years. Putting Touch ID on the back would be a terrible idea. It would relegate the "fingerprint ID" feature to a gimmick as opposed to a core feature. Also, the phones in the images look like cheap Apple knock-offs you would buy from a Times Square side street.
    Whenever Apple brings out a major new feature (Touch ID, TouchBar, Retina display, etc.) the anti-Apple crowd tends to yawn and say, "Geez, [insert favorite brand here] has had this for two years!" But Apple's strength is in taking their time with a new technology, to make it so that it's fully embedded, integrated, and intuitive, rather than simply tacked on. Other companies are touting VR, facial recognition, fast charging, etc.—most of which are half-baked, easily thwarted (facial recognition that can be beaten by a digital photo), or don't work at all (or overheat/explode). Apple, on the other hand, tend not to release something until they are damn sure it will work as promised. Which isn't to say they are perfect by any means; they've had a few missteps (Apple Maps, antennaGate), but mostly, they're patient, and will take the time to get it right before sending it out into the world.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    I think personnally this is fake again but...
    if by some odd chance the first product likely to be launch in Steve Jobs Theatre is this bad then the presenters should be boo'd off stage.
    Then fired. 
  • Reply 36 of 38
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member

The iPhone 6 is a logical layout. This just doesn't even come close to logic.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

"...the iPhone 8 will use a new optical fingerprint sensor technology to enable users to place their fingers directly on the OLED display and have the phone scan the print, as an elegant replacement for the existing Touch ID home button.

The screen ratio will change from 16:9 on iPhone 7 to 18.5:9... and ‘invisible’ Infrared sensors will unlock enhanced camera and augmented reality features. Apparently, TSMC discussed these upcoming flagship iPhone features at a Taipei symposium"

via 9-5