US to EU in-flight tablet, notebook ban off, but 'still on the table' as an option

Posted:
in General Discussion
A ban on travelers storing large electronic devices in carry-on luggage will not be applied to flights from Europe to the United States for now, officials have confirmed, but despite ongoing talks on both sides of the Atlantic over the matter, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security insists the ban is 'still on the table,' and could still be introduced in the future.

After the possibility of a ban on notebooks and tablets being carried onto a flight to the U.S. from Europe has been under debate for a number of weeks, the U.S. has confirmed it would not introduce the ban now, persons close to the discussions advised Politico. A European Commission official claims there is "no ban," and that both sides "have agreed to intensify technical talks and try to find a common solution."

The decision by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security supposedly settles the matter, though apparently the ban could still be imposed if future intelligence reveals a new serious risk is on the way. Such a ban is already in force, but limited to flights to the U.S. from Turkey, Morocco, Jordan, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait.

U.S. DHS Secretary John Kelly spoke to the European Home Affairs Commissioner Dimitris Avramopoulos and Transport Commissioner Violeta Bulc on Tuesday via a conference call. Along with the decision to hold off on the ban's expansion, the two sides also discussed working together to improve aviation security.

"While a much-discussed expansion of the ban on large electronic devices in the cabin on flights to the United States was not announced today, the secretary made it clear that an expansion is still on the table," according to a DHS statement released on Tuesday. "Secretary Kelly affirmed he will implement any and all measures necessary to secure commercial aircraft flying to the United States - including prohibiting large electronic devices from the passenger cabin - if the intelligence and threat level warrant it."

It is claimed the U.S. took into account concerns by European officials about the safety of storing personal electronic devices with lithium batteries in an aircraft's cargo hold. In the event of ignition, a lithium battery fire can be contained and extinguished by crew within a cabin, an emergency action that cannot be accomplished if the battery is held in the hold.

The European Aviation Safety Agency updated safety recommendations for airlines in April, advising that personal electronic devices (PEDs) with lithium batteries should be considered as dangerous goods. "When carried by passengers, they should preferably be carried in the passenger cabin. This would enable the crew to react quickly in case an incident involving such PED occurs."

A ban on in-flight electronics would cause other issues for flights from Europe, such as increasing the amount of time it takes to check-in passengers at major airports. Complaints from passengers may also increase, due to an inability for business travelers and tourists to work or entertain themselves during long flights.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    That ban didn't last long. #SoMuchWinning
  • Reply 2 of 17
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Instead of the airlines and EU government going into this whole thing about the possibility of a fire and storing PED in the cargo. They should have just come out and said no ban at this time they had been able to address the concerns and will revaluate at a later date. This way if someone was thinking about doing something bad they would think twice since the airlines may had figure out what to look for. But no the idiots just told the bad actors they still have no idea and they were more concern about a battery in cargo verse someone carrying one on the plane. They just made everyone feel safer.

edited May 2017
  • Reply 3 of 17
    donjuandonjuan Posts: 61member
    Computer catches fire on JetBlue plane just yesterday. Lithium batteries are a risk. I've been burned by one too. 
    http://fox17online.com/2017/05/30/laptop-fire-forces-plane-to-make-precautionary-landing-in-grand-rapids/
  • Reply 4 of 17
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    A ban on flights from US to Europe makes no sense. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

Think about it. All US domestic and outbound international flights pass through the exact same personal/carry-on security. If there is a problem for flying to Europe then that same problem exists for flying, say, from Boston to Atlanta.

If the "intelligence" shows that a ban on large electronics is needed for US->Europe then you have to ban them from all flights, period. That is the inescapable conclusion.

The current proposal defies logic. It is either too much, or too little. But it can't be what is proposed.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    The current US Administration seem incapable of any 'joined up thinking'.
    I guess their Dear 'tweeter' Leader has set an example and like good little soldiers, they are following suit.

If this goes through, I fully expect a raft of court cases to follow. Given the snails pace at which the US legal system moves, I don't think it is inconceivable that Trump will no longer be President when it gets finally resolved.

I won't be going to the USA in the forseeable future.
    ktappeben20
  • Reply 6 of 17
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Having large lithium ion batteries in the cargo hold is a big mistake. If they are in the cabin at least you have a chance to deal with the situation should one occur.
    Soliktappe
  • Reply 7 of 17
    volcan said:
    Having large lithium ion batteries in the cargo hold is a big mistake. If they are in the cabin at least you have a chance to deal with the situation should one occur.
    But it's not like this selective ban on certain passengers from certain countries on certain flights had anything to do with safety of lithium batteries catching fire randomly. 
    ktappe
  • Reply 8 of 17
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Soli said:
    But it's not like this selective ban on certain passengers from certain countries on certain flights had anything to do with safety of lithium batteries catching fire randomly. 
    Well there are lots of other ways to smuggle a bomb onto a plane other than disguised as a laptop and with the right equipment one could be detonated inside the cargo hold remotely with a cell phone from the passenger cabin.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I guess their Dear 'tweeter' Leader has set an example and like good little soldiers, they are following suit.

If this goes through, I fully expect a raft of court cases to follow. Given the snails pace at which the US legal system moves, I don't think it is inconceivable that Trump will no longer be President when it gets finally resolved.

Incapable of thinking? You must have a short memory because a plane has already been blown out of the sky from a bomb. There already is a laptop ban from certain countries and the UK has done the same thing. Is the UK incapable of any "joined up thining" as well? 

Good, we don't want you here. 
    maciekskontakt
  • Reply 10 of 17
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    They already x-ray every device that is carried onboard a flight. Maybe instead of considering a ban they could have the users turn the device on. I don't see a way of making the device function AND have a dangerous cargo inside it. An outright ban is not just moronic but outwardly aggressive. You can see they're trying to hurt Muslims based on what they are doing and who they are doing it to. The rich in the U.S. probably told their contacts "Don't do this or we'll donate money to your opponents next election." But there wasn't enough political $ to stop the ban on Middle Eastern flights.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member

Incapable of thinking? You must have a short memory because a plane has already been blown out of the sky from a bomb. There already is a laptop ban from certain countries and the UK has done the same thing. Is the UK incapable of any "joined up thining" as well? 

If you are thinking about the Pan Am flight 103 that blew up over Lockerbie then yes it was a bomb but it was in the checked baggage not in the carry on.
    The UK is the USA's lap dog when it comes to this sort of thing.
    I've been travelling to and even worked in the USA since 1975 and found it to be a very hospitable place and I have been to 48 out of the 50 states. Only Alaska and Oklahoma to go.  I even spent 20 years working for an American Company. Perhaps I never met you? who knows eh?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    ktappe said:
    They already x-ray every device that is carried onboard a flight. Maybe instead of considering a ban they could have the users turn the device on. I don't see a way of making the device function AND have a dangerous cargo inside it. An outright ban is not just moronic but outwardly aggressive. You can see they're trying to hurt Muslims based on what they are doing and who they are doing it to. The rich in the U.S. probably told their contacts "Don't do this or we'll donate money to your opponents next election." But there wasn't enough political $ to stop the ban on Middle Eastern flights.
    1) TSA have been having passengers turn in their computers for nearly 2(?) decades.

2) I can't think of plenty of ways to make a device turn on and be a Trojan horse. For instance, the battery takes up most of your device, but a small bTtery that only allowed for, say, 5 minutes on an MBP with a 10 hour battery would allow for a reduction in battery capacity from 100% to less than 1% of its original capacity. 

PS: Does anyone remember when the TSA freaked out about the MBA not having a removable battery. They stood around looking at like the primates at the beginning of 2001: A Space Odyssey

• Reply 13 of 17
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

If you are thinking about the Pan Am flight 103 that blew up over Lockerbie then yes it was a bomb but it was in the checked baggage not in the carry on.
    The UK is the USA's lap dog when it comes to this sort of thing.
    I've been travelling to and even worked in the USA since 1975 and found it to be a very hospitable place and I have been to 48 out of the 50 states. Only Alaska and Oklahoma to go.  I even spent 20 years working for an American Company. Perhaps I never met you? who knows eh?
    I'm not talking about the Pan Am flight. The Russian jet that was blown up over Egypt. Look, I'm against the ban but there is obviously intelligence that suggests terrorists are trying to blow up airliners with laptop bombs. Terrorists already have been successful blowing up airliners. I just think it's foolish of you criticizing Trump for trying to protect people. Sure, it's debatable if banning electronics larger than phones is the right thing to do, but still, how is trying to protect people a bad thing? I think it would just be better if they make you turn on your laptop going through security like they used to do or have bomb sniffing dogs at the TSA checkpoints.

You aren't missing anything in Oklahoma. Alaska on the other hand is an awesome state. Are you Canadian?    
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 14 of 17
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    plovell said:
    A ban on flights from US to Europe makes no sense. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

Think about it. All US domestic and outbound international flights pass through the exact same personal/carry-on security. If there is a problem for flying to Europe then that same problem exists for flying, say, from Boston to Atlanta.

If the "intelligence" shows that a ban on large electronics is needed for US->Europe then you have to ban them from all flights, period. That is the inescapable conclusion.

The current proposal defies logic. It is either too much, or too little. But it can't be what is proposed.
    Note exactly true. International flights have different terminals in many places in the USA. For example Newark, NJ (EWR) has flights to Europe from Terminal B, but not neccessarily domestic flights from it. It is just a matter of reorganization. Separate TSA gate for European flight and that's it.
  • Reply 15 of 17

Yes. And previous had that ability so we have new one that does not have this ability. Just think twice and be logical. There are reasons for things to happen. And stop this politics. I have quite opposite view of things, but perhaps because I spent half of life living in system that you are trying to build and most of mature people try run away and have life in healthy system that some people seem to try destroy with great effort. And yes I seem to be older than most of forum participants if you tried to make some sarcastic joke about age.
    edited May 2017
  • Reply 16 of 17
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    volcan said:
    The danger is already here.  There's nothing to stop someone with an electronic device using a large lithium battery from checking the item as opposed to carrying it on the plane.

Today, right now as it's always been I could just as easily decide that I'd rather leave my cheap, Chinese-junk laptop in my check-in luggage.  I'm actually surprised that nothing has caught fire in a plane's cargo-hold yet.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    All solutions are painful. In this time and age we try to work during travel. I would prefer some additional security measures rather than ban. Years ago they were checking laptops with special chemicals detecting explosives. That is stiull possible (and they do it in Heathrow). Why not to make it part of routine?