Apple's Siri home speaker now in manufacturing, may not ship until later in 2017

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Soli said:
    how do you connect your iPhone to your BT speakers? Tell me the steps you take, because I'm under the impression you have to go into Settings » Bluetooth » Click Connect on <name of BT speakers>. 
    I only need to switch with Control Centre on my iPhone - once the initial adding "Bluetooth device (speaker)"  was done. Granted  it's not as smooth as Echo, but it's not a lot of steps either. Usually when I am home, I just swap up my Control Centre and select my speakers and I am done. I only have 2 different set of speakers, name: LIVINGROOM and BEDROOM, which I can choose independently depending on where I want the music at. Once they are connected I can then use Siri to playback music or any other things under Siri capabilities, such as "play xyz song, set up an alarm, etc." The iPhone is still the brain (unlike Echo which take over that function).
  • Reply 42 of 57
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    May be Apple will team up with Amazon competitors like Walmart or Target to  introduce the Siri Speaker. 
  • Reply 43 of 57
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    kevin kee said:
    Soli said:
    how do you connect your iPhone to your BT speakers? Tell me the steps you take, because I'm under the impression you have to go into Settings » Bluetooth » Click Connect on <name of BT speakers>. 
    I only need to switch with Control Centre on my iPhone - once the initial adding "Bluetooth device (speaker)"  was done. Granted  it's not as smooth as Echo, but it's not a lot of steps either. Usually when I am home, I just swap up my Control Centre and select my speakers and I am done. I only have 2 different set of speakers, name: LIVINGROOM and BEDROOM, which I can choose independently depending on where I want the music at. Once they are connected I can then use Siri to playback music or any other things under Siri capabilities, such as "play xyz song, set up an alarm, etc." The iPhone is still the brain (unlike Echo which take over that function).
    Once you're into the connected home world with voice commands I think you'll see the benefits. While Amazon has done a fantastic job out of the gate there's nothing here that Apple shouldn't be able to match. Many (most?) people on this forum scoff at the Echo being useful at all because it's not from Apple, but I'm sure they'll change their tune once Apple has entered the field and I'm certain they will because it's such an obvious field to enter, with clear benefits to saving time, streamlining actions, and making technology more seamless (and fun or invidrisbiel, depending on the action).
  • Reply 44 of 57
    jbdragon said:
    longpath said:
    I'm hoping this proves true. It always seemed less than idea for a HomeKit control center to be on a portable device, and since Apple declined to make the Mac the control center, this seems like a much better option.
    I think it makes far more sense to be on a portable device's.  In this case, the Apple Watch which works great.  Works in every room in my house, in my front and back yard and away from home.  Son I can ask Siri to open and close my garage door, my main way to get in/out of my house. Try opening the garage door using a Siri speaker or a echo or hone.  Put them near a open window and yell really loud?  I think it's so old school to have to rely on some box plugged into a power source.

The Apple Watch works so well.  I can do so much with it.  I saw no point in one of these limited boxes.  Maybe it works for a family to control things.
    You make two mistakes here - first assuming everyone has the same behaviour and preferences as you and second assuming it's just one or the other. You can keep your watch but also have a dedicated device sitting in the kitchen/living room for everyone or in the case of Echo, Dots all through the house. Not everyone wants to wear a (or one specific) watch and not all day. There are also limitations on a watch - the speaker and mic is physically tiny. For me, I listen to music or youtube while I cook so having a speaker that can also set timers or give me recipes in the kitchen is perfect
    mike1
  • Reply 45 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    Eh. I haven't had electronics in my bedroom for over a decade, other than my phone, which is the clock and alarm. I don't need to speak to it because the iphone has my weekly alarm schedules pre set. If I like in seconds I can pull up one of many apps, youtube videos, or local audio files of white noise or chill music, which I have piped to my airpods these days. 

The echo just doesn't seem like a very compelling gizmo. Setting alarm clocks especially. 
    I don't see myself buying echo (or similar products by Apple) either, even though I like the concept. At the moment I already can play music directly from iPhone to my speaker through Siri and BT. So in a sense, I already can do most of what Alexa can with iPhones and wireless speakers. Things like asking time, setting alarm, playing X song, Y playlist, Z apps, etc. Rather than adding another device than do the same job, I would prefer declutter my bedroom.
    Connecting an iPhone to an Echo via BT is just one of a million things you can do with an Echo/Alexa, but focusing on that feature, how do you connect your iPhone to your BT speakers? Tell me the steps you take, because I'm under the impression you have to go into Settings » Bluetooth » Click Connect on <name of BT speakers>. With the Echo, it's as easy as "Alexa connect." This means it's completely hands free, I don't have to have my iPhone out, and I don't have to stop whatever else I'm doing. It's incredibly seamless. I've never had that experience with Siri, but I do expect that to change once a Siri Home device hits the market because the larger, dedicated HW will allow for what Amazon has been offering for years and which simply isn't possible in a pocketable device.
    I'm sure it's also convenient to set your alarms by voice, especially when you're already in bed and then remember you have an earlier than normal appointment. While @StrangeDays  would just as soon get up and fumble for his phone neither you nor I would. 

I would imagine "OK Alexa, start my day" is convenient too if you have IFTTT app and a smart outlet(s). Start the coffee, turn on the bedroom lights and turn on the news with one voice command. Heck just being able to say "Turn off the TV" without walking out to the living room to find the remote or picking up my phone to start an app is nice. Those folks here arguing with you that "my phone can do all that now" have no idea. If/when they buy Apple's hardware for it (if it's more than rumor) they'll suddenly change their tune. Bet on it. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 46 of 57
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Soli said:

razorpit said:
    Soli said:
    razorpit said:
    longpath said:
    I'm hoping this proves true. It always seemed less than idea for a HomeKit control center to be on a portable device, and since Apple declined to make the Mac the control center, this seems like a much better option.
    Genuine question, because to be honest I'm confused by all of this. I thought the AppleTV was suppose to be the bridge/control center for HomeKit. Are you saying there would now be 2 devices? One portable and one not?
    Why can only device be the hub? Why can't either be the hub, or, in a mesh network, all work together? Are you expecting only one device to have access to the internet?
    That's Apple's message not mine. Going by what Apple's explanation of ATV is and all these reports I'm confused.
    I don't recall Apple making that statement. I do recall Apple saying the Mac (or maybe the Mac/PC with iTunes) was the hub I'll see if I can find that clip in a bit. Now, it seems like the cloud is the hub with apps you have open and front and foremost showing up on other devices with the same content loaded, as well as shared clipboards, and even Back to My Mac has been working brilliantly for me, even with a VPN enabled when I'm on public WiFi.

edit: I'd argue that the Mac/PC isn't the hub any longer, but I'd also argue that it's no specific device. Each is just an appendage that does a specific task. Now, if you're talking a HomeKit hub then an iOS-based Apple TV or iOS-based Siri Home could take up that role for many of potential 3rd-party HomeKit capable devices that can connect to the Internet through these other devices or on their own, depending on the type of device.

Here is what I am referring to; https://www.apple.com/ios/home/

"With the Home app, you can easily and securely control all your HomeKit accessories. Ask Siri to turn off the lights from your iPhone. See who’s at the front door on your iPad. And even control things remotely with the help of Apple TV. The Home app makes all your connected devices work harder — and smarter — for you."

I don't understand why people are referring to this speaker as being "Apple's hub" when Apple has already declared the Apple TV the hub. To make things even more confusing you sometimes have to buy a bridge to connect to the hub to make another product work. The whole HomeKit product seems a little bit of a mess right now.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    Eh. I haven't had electronics in my bedroom for over a decade, other than my phone, which is the clock and alarm. I don't need to speak to it because the iphone has my weekly alarm schedules pre set. If I like in seconds I can pull up one of many apps, youtube videos, or local audio files of white noise or chill music, which I have piped to my airpods these days. 

The echo just doesn't seem like a very compelling gizmo. Setting alarm clocks especially. 
    I don't see myself buying echo (or similar products by Apple) either, even though I like the concept. At the moment I already can play music directly from iPhone to my speaker through Siri and BT. So in a sense, I already can do most of what Alexa can with iPhones and wireless speakers. Things like asking time, setting alarm, playing X song, Y playlist, Z apps, etc. Rather than adding another device than do the same job, I would prefer declutter my bedroom.
    Connecting an iPhone to an Echo via BT is just one of a million things you can do with an Echo/Alexa, but focusing on that feature, how do you connect your iPhone to your BT speakers? Tell me the steps you take, because I'm under the impression you have to go into Settings » Bluetooth » Click Connect on <name of BT speakers>. With the Echo, it's as easy as "Alexa connect." This means it's completely hands free, I don't have to have my iPhone out, and I don't have to stop whatever else I'm doing. It's incredibly seamless. I've never had that experience with Siri, but I do expect that to change once a Siri Home device hits the market because the larger, dedicated HW will allow for what Amazon has been offering for years and which simply isn't possible in a pocketable device.
    I'm sure it's also convenient to set your alarms by voice, especially when you're already in bed and then remember you have an earlier than normal appointment. While @StrangeDays  would just as soon get up and fumble for his phone neither you nor I would. 

I would imagine "OK Alexa, start my day" is convenient too if you have IFTTT app and a smart outlet(s). Start the coffee, turn on the bedroom lights and turn on the news with one voice command. Heck just being able to say "Turn off the TV" without walking out to the living room to find the remote or picking up my phone to start an app is nice. Those folks here arguing with you that "my phone can do all that now" have no idea. If/when they buy Apple's hardware for it (if it's more than rumor) they'll suddenly change their tune. Bet on it. 
    He might have Hey Siri enabled, but that still makes your iPhone's display light up. But still, the mics aren't as good so you to raise your voice, enunciate more, and it's simply less effective at this point. With an Echo in my room I practically mumble an alarm while being in that state that's nearly falling asleep without being pulled out of it. Also, the voice is less jarring. It's just a better product for that environment than your iPhone or iPad.

PS: Why does dictation take so long to activate on my MBP when I double-tap the 'fn' keys? If this was instant I'd probably use it more. Siri doesn't seem instant like on the Echo, but it's close to it. Dictation takes a good 5 seconds to initialize.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    If the Apple Siri speaker includes a way to dock an iPad or iPad mini or iPhone, then this would be a cleaver way to include a screen to show things like Recipes, Pictures, Video, Maps, etc. without having to buy another screen device.  

I like having the Echo in the kitchen as a way to play music, get news and general info...but I can see this being taken to a new level with an integrated Apple device that manages more things.  Don't see how this plays with the Apple TV but maybe another way to access video content and stream it a room with the Siri Speaker connected to iPad.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:

More @Gatorguy FUD nonsense-narrative. Besides counting on one hand the number of times I've had to set a forgotten ad hoc alarm in my entire adult life, I can most definitely issue the same exact command to Siri as my phone is charging bedside (nor am blinded by the phone's minimal light-up, an evident concern for Soli). So what are you smoking?

And I already have whole-house automation set to my Siri-dictated HK scenes, such as "Goodnight", which turns off all my household stuff. So again, nonsense. Already doing it, nothing new or unique to Alexa.
    edited June 2017 kevin kee
  • Reply 50 of 57

Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:

He might have Hey Siri enabled, but that still makes your iPhone's display light up. But still, the mics aren't as good so you to raise your voice, enunciate more, and it's simply less effective at this point. With an Echo in my room I practically mumble an alarm while being in that state that's nearly falling asleep without being pulled out of it. Also, the voice is less jarring. It's just a better product for that environment than your iPhone or iPad.
    Strangely I don't have these dictation problems. I can have my device sitting on a table across the room and seem to get by just fine. Setting HK scenes via Siri is stone simple.
    kevin kee
  • Reply 51 of 57
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    Many here forget that Apple works in an "eco-system" mentality. a Siri speaker is a natural add on to this for those that are not currently Apple customers and even better for current customers. Siri is integrated in all products now, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, 4th gen Apple TV, and most recently Mac/OS. It,s not a coincidence that Mac/OS was added. I think Siri is about to go through a major update that will enhance it's capabilities significantly. 

Those that poo-poo the current version of Siri just haven't used it and it seems like you want it to be bad. Here's what I do with it on a daily basis:
    - ask for fastest route to destinations to appointments. While enroute if a faster route becomes available Siri makes a suggestion. If an accident occurs in my route while driving she will alert me. An entrance ramp to the freeway was closed for construction and Siri knew that so she never routed me that way. She knew when it reopened and routed me there.  
    - while driving I ask Siri to make calls on speaker, read new texts, listen to new voicemail messages,
    - I send texts with incredible accuracy. Much faster than typing. 
    - did you know that you can tell Siri to give contacts nicknames? Hey Siri, Jane Doe work is my wife making money. From then on, Hey Siri, call my wife making money will call my wife's work phone number. 
    - hey Siri, who's pitching for the Twins tonight? I get a voice response of both team's pitchers Google assistant just shows my the google search results.
    - I sometimes make dinner reservations at our favorite restaurants. 
    - a lot of queries she will give me the result and tell me that she found an article on Wikipedia and ask me if I would like her to READ it to me.
    - and yes Siri does do some sequential queries 

edited June 2017 kevin kee
  • Reply 52 of 57

Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:

Strangely I don't have these dictation problems. I can have my device sitting on a table across the room and seem to get by just fine. Setting HK scenes via Siri is stone simple.
    So when you double-tap the'fn' key on your Mac dictation starts instantly? I also can't use "Hey Siri" as the beginning of a sentence without it missing the first several words. For example, "Hey Siri, set up a calendar event for the doctor tomorrow at 8:30am." I have to say, "Hey Siri" pause for about 2 seconds, and then continue with the rest of my statement otherwise it comes back with a partial message or some sort of "what do want?" response.

edit: On my 2013 MBP running the latest OS update and spoke the numbers 1 through 20 as soon as I double-tapped the 'fn' key. Here's the result: 910 1112 1314 1516 1718 1920

edit2: My iPhone surprisingly did better. Good on Apple, but let's be clear that this hasn't ever been an issue with the Alexa since day one and Amazon should be given credit where credit is due.

edited June 2017
  • Reply 53 of 57
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:

More @Gatorguy FUD nonsense-narrative. Besides counting on one hand the number of times I've had to set a forgotten ad hoc alarm in my entire adult life, I can most definitely issue the same exact command to Siri as my phone is charging bedside (nor am blinded by the phone's minimal light-up, an evident concern for Soli). So what are you smoking?

And I already have whole-house automation set to my Siri-dictated HK scenes, such as "Goodnight", which turns off all my household stuff. So again, nonsense. Already doing it, nothing new or unique to Alexa.
    Where is the fear, uncertainty, and doubt? It's not a secret that Amazon is far ahead of Apple in the market right now and he's clearly aware that Apple can easily take a lead with an Echo-like product paired with their HomeKit APIs for a smart home.

The only FUD I've seen on this forum are people saying that the Echo is stupid because it's stationary while then talking about making an old iPhone or iPad a stationary device by connecting to a dock that then has additional microphones and speakers in it to make similar to an Echo. I have no doubt Apple will enter this market and then we're going to see the same people that said they have no use for a device like an Echo to then buy Apple's competitor. Do you really think blind brand devotion is good for a tech forum over analyzing the technologies themselves and the finished products? I don't.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Soli said:

Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:

So when you double-tap the'fn' key on your Mac dictation starts instantly? I also can't use "Hey Siri" as the beginning of a sentence without it missing the first several words. For example, "Hey Siri, set up a calendar event for the doctor tomorrow at 8:30am." I have to say, "Hey Siri" pause for about 2 seconds, and then continue with the rest of my statement otherwise it comes back with a partial message or some sort of "what do want?" response.

edit: On my 2013 MBP running the latest OS update and spoke the numbers 1 through 20 as soon as I double-tapped the 'fn' key. Here's the result: 910 1112 1314 1516 1718 1920

edit2: My iPhone surprisingly did better. Good on Apple, but let's be clear that this hasn't ever been an issue with the Alexa since day one and Amazon should be given credit where credit is due.
    I specifically removed your text on fn because I'm not using that use case nor referring to it. With my iPad or iPhone sitting on the desk I have no trouble issuing my HK scenes from across the room on the sofa. 
    kevin kee
  • Reply 55 of 57

Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:

Where is the fear, uncertainty, and doubt? It's not a secret that Amazon is far ahead of Apple in the market right now and he's clearly aware that Apple can easily take a lead with an Echo-like product paired with their HomeKit APIs for a smart home.

The only FUD I've seen on this forum are people saying that the Echo is stupid because it's stationary while then talking about making an old iPhone or iPad a stationary device by connecting to a dock that then has additional microphones and speakers in it to make similar to an Echo. I have no doubt Apple will enter this market and then we're going to see the same people that said they have no use for a device like an Echo to then buy Apple's competitor. Do you really think blind brand devotion is good for a tech forum over analyzing the technologies themselves and the finished products? I don't.
    Are you serious? Get real -- it is certainly FUD for GG to suggest only Alexa can:

- set your alarms by voice (GG's particularly odd BS claim that I would have to "fumble" with my phone to do this)
    - enable easy IFTTT home automation workflows

...as I said, already doing it, nothing new or unique to Alexa.

As for your topic of mobility -- I don't know anyone who's claimed you need to turn an iOS device into a stationary device to use it's voice-activated Siri commands. When I'm laying in bed, yes my iPhone is stationary docked bedside. Great. But when I'm in my den working, it's on the desk. One device, two places. That's better than buying dedicated e-junk to stick everywhere in the house.

Don't even get me started on that stupid looking kitchen terminal Amazon just announced. Or the camera-equipped dressing-aid for the bedroom. This is clearly the "throw enough shit and see what sticks" approach to product development. Apple doesn't play that. 
    edited June 2017 razorpit
  • Reply 56 of 57

Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:

Are you serious? Get real -- it is certainly FUD for GG to suggest only Alexa can:

- set your alarms by voice (GG's particularly odd BS claim that I would have to "fumble" with my phone to do this)
    - enable easy IFTTT home automation workflows

...as I said, already doing it, nothing new or unique to Alexa.

As for your topic of mobility -- I don't know anyone who's claimed you need to turn an iOS device into a stationary device to use it's voice-activated Siri commands. When I'm laying in bed, yes my iPhone is stationary docked bedside. Great. But when I'm in my den working, it's on the desk. One device, two places. That's better than buying dedicated e-junk to stick everywhere in the house.

Don't even get me started on that stupid looking kitchen terminal Amazon just announced. Or the camera-equipped dressing-aid for the bedroom. This is clearly the "throw enough shit and see what sticks" approach to product development. Apple doesn't play that. 
    1) FUD has a certain meaning and it doesn't mean being incorrect. 

2) I don't see where he said ONLY Alexa can use IFTTT or set alarms by voice. I know I said Siri can only have one timer working, which is an issue in the kitchen.

3) Yes, many people on this forum have stated that all apple needs to do is create a dock for an old iDevice Ayer I look Ted out that the microphone and speaker system in the Eho is considerably superior to what Apple can reasonable put into a handheld device.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    levi said:
    Wait a second, something does not sound correct.

Why would Phil come out and say these speakers need a display to be truly functional?  I don't believe the report about no display.
    Perhaps your other Apple device is the display 
    Perhaps Siri Speaker will be based on Apple TV. It would have hdmi out, a remote, plus audio in/out. Video use would be optional, so it could be placed away from a TV. But if you do hook it up to a TV, you have display that you can use the remote with while interacting with Siri. It makes a lot of sense to have Siri Speaker be a part of the Apple TV family.