Apple escalating use of Intel modems for 'iPhone 8' - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member

I see that most people don't understand about latency. When they are taking about megabits per second or megabytes per second. For example 23mbps = to approximately 3 magabytes/s. So when some one claims they get 60mbps on their phone but completely disregarding the latency, which on the cellular connection can be around 100 to 300  Milliseconds where your average cable connection latency would be around 5 to 50 millisecond. Huge difference! So someone with 20 megabit connection but with a ping of 5 milliseconds has way faster connection then someone with a 40 megabit connection but ping ranging in 100's.

• Reply 22 of 31
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    ktappe said:
    Metriacanthosaurus said:

Latency is a far bigger problem than actual bandwidth these days. The focus should shift to improving that.

Agree, but the current administration is working to strip the FCC from any monitoring or oversight of networks. So don't count on the issue being resolved anytime soon.

I never looked to the FCC to improve the quality of service or bandwidth or speed of mobile networks.  That's what market competition is for, right?
    LOL...  That's what the right wing ideology preaches.   It's getting a bit worn and most people have figured out that its a scam.

But, in any case, you performed the standard right wing diversion and responded to something the OP never said. 
  • Reply 23 of 31
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Soli said:
    linkman said:
    volcan said:
    jkichline said:
    Have you used public WiFi anywhere lately? It's terrible and insecure.
    I was at the Apple Store yesterday and they provide public WiFi with no password. I had to reluctantly enter my iCloud password in the clear at the genius bar so they could look at my MBP which was having issues upgrading to macOS Sierra. After an hour and a half wait time, they fixed it in 2 minutes.
    I would understand the reluctance to do so. Their public Wifi is indeed unsecured but the connection to iCloud uses SHA 256 encryption. If someone can crack that please tell me.
    Not knowing how someone can hack a system or recording unsecured local data to then later unencrypt after a bug has been found are always possible. 

That's a man in the middle attack. It would require you to actually connect to the attacker's device and exchange info with it instead of https://icloud.com. If the attacker has the resources to do a MitM attack then it could occur on a secured Wifi connection too because you either connected to a rogue AP or the attacker got into Apple's network. Also, if someone can crack AES encryption to icloud.com then they can probably crack secured Wifi.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    RTC said:
    I have the Intel modem in my iPhone 7 Plus and it sucks. My Samsung Galaxy S8+ and my Xaomi Mi Mix have better signal reception. While I can take calls with these devices while sitting in my living room, the iPhone can't or calls are distorted.
    Maybe it also has to do with the antenna design but I rather suspect the Intel modem.

Just curious to know - why do you have iPhone 7 Plus AND Samsung Galaxy S8+ AND Xiaomi MI Mix at the same time? I know, it is your money and I should mind my business and all that, but still trying to understand the reasons behind someone owning 3 high cost mobiles (Yes, that Xiaomi MI Mix is also a costly phone, at around $600 the odd man out in Xiaomi portfolio) at the same time.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Donvermo said:

ktappe said:
    Metriacanthosaurus said:

Latency is a far bigger problem than actual bandwidth these days. The focus should shift to improving that.

Agree, but the current administration is working to strip the FCC from any monitoring or oversight of networks. So don't count on the issue being resolved anytime soon.

I never looked to the FCC to improve the quality of service or bandwidth or speed of mobile networks.  That's what market competition is for, right?
    Well I think the FCC is supposed to ensure that market competition indeed focuses on that instead of a race to the bottom to see who screws over their customers least. (selling customer data and other weird practices)
    That's not how competition works. The FCC shouldn't be telling companies what to focus on, that's what customers tell companies.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    RTC said:
    I have the Intel modem in my iPhone 7 Plus and it sucks. My Samsung Galaxy S8+ and my Xaomi Mi Mix have better signal reception. While I can take calls with these devices while sitting in my living room, the iPhone can't or calls are distorted.
    Maybe it also has to do with the antenna design but I rather suspect the Intel modem.
    I don't believe you. Why would you own all three phones?
    Soli
  • Reply 27 of 31
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 326member
    RTC said:
    I don't believe you. Why would you own all three phones?
    To test them? I also bought a second hand Nokia Lumia to play with and to feel if it was any good. And at that time was tempted to buy an Android as well. 
  • Reply 28 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    linkman said:
    Soli said:
    linkman said:
    volcan said:
    jkichline said:
    I was at the Apple Store yesterday and they provide public WiFi with no password. I had to reluctantly enter my iCloud password in the clear at the genius bar so they could look at my MBP which was having issues upgrading to macOS Sierra. After an hour and a half wait time, they fixed it in 2 minutes.
    I would understand the reluctance to do so. Their public Wifi is indeed unsecured but the connection to iCloud uses SHA 256 encryption. If someone can crack that please tell me.
    Not knowing how someone can hack a system or recording unsecured local data to then later unencrypt after a bug has been found are always possible. 

That's a man in the middle attack. It would require you to actually connect to the attacker's device…
    Do you not understand the what "middle"means? Grabbed data being sent over an unencrypted wireless network means you DON'T need access to someone's device.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Donvermo said:

ktappe said:
    Metriacanthosaurus said:

Well I think the FCC is supposed to ensure that market competition indeed focuses on that instead of a race to the bottom to see who screws over their customers least. (selling customer data and other weird practices)
    That's not how competition works. The FCC shouldn't be telling companies what to focus on, that's what customers tell companies.
    Nice ideology you have there...   If it worked in real life we wouldn't need a government would we?   Oh!  That's right!  You rightists don't believe in government -- back to the days of the old west when men were men and not bothered by silly laws...
  • Reply 30 of 31
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Soli said:
    linkman said:
    Soli said:
    linkman said:
    volcan said:
    jkichline said:

That's a man in the middle attack. It would require you to actually connect to the attacker's device…
    Do you not understand the what "middle"means? Grabbed data being sent over an unencrypted wireless network means you DON'T need access to someone's device.
    I understand what middle means. Apparently you don't. In the middle means the attacker is in between the server and the client and is not merely an observer. Merely snooping an unencrypted wireless network is not a MitM attack.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    linkman said:
    Soli said:
    linkman said:
    volcan said:
    jkichline said:

That's a man in the middle attack. It would require you to actually connect to the attacker's device and exchange info with it instead of https://icloud.com. If the attacker has the resources to do a MitM attack then it could occur on a secured Wifi connection too because you either connected to a rogue AP or the attacker got into Apple's network. Also, if someone can crack AES encryption to icloud.com then they can probably crack secured Wifi.
    The bug usually isn't in the encryption but the implementation/infrastructure around it.  For example you don't bother trying to break WPA2/AES...you just hack WPS...