Apple-manufactured cases for 10.5-inch iPad Pro updated, new sleeve for Apple Pencil debut...

Posted:
in iPad
Apple has updated its line of iPad cases adding support for the 10.5-inch iPad Pro, in conjunction with the release of a series of Apple Pencil protective casings.

The Apple Pencil Case is a leather enclosure for the Apple pencil. Calling the case "cleanly and precisely designed," Apple has made the accessory available in Saddle Brown, Taupe, Midnight Blue, and Black.

An Apple Pencil Case in any color is $29, and will ship to purchasers for arrival as soon as June 12.

Newly available from Apple are a series of new Smart Covers and Leather Sleeves for the 10.5-inch iPad Pro. The Polyurethane Smart Covers retail for $49, and are available in Mist Blue, Pollen, Flamingo, White, Pink Sand, Midnight Blue, and Charcoal Grey. Leather models in Saddle Brown, Taupe, Midnight Blue, and Black retail for $69.

The Leather Sleeves include a holster for an Apple Pencil. They retail for $129, and come in Saddle Brown, Taupe, Midnight Blue, and Black, the same as the Apple Pencil Case.

Versions of the Smart Covers and Leather Sleeves for the 12.9-inch iPad are available for $59 for the polyurethane Smart Cover, $79 for the leather version, and $149 for the Leather Sleeve.

The 10.5-inch iPad Pro was revealed during Monday's WWDC keynote, with the new mid-size offering in the line receiving a larger 120Hz refresh 10.5-inch display with thinner bezels, the A10X Fusion processor, while still weighing just one pound.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    I can't believe they are not releasing the back cover for the new iPads. I always use a back cover. Seems like an oversight. Before Apple released back covers i bought third party cases for the iPad.
    pbruttogregoriusmirelandspherickaitain4pscooter63AirunJae
  • Reply 2 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Not 100% clear how this works based on the images Apple supplied. Maybe someone from AI can get some better shots at the event.
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 3 of 29
    wreighvenwreighven Posts: 70member
    I agree; this seems like a step backwards. I always keep the back of my iPad protected, and want to use it at the same time. This sleeve seems awkward.
    pbruttokaitain4gregoriusmAirunJae
  • Reply 4 of 29
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Apple is so unbelievably tone-deaf to the needs of their customers. We want a Smart CASE, not a Smart COVER. The Smart Cover doesn't even protect the iPad, because it attaches with a weak MAGNET! And it doesn't protect the back of the iPad either! The Smart Cover, which Apple no longer makes, is actually a REAL GENUINE HONEST-TO-GOODNESS CASE. It protects both the front and back of the iPad, and it actually firmly snaps onto the iPad -- so your iPad is fully protected at all times. It is beyond ridiculous that Apple stopped making these, but continues to peddle the subpar Smart covers.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Not 100% clear how this works based on the images Apple supplied. Maybe someone from AI can get some better shots at the event.
    Those are two different products you are looking at, not two views of the same product. The real story here is the prices. Apple are crazy.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 6 of 29
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Before Apple released back covers i bought third party cases for the iPad.
    And I still do. I would never buy an Apple case at those prices. I found one manufacturer producing very Apple-like cases, completely covering the iPad, for 1/5 of the Apple price (at the time when I bought it). Almost two years later it is still like new and very nice looking. As long as there are such options, I am not going to even look what Apple has to offer.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 7 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    scotty321 said:
    Apple is so unbelievably tone-deaf to the needs of their customers. We want a Smart CASE, not a Smart COVER. The Smart Cover doesn't even protect the iPad, because it attaches with a weak MAGNET! And it doesn't protect the back of the iPad either! The Smart Cover, which Apple no longer makes, is actually a REAL GENUINE HONEST-TO-GOODNESS CASE. It protects both the front and back of the iPad, and it actually firmly snaps onto the iPad -- so your iPad is fully protected at all times. It is beyond ridiculous that Apple stopped making these, but continues to peddle the subpar Smart covers.
    Right, Apple somehow accidentally stumbled it's way into being the most successful company on the planet while being so "unbelievably tone-deaf to the needs of their customers", and somehow still racks up the highest sales and the highest customer satisfaction in the industry, at premium prices. Right. Enough with the extreme hyperbole just because not every single accessory they make is to your liking. This sleeve protects both sides, and there's a million other options from 3rd party case manufacturers. Apple is not obligated to produce every type of case imaginable and cover 100% of everyone's preferences. There's a ton of smart case knockoffs that look and work great, just pick up one of those. And stop speaking as if you represent all of Apple's customers. 
    edited June 2017 2old4funStrangeDaysgregoriusmpscooter63bshankrandominternetpersonroundaboutnowretrogustonetmagepropod
  • Reply 8 of 29
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    slurpy said:
    scotty321 said:
    Right, Apple somehow accidentally stumbled it's way into being the most successful company on the planet while being so "unbelievably tone-deaf to the needs of their customers", and somehow still racks up the highest sales and the highest customer satisfaction in the industry, at premium prices, while being so "tone-deaf". Right. Enough with the extreme hyperbole just because not every single accessory they make is to your liking. This sleeve protects both sides, and there's a million other options from 3rd party case manufacturers. Apple is not obligated to produce every type of case imaginable and cover 100% of everyone's preferences. There's a ton of smart case knockoffs that look and work great, just pick up one of those. And stop speaking as if you represent all of Apple's customers. 
    That's a false rhetoric. Let's not forget that Microsoft was the all in all tech company for a long time, while it still sucked. Being the biggest or richest doesn't convey excellence. Another example would be Steve Ballmer who is still richer than many who are way more useful and smarter.
  • Reply 9 of 29

scotty321 said:
    To be fair, they do have a back and front covers that work well together. Problem is they're sold separately and cost a lot.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    pbruttopbrutto Posts: 30member

scotty321 said:
    To be fair, they do have a back and front covers that work well together. Problem is they're sold separately and cost a lot.
    What Apple made cover is their for the 10.5? That's what we're missing. Has one come out in the 30 minutes since I last looked?
    grkorsgardnetmagespheric
  • Reply 11 of 29
    dwebb66dwebb66 Posts: 7member
    No back cover so I will have by car detailer put the same protective film on the back of the iPad that I have on my car.
    pbruttonetmage
  • Reply 12 of 29
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    scotty321 said:
    "We" do not want a Smart CASE "you " seem to want one. My iPad Pro (12.9) doesn't have a case at all and never has and I have no plans to have one. What you want does not equate to what others want or need. My iPhone 6s+ has a bumper case and that offers everything I want/need. I don't know if you have an iPhone or if so if it has a case, that would be a personal choice for you and none of my business.
    StrangeDaysnetmagefirelock
  • Reply 13 of 29
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    slurpy said:
    scotty321 said:
    Right, Apple somehow accidentally stumbled it's way into being the most successful company on the planet while being so "unbelievably tone-deaf to the needs of their customers", and somehow still racks up the highest sales and the highest customer satisfaction in the industry, at premium prices, while being so "tone-deaf". Right. Enough with the extreme hyperbole just because not every single accessory they make is to your liking. This sleeve protects both sides, and there's a million other options from 3rd party case manufacturers. Apple is not obligated to produce every type of case imaginable and cover 100% of everyone's preferences. There's a ton of smart case knockoffs that look and work great, just pick up one of those. And stop speaking as if you represent all of Apple's customers. 
    That's a false rhetoric. Let's not forget that Microsoft was the all in all tech company for a long time, while it still sucked. Being the biggest or richest doesn't convey excellence. Another example would be Steve Ballmer who is still richer than many who are way more useful and smarter.
    MS got to the top while being a monopoly. Apple is clearly not. Apple is the biggest and most successful public corp in human history, MS was not. Apple has very good customer satisfaction ratings (huge loyal following, lines, etc), despite their success. MS did not. 

So no, it wasn't false rhetoric. Apple doesn't need to build every type of case out there and it's not calamity if they don't make want scotty wants. 
    pscooter63randominternetpersonnetmagepropodsphericredgeminipa
  • Reply 14 of 29
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    slurpy said:
    scotty321 said:
    You're comparing two different types of companies. Microsoft didn't have end users, only customers because their business was (and still is) essentially enterprise. Apple's customers have always been their end users too. Being good only to your customers only leads to big money. Being good to your end users (and customers) can lead to big money and always leads to big loyalty.
    edited June 2017 randominternetpersonredgeminipa
  • Reply 15 of 29
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    scotty321 said:
    As somebody who used to work Apple retail, I assure you that the vast majority of customers only wanted the smart covers.  We rarely sold the full covers, and most of those who wanted that option opted to go 3rd party for something truly heavy duty.  So in general, they are listening to their customers.  

Furthermore Apple is really not a case and cover or accessory company.  They are a hardware and software technology company.  If 3rd party solutions are available it doesn't make sense for them to invest R&D designing cases and covers which have relatively low impact on the company's bottom line. 

I understand that for us Apple loyalist and pro-users we want Apple branded everything and exactly how we want it.  It may seem like the company is tone deaf, but in reality they're right on the mark for the larger consumer base. 
    edited June 2017 gregoriusmpscooter63roundaboutnowretrogustonetmagespheric
  • Reply 16 of 29
    kaitain4kaitain4 Posts: 17member
    pb said:
    Before Apple released back covers i bought third party cases for the iPad.
    And I still do. I would never buy an Apple case at those prices. I found one manufacturer producing very Apple-like cases, completely covering the iPad, for 1/5 of the Apple price (at the time when I bought it). Almost two years later it is still like new and very nice looking. As long as there are such options, I am not going to even look what Apple has to offer.
    Which manufacturer makes the Apple-like cases??
  • Reply 17 of 29
    slurpy said:
    scotty321 said:
    MS got to the top while being a monopoly. Apple is clearly not. Apple is the biggest and most successful public corp in human history, MS was not. Apple has very good customer satisfaction ratings (huge loyal following, lines, etc), despite their success. MS did not. 

So no, it wasn't false rhetoric. Apple doesn't need to build every type of case out there and it's not calamity if they don't make want scotty wants. 
    I don't think his ask is odd, and Apple doesn't need to build "every type of case" to provide the obvious.

Btw, Microsoft was never a monopoly, they tried to be one but obviously couldn't. They just knew how to market their products through the right channels. They bested out Solaris, UNIX, MacOS, IRIX, NeXT, AmigaOS, BeOS and others in 5 short years.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Does anyone know if the new 10.5 leather sleeve will accommodate both the iPad with the Apple keypad?
  • Reply 19 of 29
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    ireland said:
    Those are two different products you are looking at, not two views of the same product. The real story here is the prices. Apple are crazy.
    The prices are the prices for the 'brand.' We have to avoid applying our utilitarian values on 'fashion' items.   I'm sure there will be a $29 faux pleather option from iMore or someone.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Btw, Microsoft was never a monopoly, they tried to be one but obviously couldn't. They just knew how to market their products through the right channels. They bested out Solaris, UNIX, MacOS, IRIX, NeXT, AmigaOS, BeOS and others in 5 short years.
    Case Law disagrees with you.

United States V. Microsoft (1998) [Wikipedia]
      "Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson issued his findings of fact on November 5, 1999, which stated that Microsoft's dominance of the x86-based personal computer operating systems market constituted a monopoly"
    Foliopscooter63retrogusto