Inside iOS 11: Run four iPad apps on screen at once with Apple's newly expanded multitaski...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    dysamoria said:
    paxman said:
    dysamoria said:
    Looks like a mess. A cluttered mess. You know, the thing that iOS was designed to avoid so that computing would be more simplified and less complicated on iPads and iPhones.
    It would make sense to have a toggle switch in the settings to turn multitasking on or off. For a lot of iPad users (not Pro users I guess), multitasking will unnecessarily complicate things. Personally I love it and would love to see a mouse peripheral option. As soon as a mouse was activated you should be able to click to tap with the added functionality of right-clicking. There may be technical reasons why this is not possible but it would make doing a lot of work on the iPad more efficient. 
    Fully agree with toggling this complexity on and off (defaulting to off). The problem that introduces is more complexity itself. Apple would, on average, test one mode far more than the other. Just like all the bugs creeping into the system, clearly the people in charge of determining bug fix priority aren't using their iOS devices the way I use mine. We are both given the same features, and I'm doing nothing wrong by using the features they present. The only possible explanation for the same pile of bugs being introduced in iOS 7 and perpetuated through iOS 11 (the only explanation that is charitable to Apple) is that Apple are simply not using those features. This situation has been getting progressively worse each release.

Adding a different mode of multitasking means Apple would neglect one mode or the other and one group of people choosing to use what they're offered will be screwed with bugs and neglect.
    You make a good point. As far as bugs go Mac OS is definitely gotten buggier since High Sierra, though it was by no means bug free in Sierra. Whether that was just my Macs or generally the case for everyone I have no way of telling. I do know that compared to pre OSX, Mac OS (including OSX) in all its iterations has been pretty amazing. I remember cutting videos on Avid and pretty much everyone would restart the system whenever we had a tea break, or lunch, and often more frequently, just to keep the bugs at bay.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

paxman said:
    dysamoria said:
    Looks like a mess. A cluttered mess. You know, the thing that iOS was designed to avoid so that computing would be more simplified and less complicated on iPads and iPhones.
    It would make sense to have a toggle switch in the settings to turn multitasking on or off. For a lot of iPad users (not Pro users I guess), multitasking will unnecessarily complicate things. Personally I love it and would love to see a mouse peripheral option. As soon as a mouse was activated you should be able to click to tap with the added functionality of right-clicking. There may be technical reasons why this is not possible but it would make doing a lot of work on the iPad more efficient. 
    The thing about multitasking is it is there, but you don't have to use it. When you first turn on the iPad multitasking is available, but if you never use slide-over or split-view or even swipe up from the bottom, then it is just a single app iPad exactly like the original iPad. The difference being, IF you want to use the multitasking features, you can!
    Also a good point. I haven't tried the multi tasking capabilities on the iPad pro's but I imagine most users will hardly ever use multi tasking. One of the mazing things about IOS was that it truly was the first user friendly OS. We always claimed that Mac OS, and OSX were so much more user friendly than windows, but it was marginal. and if you came from a Windows world it was patently untrue. IOS was the first OS a two year old could just use, no training required, no 500 page manuals. To lose that simplicity would be a shame.