AAPL drops in wake of broader tech selloff, claims of throttled 'iPhone 8'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,521member
    gatorguy said:
    Mel, the one thing you and I will absolutely agree on is that there will not be actual gigabit mobile speeds within the next couple of years. But you are really quick to dismiss the possibility, even likelihood IMHO, of mobile speeds far better than what you're getting now and you won't have to wait for 5g in a couple of years(or more). The faster 4G "Gigabit" (OK closer to 300MB) networks are rolling out now. 

What I expect, is that we'll read more junk about how Apple's radios are crippled, despite all evidence that real world, it makes no difference. That's what all of the discussions are about now, and one reason the stock dropped, because one clueless analyst dropped Apple's rating from buy to hold because of it, and all of the idiot investors out there put in sell orders. It's all a bunch of crap.

again, almost no one will be seeing those 300 speeds either. Rolling out some hardware doesn't mean that the software needed to support the speeds will also be rolled out by the carriers in most places, and it won't, just as most places where you should be getting 150MHz/s, you're only getting max, 45. It's all marketing.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 435member
    I think it deals with affordability: iPhone 8 will be more expensive, while lower end iPhones are still too expensive for China and India. So, growth will not be anything more than incremental.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,271member
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    Mel, the one thing you and I will absolutely agree on is that there will not be actual gigabit mobile speeds within the next couple of years. But you are really quick to dismiss the possibility, even likelihood IMHO, of mobile speeds far better than what you're getting now and you won't have to wait for 5g in a couple of years(or more). The faster 4G "Gigabit" (OK closer to 300MB) networks are rolling out now. 

What I expect, is that we'll read more junk about how Apple's radios are crippled, despite all evidence that real world, it makes no difference. That's what all of the discussions are about now, and one reason the stock dropped, because one clueless analyst dropped Apple's rating from buy to hold because of it, and all of the idiot investors out there put in sell orders. It's all a bunch of crap.

again, almost no one will be seeing those 300 speeds either. Rolling out some hardware doesn't mean that the software needed to support the speeds will also be rolled out by the carriers in most places, and it won't, just as most places where you should be getting 150MHz/s, you're only getting max, 45. It's all marketing.
    OK, we'll agree on two things then. For most people most of the time it won't matter in the very near future. Either the handset they use won't support it, tho there will be a dozen or so models that do before the year is out since every 835 endowed handset will support it, or the faster 4G Gigabit network won't (yet?) be up and running in their area. 
  • Reply 24 of 33
    emig647 said:
    I really don't understand the modem issue. The infrastructure isn't even there yet. It doesn't make sense it would put pressure on Apple's stock, but then again I never understand how APPL is so volatile compared to others.
    Exactly.  I think the modem "issue" is a creation of (at best) ab ignorant media desperate for something to print.

All of these firms: Alphabet, Facebook, Netflix, Microsoft, Micron, Skyworks, and Qualcomm, as well as the DAX, Eurostox, FTSE, Nikkei and the Russell 2000 (which does not include AAPL) are down starting Friday.  NONE of these use Intel's slower modems.

Something is going on (and it isn't Mizuho's idiot downgrade either) that's causing the world's markets to sell off, but I can't find the common denominator.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    emig647 said:
    I really don't understand the modem issue. The infrastructure isn't even there yet. It doesn't make sense it would put pressure on Apple's stock, but then again I never understand how APPL is so volatile compared to others.
    Exactly.  I think the modem "issue" is a creation of (at best) ab ignorant media desperate for something to print.

All of these firms: Alphabet, Facebook, Netflix, Microsoft, Micron, Skyworks, and Qualcomm, as well as the DAX, Eurostox, FTSE, Nikkei and the Russell 2000 (which does not include AAPL) are down starting Friday.  NONE of these use Intel's slower modems.

Something is going on (and it isn't Mizuho's idiot downgrade either) that's causing the world's markets to sell off, but I can't find the common denominator.
    Summer is coming...
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 26 of 33

grangerfx said:
    "In practice buyers are unlikely to see those speeds anytime soon"
    True but the speeds for S8 owners will improve over time. Can iPhone 7s/8 owners make the same assumption?
    For the size and types of files cellular users are downloading today, getting gigabit throughput won't generate a discernible difference.

Gigabit speeds will only benefit those downloading much, much larger files, as in AR enabled photos, maps, games, etc, and we won't see those in quantity until after the 2019 models are released.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    99.99% of people are not limited by the damn modem, but other factors. Whatever Apple does in this area will have zero effect on the reception of the phone or sales.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 28 of 33
    melgross said:

I keep asking myself "Who benefits from a bogus story like this?"

I wouldn't be surprised, at all, to learn that Qualcomm's PR department started it through a Qualcomm friendly media outlet, with the intent being to hurt next gen iPhone sales (indirectly benefitting Android sales and by extension Qualcomm)..
  • Reply 29 of 33
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    In the US at least, all the higher bandwidth would amount to, is a way to arrive at your data quota and/or throttling that much faster!
  • Reply 30 of 33
    melgross said:

I keep asking myself "Who benefits from a bogus story like this?"

I wouldn't be surprised, at all, to learn that Qualcomm's PR department started it through a Qualcomm friendly media outlet, with the intent being to hurt next gen iPhone sales (indirectly benefitting Android sales and by extension Qualcomm)..
    I don't have any doubt that Qualcomm might leak this, and they would be one of the few who would actually know outside of Apple. And why wouldn't they? Most companies toot their own horn, and use friendly bloggers to get the word out. That's marketing and promotion. In this case it might also qualify as negotiating. 

...And in the spirit of the game Apple will counter by mobilizing their own army of friendly bloggers to promote a message that "It doesn't matter". Same as it ever was. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 31 of 33
    r00fus1r00fus1 Posts: 65member
    Simple profit taking by the biggest funds.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:

Phones with gigabit downloads are already on the market, including the Samsung Galaxy S8 and the HTC U11. In practice buyers are unlikely to see those speeds anytime soon, since they require ideal conditions and a nearby cellular tower supporting LTE Advanced.
    Spotty in 2017, with Telstra Australia doing the best so far at rolling it out to real live consumers. But T-Mo claims that US mobile customers will see Gigabit LTE this year too, and all the other three big US telcos are well into real-world testing in cities like Houston, New Orleans, Ann Arbor, Atlanta and several others. Worldwide look for around 15 carriers to have it out of testing and in place this year according to what I've read, with another 47 in various stages of prep for next year.  But in all reality most users just won't get a chance to experience better speeds this year either because their smartphone won't have the proper (enabled) hardware or in an area that won't yet be offering it. This should be much bigger and more common late 2017 and into 2018 with several capable phones from major manufacturers being sold and support from the networks they use. 

With that out of the way I don't believe for a second that some rumor of modem speeds in a not-yet-announced iPhone model is behind the tech stock price dip. This correction was discussed and expected well before any of this was even reported. Heck, summer is coming and isn't this kinda traditional? 
    http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/04/tech-stocks-correction.html
    All of that is nonsense. We won't see true Gb speeds until 2020, because the LTE 5 standard, upon which it depends, isn't yet finished, and NO manufacturer of cell tower transmitters have begun building them.

everything else we see being done now is experimental. There's a lot of talk about this, but also a lot of misunderstanding. In fact, it's almost impossible to get the 450MHz/s that a number of cell carriers say they're delivering now. It's very rare to even see 150MHz/s. More likely, in those areas you're seeing 15-45MHz/s.

the truth is, and always will be, that unless you're right next to a tower, those speeds will be more imagination than reality.
    gatorguy said:
    Mel, the one thing you and I will absolutely agree on is that there will not be actual gigabit mobile speeds within the next couple of years. But you are really quick to dismiss the possibility, even likelihood IMHO, of mobile speeds far better than what you're getting now and you won't have to wait for 5g in a couple of years(or more). The faster 4G "Gigabit" (OK closer to 300MB) networks are rolling out now. Note that counter to what you're claiming the speeds that Telstra is factually delivering is in those denser metro areas and not the rural areas. 
    http://cellularinsights.com/telstras-gigabit-class-lte-network-the-work-of-art/

I'll be watching Scandinavia, they always seem to be years ahead of everyone else in data speeds.  What happens here is often tied to more things than technology.

As to AAPL... repeat after me ... it's only on paper ... it's only on paper ...  (that's for my sake mostly!)
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 33 of 33
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    schlack said:
    oh please...with my cell phone already capable of significantly faster throughput than my 75 mbps home broad band connection...gigabit throughput is way low down on my list of nice to have features...but you know...apple...doomed.
    You're doomed with your SSLLLOOOOWWWWWW Home Internet. I have 200Mbps at home. Of course I can hit the CAP all that much faster!!! My iPhone 6 is more then fast enough. What are people doing on their phones they need such fast speeds on a tiny screen phone? So something that takes 5 seconds can take 4 seconds instead? How many years down the road before most people will ever see these faster speeds on their phones? 2-4 years?