High Sierra leaves Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 behind, 2016 edition needs updating

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    rob53 said:
    JimVan said:
    bkkcanuck said:
    I always publish my documents as PDFs (which is internally supported on macOS)....  though when I send them I don't expect them to be modified.  The professor should accept PDFs IMHO -- since it is the most widely supported standard for publishing documents - and he should not need to edit them.
    As a college professor, it's my job to edit student writing. When I have to grade 500 pages of student papers in less than a week at the end of a semester, inserting comments in PDFs is abjectly inefficient.  MS Word and insert comments using TextExpander and voice dictation is the most effective way for me to be productive.
    I didn't realize a college professor edits student writings, you should only be making comments. It's the student's writing not yours. 
    College professors can also be advisors and mentors to grad students working towards their doctorate degree, which requires reviewing and editing a dissertation.  A college professor can help the student to properly edit, format, and revise a document.  The format and content of a dissertation is very specific.  Marking PDFs is very inefficient in that task.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    rob53 said:
    larryjw said:
    rob53 said:
    JimVan said:
    bkkcanuck said:
    I always publish my documents as PDFs (which is internally supported on macOS)....  though when I send them I don't expect them to be modified.  The professor should accept PDFs IMHO -- since it is the most widely supported standard for publishing documents - and he should not need to edit them.
    As a college professor, it's my job to edit student writing. When I have to grade 500 pages of student papers in less than a week at the end of a semester, inserting comments in PDFs is abjectly inefficient.  MS Word and insert comments using TextExpander and voice dictation is the most effective way for me to be productive.
    I didn't realize a college professor edits student writings, you should only be making comments. It's the student's writing not yours. 
    You think you might be a trifling arrogant telling a college professor how to teach?

The college professor is right, at least in my limited experience, on the difficulty of editing PDFs. iOS 11 should help. I'm looking forward to the time when an iPad can be used as an input device to a Mac. 
    Sure. I ended up teaching one of my college courses because the professor knew less than I did (and I didn't get paid for it). I think it's more arrogant to accept college professors as being smarter than many of their students. College professors are there to guide students, not teach them. That's the job of K-12 teachers who really are teachers when they're not acting as parents disciplining the kids.

As for teachers, I have three brothers, a wife, and three sister-in-laws who have been teachers. They all have retired (except my wife still subs). Any one of them could have taught at the college level but felt teaching kids was a better use of their time and skills. 
    Your arrogance continues to be disgusting.  
  • Reply 43 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Office?  Oh I remember now,  that was Steve's project for the Mac Plus that he hired Gates' small company to write and loaned him a Mac Pus with Mac OS with an NDA.  That worked out well for Microsoft investors.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 44 of 45
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    virtual machine emulation to the rescue...
  • Reply 45 of 45
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    slurpy said:
    Honestly, good. Office 2011 for Mac is absolute and utter trash.
    been using 2011 since 2011, had fewer issues once I upgraded to SSD. I mostly use Excel, and Word when I have to.  Hate Office 2016. The last nice version was Office 2003 for Windows. I still run that in a VM when I need to get work done quickly.

Excel = stable. been using excel since it was invented. used microsoft multiplan before that.

Word is famous for wrecking complex documents in Windows and Mac.

MS Word is the biggest impediment to, well, office productivity since the water cooler.