Amazon devours Whole Foods grocery chain for $13.7B, expanding AmazonFresh delivery avenue...

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gatorguy said:
    bshank said:
    Dear Whole Foods:  please continue accepting Apple Pay.  Don't let Amazon cancel that support.

If they don't, Trader Joe's is right across the street from my local Whole Foods, so if they discontinue supporting Pay I'll just go to TJ's
    Why the heck would Amazon have the least bit of interest is stopping the use of Apple Pay? Folks here worry about the silliest things sometime. 
    While I don't see that happening it's not a bizarre concern. Let's remember that Amazon has already been taking on PayPal and even changed their online payment system's name to Amazon Pay to match Apple Pay, like Google and Samsung did.

Then you have Amazon refusing to sell the Apple TV on their online store or release an Amazon Prime TV app for the Apple TV as they try to steer customers to their own Fire TV and Fire Stick TV HW.

edited June 2017
  • Reply 82 of 90
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    bshank said:
    Dear Whole Foods:  please continue accepting Apple Pay.  Don't let Amazon cancel that support.

If they don't, Trader Joe's is right across the street from my local Whole Foods, so if they discontinue supporting Pay I'll just go to TJ's
    Why the heck would Amazon have the least bit of interest is stopping the use of Apple Pay? Folks here worry about the silliest things sometime. 
    While I don't see that happening it's not a bizarre concern. Let's remember that Amazon has already been taking on PayPal and even changed their online payment system's name to Amazon Pay to match Apple Pay, like Google and Samsung did.

Then you have Amazon refusing to sell the Apple TV on their online store or release an Amazon Prime TV app for the Apple TV as they try to steer customers to their own Fire TV and Fire Stick TV HW.

I think I remember reading recently now that Amazon will have a spot on Apple TV that they'll also begins selling them on Amazon. Seems that might have been part of Apple negotiations. So yeah I see what you're saying but there would have to be something to replace it with of more value to Amazon if they were to refuse Apple Pay (which would also be refusing Android Pay and Samsung Pay). Can't imagine what that something could be anytime in the near future.

EDIT: Well after a bit o reading I could be mistaken in thinking not a chance in Hades Amazon would stop accepting Apple Pay. While it's obviously not the same thing a number of larger companies have stopped an offering an app for the Apple Watch. eBay, Amazon, Google and a few others were joined today by ....
    Whole Foods. 

Soli, you might be more right than I am.  

Oh and BTW I also found that Amazon will have their own P2P payment service in competition with Paypal's Venmo by later this year. 
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 83 of 90
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    smaffei said:
    Wow. Congrats to John Mackey and the Whole Foods folks. Should result in same day delivery for more Whole Foods items, greater supply chain and logistics efficiencies that will help press down prices.
    Yeah, um, no…

Bezos has said they are going to automate and layoff employees. Also, they are going to lower the prices of the food so that more lower income people can shop there. Basically, Amazon bought Whole Foods to destroy it.
    "Bezos has said they are going to automate and layoff employees."

No, he didn't. 
  • Reply 84 of 90
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy said:
    bshank said:

Yep. It makes absolutely no sense that a high-end supermarket would deliberately want to offend their customers and reduce choice. For low-cost competitors that could potentially be a real thing.
  • Reply 85 of 90
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    bshank said:

I think I remember reading recently now that Amazon will have a spot on Apple TV that they'll also begins selling them on Amazon. Seems that might have been part of Apple negotiations. So yeah I see what you're saying but there would have to be something to replace it with of more value to Amazon if they were to refuse Apple Pay (which would also be refusing Android Pay and Samsung Pay). Can't imagine what that something could be anytime in the near future. 
    Apple did announce an upcoming Apple TV app from Amazon during the keynote—which I bet was important to Apple because of their UHD content and what I assume is a 4K event in a few months—but I don’t recall any mention of the Apple TV being sold on Amazon.
  • Reply 86 of 90
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    bshank said:

Apple did announce an upcoming Apple TV app from Amazon during the keynote—which I bet was important to Apple because of their UHD content and what I assume is a 4K event in a few months—but I don’t recall any mention of the Apple TV being sold on Amazon.
    Well now I'm not sure if it's official or not. I had read it was sometime back, but like you see nothing confirming that as of today.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkowski/apple-will-announce-amazon-prime-video-coming-to-apple-tv?utm_term=.ewxNAxLrgA#.by3Dv3GWbv
  • Reply 87 of 90
    gatorguy said:
    Well now I'm not sure if it's official or not. I had read it was sometime back, but like you see nothing confirming that as of today.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkowski/apple-will-announce-amazon-prime-video-coming-to-apple-tv?utm_term=.ewxNAxLrgA#.by3Dv3GWbv
    I’d consider a statement from Apple during an event as official. 

edit: I just noticed the date on your Buzzfeed article.

edited June 2017
  • Reply 88 of 90
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Those coal jobs aren't coming back, no matter what Trump says. Do we continue to mine coal when the industry dies organically?  
    How is it dying organically? There is no "organically" anywhere in this argument. Cut all energy subsidies (not constitutional) and you just watch what happens organically.
    It's a finite resource; decline in production is inevitable. 
  • Reply 89 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Any evidence that known supplies or throughput are actually declining? This planet's pretty big. The crust is 2.5*10^19 tons and 2.6 billion cubic miles. I'll bet you there's coal in there that we don't know about.
  • Reply 90 of 90
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Any evidence that known supplies or throughput are actually declining? This planet's pretty big. The crust is 2.5*10^19 tons and 2.6 billion cubic miles. I'll bet you there's coal in there that we don't know about.
    It depends on the region, but yes in some areas. As with oil, as we deplete the low hanging fruit, yields drop and costs go up.

"Geology: In central Appalachia, the wide and easily accessible coal seams are gone, and coal operators in this region are working their way up the cost curve as they exploit harder-to-reach reserves. Coal from this region is more expensive, and our mines are less productive — not because our miners aren’t working hard, but because of basic geology. Coal production in the central Appalachian Basin in 2015 was 40 percent below its annual average level in 2010-14. In three other main coal-producing regions of the country — the northern Appalachian Basin, Rocky Mountain region, and the Powder River Basin in Wyoming and Montana — production in 2015 was 10 to 20 percent below their corresponding regional annual average levels from 2010-14."
    from: http://e360.yale.edu/features/why_us_coal_industry_and_its_jobs_are_not_coming_back

Of course this is only one factor in why coal is in decline, but I really don't want to argue the semantics behind my loose use of "organically" here; that wasn't really the word I was going for. How about "inevitably".