European Union seeks to ban backdoors for encrypted communications

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    jbdragon said:
    dysamoria said:
    Good move by the EU. The EU seems to be the only real sane, pro-society-thinking body in civilization these days; not the Americans or the British.
    Ya, because they got one thing right, maybe.  It hasn't passed yet.  I wouldn't count on it passing either without it being butchered.  Considering all the other things the EU gets wrong.  I'm going to say America is far better place.   It was also the Europe that got up into 2 world wars!!  So thanks!

What things has the EU got so wrong? While being far from perfect, the good far outweighs the bad IMO and one of the biggest benefits has been a lack of military conflict among member states.

I'd say data protection, consumer protection, environmental protection, health legislation, the unification of legislation,  common standards, etc are many examples of things the EU has got right.

My part of the world is on the verge of getting a fine for not reducing particle suspension in pollution. If it weren't for the EU, there would be little incentive for local government to comply.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    jbdragon said:
    dysamoria said:
    Good move by the EU. The EU seems to be the only real sane, pro-society-thinking body in civilization these days; not the Americans or the British.
    Ya, because they got one thing right, maybe.  It hasn't passed yet.  I wouldn't count on it passing either without it being butchered.  Considering all the other things the EU gets wrong.  I'm going to say America is far better place.   It was also the Europe that got up into 2 world wars!!  So thanks!

...and a third one on the way. Thanks Merkel.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    spice-boy said:
    The threat from terrorists is the most over blown threat to society if you look at actual numbers. Look at how many people die in car accidents each year, how many from private guns, how many are killed by the police, preventable diseases, poverty and famine. Terrorism gets big ratings and is constantly in the news to sell advertisement for the news companies. Don't even consider giving away your privacy when societies real threats will more likely do you in before a member of ISIS moves into your block. 
    What the hell are private guns? Also, I didn't realize an inanimate object could just get up all by itself and kill people. 
    Private guns = guns in the hands of private citizens vs guns in the hands of law enforcement or military. 
    "Also, I didn't realize an inanimate object could just get up all by itself and kill people." Okay then why do people own them? Answer= to kill someone or themselves.

• Reply 24 of 34
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    avon b7 said:
    jbdragon said:
    dysamoria said:

What things has the EU got so wrong?
    It could be argued that the destruction of the European Union countries and their replacement with an Islamic caliphate could be construed as a negative.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    gtr said:
    avon b7 said:
    jbdragon said:
    dysamoria said:

It could be argued that the destruction of the European Union countries and their replacement with an Islamic caliphate could be construed as a negative.
    gtr said:
    avon b7 said:
    jbdragon said:
    dysamoria said:

Let me know when they've changed to flag to your caliphate nation's. Until, it's just paranoia of the other. 
  • Reply 26 of 34
    gtr said:
    avon b7 said:
    jbdragon said:
    dysamoria said:

That could never be argued. Historically speaking,  the EU is where it is now, in great part, due to the strong support of its citizens. It is true that there has been a rise in extreme right wing groups but when you dig deeper, even their supporters have few issues with immigration from the rest of the EU.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    gtr said:
    avon b7 said:
    jbdragon said:
    dysamoria said:

gtr said:
    avon b7 said:
    jbdragon said:
    dysamoria said:

Let me know when they've changed to flag to your caliphate nation's. Until, it's just paranoia of the other. 
    avon b7 said:
    gtr said:
    avon b7 said:
    jbdragon said:
    dysamoria said:

That could never be argued. Historically speaking,  the EU is where it is now, in great part, due to the strong support of its citizens. It is true that there has been a rise in extreme right wing groups but when you dig deeper, even their supporters have few issues with immigration from the rest of the EU.

Time will tell, huh?

😉
  • Reply 28 of 34
    joogabahjoogabah Posts: 139member
    spice-boy said:
    The threat from terrorists is the most over blown threat to society if you look at actual numbers. Look at how many people die in car accidents each year, how many from private guns, how many are killed by the police, preventable diseases, poverty and famine. Terrorism gets big ratings and is constantly in the news to sell advertisement for the news companies. Don't even consider giving away your privacy when societies real threats will more likely do you in before a member of ISIS moves into your block. 
    If they cared about human lives they would ban tobacco.  They don’t.  Terrorism is only used to curtail freedoms and governments invoking 
    it are always turning nasty.  
  • Reply 29 of 34
    gtr said:
    gtr said:
    avon b7 said:
    jbdragon said:
    dysamoria said:

gtr said:
    avon b7 said:
    jbdragon said:
    dysamoria said:

avon b7 said:
    gtr said:
    avon b7 said:
    jbdragon said:
    dysamoria said:

Time will tell, huh?

😉
    Yes, but since Brexit and the French elections, surveys suggest a rise in pro EU sentiment.

The EU doesn't do a great job at 'selling' itself and that makes it far easier for minority Eurosceptic (and non-EU) parties to criticise it. The facts, and there are a lot them, are there for all to see but not sold as well as they could be.
    singularity
  • Reply 30 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    avon b7 said:
    Every single action it has ever undertaken.
    the good
    What good?
    ...one of the biggest benefits has been a lack of military conflict among member states.
    You're literally just creating WWIII, you know that, right? First of all, NATO (which also shouldn't exist) prevented war decades before the EU became codified. You're welcome for paying for your defense; the free ride is fucking over. Second, nothing is actually preventing them from going to war if they wanted to do so. You act as though it's "progressive" to behave in this way. You're just building tension far higher than at any other point in history.
    the unification of legislation
    Explain how this is useful to anyone except the legislators without using communist buzzwords.
    avon b7 said:
    ...extreme right wing groups but when you dig deeper, even their supporters have few issues with immigration from the rest of the EU.
    Real cute. Just invent a strawman and make your position look better. Are you fucking paid to do this or something? I'm seeing talking points and buzzwords like I usually only see from paid shills on other websites. You know exactly what the issues are, but you can't address them because you're objectively wrong, so you reframe the argument in a way that makes you look good and boom; as long as you call people names for questioning exactly what you said, they won't be able to return the conversation to where it was.
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 31 of 34
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    avon b7 said:
    Every single action it has ever undertaken.
    the good
    What good?
    Working time directive : millions gain the right to paid holiday. Protection of workers from abusive work patterns and defined dest periids between shifts.
    Erasmus scheme: allowing thousands of students every year to study in a foreign country.
    Ended mobile phone companies ripping customers off on roaming charges
    Setting parental leave
    The right to be forgotten.
    Clean water directive.
    European medicines agency.
    Data protection.
    Flight compensation.
    R.E.A.C.H
    EFSA

Not an exhaustive list by far but proves the EU is not all bad.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    None of what you said required or was contingent upon a supranational union which was founded to destroy all the countries and cultures of Europe. Not a single damn bit of it. I will address a singular point now:
    The EU will be forgotten within a decade.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    None of what you said required or was contingent upon a supranational union which was founded to destroy all the countries and cultures of Europe. Not a single damn bit of it. I will address a singular point now:
    The EU will be forgotten within a decade.
    Of course non on those was contingent on the existence of the EU. But it sped the creation and adoption of those regulations  as law across 28 countries far faster than would expected if it was bilateraly negotiated between all those countries.

As for your statement about it being founded to destroy all those countries and cultures... well it's quite dramatically failed to do that since the treaty of Rome was signed 60 years ago.

• Reply 34 of 34
    And 52% of my fellow British referendum voters acted in the worst interests for the UK.

After getting the "Snoopers Charter" through Parliament, our despotic PM, Theresa May, wants to have all UK citizens fully monitored by surveillance teams based at GCHQ and the NSA. No doubt, Shin Bet and MOSSAD are there in the mix somewhere.