Unicode 10.0 arrives with 56 new emoji characters, likely to see iOS integration soon

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Unicode Consortium on Tuesday released version 10.0 of the Unicode Standard, offering a preview of new text characters and emoji that will likely arrive on Apple platforms like iOS later this year.

Sampling of Emoji 5.0 characters via Emojipedia.

According to an announcement posted to the Unicode Blog, version 10.0 marks the first release in which both the core specification and data files are being made available simultaneously.

The latest Unicode iteration introduces 8,518 characters for a total of 136,690 characters. Four new scripts are also included in the release, bringing the total up to 139 scripts. Of note, the script additions support lesser used languages and specific written requirements like Masaram Gondi, Syriac letters, a set of 285 Hentaigana characters and more.

For iPhone users, the biggest additions for any Unicode launch are emoji characters. Version 10.0 introduces a slate of 56 new emoji including the Bitcoin symbol, a sampling of smiley faces, two dinosaurs, fantasy characters like mages and merpersons, flags, animals, bugs, foods and more.

As outlined by Emojipedia, Emoji 5.0 contains 56 code points that can be modified to create a total of 239 unique emoji.

A member of the Unicode Consortium, Apple is traditionally one of the first consumer manufacturers to implement newly released emoji in its various platforms. Integration normally starts with iOS and trickles down to macOS, though recent releases have seen the company implement Unicode sequences congruently.

Most recently, Apple in December added about 72 new emoji issued with the Unicode 9.9 standard. That particular release also incorporated redrawn and redesigned assets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    That brain emoji looked like piece of meat to me at first. 
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Finally! A puking person emoji.

I'll probably use that more than I expect. 
    JinTechtallest skil
  • Reply 3 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Why do we need wizards, genies, elves, zombies, mermaids, vampires, and pixies? Why do we need… uh, steamy… spoon people? I see that the Unicode Consortium appears to be so sore about BREXIT that they've added BRITUP flags (with Ulster missing, so I suppose they're really not Unionists…)
    macseekerfotoformat
  • Reply 4 of 16
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Well, the new language of the Internet is Emoji.  Looks like I'll be going back to school.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Is that thing yawning or tearing out it's own eyeballs?

I'm going to go with the 2nd option...there are some things I've seen that can't be unseen.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Why do we need wizards, genies, elves, zombies, mermaids, vampires, and pixies? Why do we need… uh, steamy… spoon people? I see that the Unicode Consortium appears to be so sore about BREXIT that they've added BRITUP flags (with Ulster missing, so I suppose they're really not Unionists…)
    Seems to be pushing a post Brexit British seperation. 

I'm guessing who was in charge of this release is a massive tolkin fan.
    The Unicode foundation seem to live in a collected fantasy land of fantasy lands.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I'm glad for some of these, like the raised eyebrow.

But how on Earth is there still no FACEPALM emoji!?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I'll be using the puke emoji for every forward I get, followed by the cussing emoji. They will be the only 2 emojis I will ever use.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    pixelpppixelpp Posts: 2member
    I hope they fix the flag of Nepal! The flag of Nepal is not rectangle!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    It's taken far too long to get the Saltire flag in the set.  B)
  • Reply 11 of 16
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member

There has been for a while now.

🤦‍♂️
  • Reply 12 of 16

ߤ氟ﻦzwj;♂️ߤ氟ﻦzwj;♀️

Oh, hooray. The facepalm emoji (both of which I posted above) appear before you hit post. After you hit post, they show up as Chinese characters. If you edit your post, they show up as Manding, Chinese, Arabic, and Roman characters, as well as the male and female symbols… and apparently those stay in place when you hit commit again. Weird. Thanks, Quiller!
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 13 of 16
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Why do we need wizards, genies, elves, zombies, mermaids, vampires, and pixies? Why do we need… uh, steamy… spoon people? 
    macseeker said:
    Well, the new language of the Internet is Emoji.  Looks like I'll be going back to school.
    I really don't understand the importance that has been placed on emojis.   And even if the ability to use graphic symbols is important, why are the ones chosen so idiotic?   Or for that matter the way Apple has been running ads pushing those stupid stickers.   Or those idiot apps that give people cartoon dog faces.    Has the entire world become 8-year-old girls?   (With apologies to the smarter 8-year-old girls, of which there are many).  

Haven't we dumbed down western societies enough?  Or are the members of the Unicode consortium playing some kind of performance art joke on all of us?

tallest skil
  • Reply 14 of 16
    zoetmb said:
    Haven't we dumbed down western societies enough?  Or are the members of the Unicode consortium playing some kind of performance art joke on all of us?
    The Eleventh Edition is the definitive edition. We’re getting the language into its final shape–the shape it’s going to have when nobody speaks anything else. When we’ve finished with it, people like you will have to learn it all over again. You think, I dare say, that our chief job is inventing new words. But not a bit of it! We’re destroying words–scores of them, hundreds of them, every day. We’re cutting the language down to the bone. The Eleventh Edition won’t contain a single word that will become obsolete before the year 2050. It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words. Of course the great wastage is in the verbs and adjectives, but there are hundreds of nouns that can be got rid of as well. It isn't only the synonyms; there are also the antonyms. After all, what justification is there for a word which is simply the opposite of some other word? A word contains its opposite in itself. Take "good", for instance. If you have a word like "good", what need is there for a word like "bad"? “Ungood" will do just as well–better, because it's an exact opposite, which the other is not. Or again, if you want a stronger version of "good", what sense is there in having a whole string of vague useless words like "excellent" and "splendid" and all the rest of them? "Plusgood" covers the meaning, or "doubleplusgood" if you want something stronger still. Of course we use those forms already. but in the final version of Newspeak there'll be nothing else. In the end the whole notion of goodness and badness will be covered by only six words–in reality, only one word. Don’t you see the beauty of that, Winston? Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it. Every concept that can ever be needed, will be expressed by exactly one word, with its meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings rubbed out and forgotten. Already, in the Eleventh Edition, we’re not far from that point. But the process will still be continuing long after you and I are dead. Every year fewer and fewer words, and the range of consciousness always a little smaller. Even now, of course, there’s no reason or excuse for committing thoughtcrime. It’s merely a question of self-discipline, reality-control. But in the end there won’t be any need even for that. The Revolution will be complete when the language is perfect. Newspeak is Ingsoc and Ingsoc is Newspeak. Has it ever occurred to you, Winston, that by the year 2050, at the very latest, not a single human being will be alive who could understand such a conversation as we are having now?  Syme1984, George Orwell
    edited June 2017
  • Reply 15 of 16
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Another problem: if the Unicode Emoji list keeps getting updated and expanded, there are a huge number of users (the majority) without access to them, because they're stuck on outdated Android. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 16 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I'm not an emoji user and barely use emoticons. 

But some of they later emoji are quite useful and nice looking. LOVE the raised eyebrow. There's a lot of crap to wade through. 

There may be some limited emoji punctuation in my future but they'll never be a language for me.