Former Apple executive Chris Lattner leaves Tesla after 6 months on the job

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,703member
    smaffei said:
    Agree, if Lattner really is interested in cars and autopilot, maybe Apple could use him on their project (whatever that turns out to be), haven't heard bad things about him from Apple or people at Apple so perhaps no hard feelings?
    Yeah, Apple isn't going to do that. Then, that sends a message to other key employees that it's OK to jump ship because you can come back if you want to. That would make Apple a career stepping stone instead of a career destination. They won't foster that type of environment.

To Apple, it's a religion and you've excommunicated yourself.
    Well, that's not really true.  If they need him, they will hire him back.  Even Steve Jobs was fired and hired back.

According to the article below, you can leave Apple and come back after 2 years and still retain your seniority.
    Chris has only been out for 6 months.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-employees-can-return-after-2-years-away-2013-3

Time will tell.
    edited June 2017 StrangeDaysdysamoria
  • Reply 22 of 49
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Chris should just go back to Apple's Swift team or perhaps work on the Autonomous Systems effort.

I have a gut feeling that the Tesla software is a bowl of spaghetti in desperate need of a rewrite.
    Not to worry, Tesla can license a Car OS from Apple soon.  Tesla needs to get rid of that dated console UI anyway.
    Apple doesn't license OS platforms to anyone. Chris won't get a second chance.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 49
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Chris should just go back to Apple's Swift team or perhaps work on the Autonomous Systems effort.

I have a gut feeling that the Tesla software is a bowl of spaghetti in desperate need of a rewrite.
    Not to worry, Tesla can license a Car OS from Apple soon.  Tesla needs to get rid of that dated console UI anyway.
    Yes because Apple is "expert" on automotive industry. Well it takes years and learning from automotive companies. That ain't your toy GPS or Internet pulled data. It is complex multidimentional robotic system of inputs and outputs. Scientific model is good... for laboratory. It becomes no good when causes first accident or car failure soon.

Apple's been working on this project for over a decade.
  • Reply 24 of 49

I think they will have to license their autonomous systems to others or partner with others similar to CarPlay.  (Hardware, Firmware and Software)
    Tim Cook said Apple does not plan to mass produce cars, let alone airplanes.

Apple for example bought Coherent Navigations in 2015 and I believe they are working with Boeing and Iridium on autonomous systems for airplanes amongst other things.
    Apple has a team in Canada working on iOS based Car OS.  They have hired QNX founder Dan Dodge and other QNX employees for the effort.

• Reply 25 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mattinoz said:
    A swift transition then?
    He was swiftly shown the door.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    smaffei said:
    Agree, if Lattner really is interested in cars and autopilot, maybe Apple could use him on their project (whatever that turns out to be), haven't heard bad things about him from Apple or people at Apple so perhaps no hard feelings?
    Yeah, Apple isn't going to do that. Then, that sends a message to other key employees that it's OK to jump ship because you can come back if you want to. That would make Apple a career stepping stone instead of a career destination. They won't foster that type of environment.

Well, that's not really true.  If they need him, they will hire him back.  Even Steve Jobs was fired and hired back.

According to the article below, you can leave Apple and come back after 2 years and still retain your seniority.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-employees-can-return-after-2-years-away-2013-3

Time will tell.
    I think the embarrassment alone will keep him away.
  • Reply 27 of 49

I think they will have to license their autonomous systems to others or partner with others similar to CarPlay.  (Hardware, Firmware and Software)

Apple for example bought Coherent Navigations in 2015 and I believe they are working with Boeing and Iridium on autonomous systems for airplanes amongst other things.
    Apple has a team in Canada working on iOS based Car OS.  They have hired QNX founder Dan Dodge and other QNX employees for the effort.

Apple won't mass produce cars, just like they don't mass produce phones. They'll use another company to mass manufacture to their specs. There's absolutely no way Apple will be licensing a car-controlling piece of software to any car company. They'll use it for their own vehicles.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

If they license anything, it will be to a car service company like Uber, Lyft and the chinese company they invested in to provide a total user experience.

Carplay is mostly a way to interface to their existing system, so it is in no way comparable.
    tmay
  • Reply 29 of 49
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,524member
    Man -- talk about a bad signal about the state of software development inside Tesla!

Maybe he should go work at GM and act as a liaison to Apple...
  • Reply 30 of 49
    blastdoor said:
    Man -- talk about a bad signal about the state of software development inside Tesla!

Lattner makes it sound like he left, Tesla makes it sound like he was fired.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    smaffei said:

Time will tell.
    This a common practice.  The employee often comes back with some useful experience. 
  • Reply 32 of 49

Yes because Apple is "expert" on automotive industry. Well it takes years and learning from automotive companies. That ain't your toy GPS or Internet pulled data. It is complex multidimentional robotic system of inputs and outputs. Scientific model is good... for laboratory. It becomes no good when causes first accident or car failure soon.
    Well, Apple has hired lots of automotive experts from Mercedes, BMW, QNX, Tesla etc...
    Apple has some of the best software engineers in the world and most importantly, Apple has adult supervision over it's projects and they  know how to go to market with new products.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160602/OEM02/160609953/apple-hires-architect-of-bmw-and-mercedes-satellite-navigation-systems
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a27277/apples-newly-hired-secret-agent-is-a-former-bmw-engineer/
    https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/28/apple-hires-founder-of-qnx-software-systems-for-automotive-project/
    https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/25/apple-blackberry-qnx-rd-office-canada-car-operating-system/
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 49
    ciacia Posts: 267member
    Everyone here is jumping to conclusions.    Maybe perhaps Chris's personality and work style just didn't mesh with the culture at Tesla?  It might have had nothing to do with his talents or Tesla's underlaying tech.  Sometimes people just don't like their workplace, and sometimes a workplace doesn't feel a new hire fits in.  It might have been mutual.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,911member
    smaffei said:

Time will tell.
    Interesting how someone can very quickly screw up their own career...maybe some day they'll realize that while they may not like exactly how things work at Apple, the grass isn't always greener on the other side and things seem to be mostly worse on the other side. They leave Apple with big plans and come out with their tail between their legs in failure. I don't expect everyone to be lifers at a company, but you have to make absolutely sure you're going to be better off, and not necessarily financially better off. If you're already making millions of dollars (or even hundreds of thousands), why do you need to go after more money? It gets to a point to where you have more money than you need so why do you take a job that pays more? I'm not saying thats exactly what he did, but I imagine some do this. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 35 of 49
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member

Is Lattner's expertise in AI or machine learning? Tesla released a statement saying Lattner wasn't the right fit which says to me his skills didn't translate that well to autonomous/self-driving car systems.
    I know nothing specific and I know nothing about Lattner's skill set, but my guess would be that it had nothing to do with his specific technical skills and far more to do with differences in corporate culture or the relationship with people he was reporting to.   "Grass looks greener..." and all that.   Sometimes it's a matter of walking into a new situation that you discover is complete chaos and you don't have the power to change it and it becomes mind-blowingly unacceptable.    I once took on a consulting gig that I didn't want to quit, because I didn't want to give up and I wanted other work from the company that provided the gig, but I hated it so much, I constantly thought about ways to "fake my death" and I was obsessed with drawing calendars that indicated how many days left I had on that project.     And on paper, I wasn't doing anything different than I had successfully done many times before.   Sometimes, just one or two obnoxious people you have to deal with can ruin any chance at job satisfaction.   
  • Reply 36 of 49
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,500member
    I have a feeling that Microsoft will grab him since they're also adopting Swift
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Maybe Samsung.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Maybe Samsung.
    IBM?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 39 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    blastdoor said:

Lattner makes it sound like he left, Tesla makes it sound like he was fired.
    Same thing at that level.   

Anyways this just confirms in my mind that Tesla is one screwed up company.    The high turn over rate we see at this company is a negative indicator on management quality and frankly software quality. 
  • Reply 40 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

macxpress said:
    smaffei said:

Time will tell.
    Interesting how someone can very quickly screw up their own career...maybe some day they'll realize that while they may not like exactly how things work at Apple, the grass isn't always greener on the other side and things seem to be mostly worse on the other side. They leave Apple with big plans and come out with their tail between their legs in failure. I don't expect everyone to be lifers at a company, but you have to make absolutely sure you're going to be better off, and not necessarily financially better off. If you're already making millions of dollars (or even hundreds of thousands), why do you need to go after more money? It gets to a point to where you have more money than you need so why do you take a job that pays more? I'm not saying thats exactly what he did, but I imagine some do this. 
    Actually many people leave for new challenges.     By the way taking on new challenges is not screwwing up you career.   You get no where in this world playing safe.