New job openings hint at Apple Park Visitor Center getting ready for the public

Posted:
in General Discussion
A pair of job listings posted on Apple's website this week suggest that Apple Park may finally be nearing a long-awaited public opening.

The company is now hiring for a supervisor and manager at the "Visitor Center Caffe," referring to a building located separately from the main campus, at 10700 North Tantau Avenue. Unlike Caffe Macs elsewhere in Cupertino, the Visitor Center restaurant will take customers beyond Apple staff.

When the Visitor Center is ready, it will also include a new Apple store, spanning over 10,000 square feet.

The grand opening of Apple Park has been years in the making. It was originally scheduled for 2015, but delays meant construction didn't start until 2014. Target dates were then pushed further and further out, until this February, when Apple revealed the project's name and said the first workers would move in come April.

As of the beginning of June, construction and landscaping were still unfinished in many parts of the campus. It's unclear how many people have moved in, though the transition is expected to take a few more months. Eventually executives including CEO Tim Cook will take up permanent residence.

The centerpiece of Apple Park is the "spaceship," a giant ring-shaped structure with curved glass windows and rooftop solar panels. The area inside the ring will be filled with trees and pathways. Elsewhere on campus, crews are preparing the Steve Jobs Theater, which will seat some 1,000 people underground.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    "Eventually executives including CEO Tim Cook will take up permanent residence."

Does that phrasing make anyone else think of Lenin's Tomb?
    Rayz2016StrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I suppose Apple can eventually set up some sort of VR entertainment center where you can go on guided tours of the entire Apple Park complex without leaving your seat. Tickets will only cost $50 a pop.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    "Eventually executives including CEO Tim Cook will take up permanent residence."

I thought permanent residency had to do with living indefinitely in a country of which you are not a citizen. I didn't think it had anything to do with where an office is located in a company.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I hope one day that the company Apple Store would offer up merchandise to online sales. Even if it's not the full selection, it'd be nice to be able to order shirts or mugs. Not everyone can make to the mothership. 
  • Reply 5 of 7

I thought permanent residency had to do with living indefinitely in a country of which you are not a citizen. I didn't think it had anything to do with where an office is located in a company.
    That too.  Apparently Tim got his Apple Park green card.
  • Reply 6 of 7

I hope one day that the company Apple Store would offer up merchandise to online sales. Even if it's not the full selection, it'd be nice to be able to order shirts or mugs. Not everyone can make to the mothership. 
    That's a good point.  In fact, every Apple Store could have a small rotating selection of Apple swag.  Perhaps they aren't interested in using their expensive space on small-ticket items.  But why that stuff isn't available from Apple.com is a bit of a mystery.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    The "Company Store" has left a lot to be desired in the past year or two. I hope they up their game with the new store and bring back some of the better quality items they have had in the past. It almost seems as if they have had a stockpile of crap items they didn't sell in the past and have been pushing that to clear out inventory. Here's hoping their purchasing agent has been doing some serious work for the new store!
    edited June 2017