Actual testing on AMD Vega GPU destined for iMac Pro shows significant speed gains over Nv...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    This is all fine and dandy - but as long as Apple forces it's pro users to use AMD they are still totally missing the mark. Yes it's great that this card out performs that Titan in regular Open GL tasks. But After Effects plugins, Vray RT, Substance Painter, Octane, Redshift, and many many other apps - that 3D artist like myself use daily only work on CUDA cards, so this here is completely irrelevant. So until apple makes it so users can choose either AMD or Nvidia they haven't made a true Mac Pro - and its depressing :-(
    Sisu_Snacks
  • Reply 22 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    dennis.p said:
    This is all fine and dandy - but as long as Apple forces it's pro users to use AMD they are still totally missing the mark. Yes it's great that this card out performs that Titan in regular Open GL tasks. But After Effects plugins, Vray RT, Substance Painter, Octane, Redshift, and many many other apps - that 3D artist like myself use daily only work on CUDA cards, so this here is completely irrelevant. So until apple makes it so users can choose either AMD or Nvidia they haven't made a true Mac Pro - and its depressing :-(
    Wrong. Just because it isn’t what you want doesn’t make it not a “true” pro. not everyone shares the same use cases. yours is no more true than mine. 
    macxpress
  • Reply 23 of 23
    dennis.p said:
    Wrong. Just because it isn’t what you want doesn’t make it not a “true” pro. not everyone shares the same use cases. yours is no more true than mine. 
    I would have to respectfully disagree StrangeDays.  Most professional tool-sets are modular, they can be changed to suit the specific needs of the professional at that time and usually have the ability to adapt to future needs.  Some examples;

• Formula 1 cars have their suspension, tires, spoilers, etc changed for every race depending on conditions.  Imagine how many accidents there would be if they only day dry weather tires but were driving on a wet day?
    • The military uses hardpoints on aircraft, weapons with different payloads, the U.S. Army just selected a new service pistol this year under the MODULAR Handgun System program.  Imagine the devastation if a bomber could only drop cluster bombs when the target was only a single, small structure?
    • How about a chef's knife set that only has a cleaver?
    • Try to tell a housing contractor they can only use a phillips head in their drill/driver (hell, the fact they are called drill/drivers makes the point).
    Modular systems are a trademark of many professions, the computer based creative professional fields included (the target customers for the iMac Pro).  At one point there was no GPU acceleration in Premiere Pro, then everything changed in 2008 with CS4.  The Mac Pro at the time had the options to use Apple supplied ATI Radeon, Nvidia GeForce or Quadro cards and could even have them installed after the initial purchase.  You used to be able to have multiple drives in your Mac Pro, allowing for separate drives containing the OS, project files, caches, and storage (this improves performance).  What if your application benefits more from 4 fast cores instead of the now minimum 8 of the iMac Pro (Photoshop for example)?

Beginning with the 2013 Mac Pro redesign, Apple seems to have forgotten something about computer based creative professionals, something which you stated perfectly StrangeDays,"not everyone shares the same use cases."  Professional tool-sets plan for this, they adapt to the professional's needs, not the other way around.