Honda adds Apple CarPlay to some 2018 Fit configurations

Posted:
in iPhone
Honda on Wednesday filled in an important gap in its support for Apple CarPlay, finally announcing compatibility for the Fit hatchback line via 2018 models, which launch in July.

Both CarPlay and Android Auto will be availble on Sport, EX, and EX-L trims of the car, Honda said. On all three, drivers will connect through a 7-inch touchscreen.

The company has yet to reveal pricing, but EX versions of the 2017 Fit start at $18,000, nearly $2,000 more than the base LX configuration. All 2018 trims will also gain access to Honda's Sensing driver assist technologies, such as collision and lane departure features -- they will only come standard on EX and EX-L packages, however.

The Fit is an important addition as one of Honda's most affordable products. A common complaint with CarPlay is that the technology is often reserved for mid- to high-end vehicles, and even then it may not always be a standard technology.

There are a growing number of exceptions though, from automakers such as Ford, Kia, and Chevrolet. Honda itself offers CarPlay on the Accord and Civic, two of the most popular cars in the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tzm41tzm41 Posts: 95member
    Finally... The holdout couldn't last forever. Now looking for Walmart and the like to accept Apple Pay.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 7
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    tzm41 said:
    Finally... The holdout couldn't last forever. Now looking for Walmart and the like to accept Apple Pay.
    What? This article is about Apple CarPlay, not Apple Pay.

As far as the Honda Fit is concerned, I find it bizarre that a vehicle with semi-autonomous driving features (Honda Sensing) and Apple CarPlay still uses manual, cable-operated HVAC controls. Every other model moved to servo-operated mode, blend, and recirculation doors years ago - even on models without automatic climate control. Even my 1984 Pontiac Fiero had servo-operated HVAC components!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    zroger73 said:
    tzm41 said:

As far as the Honda Fit is concerned, I find it bizarre that a vehicle with semi-autonomous driving features (Honda Sensing) and Apple CarPlay still uses manual, cable-operated HVAC controls. Every other model moved to servo-operated mode, blend, and recirculation doors years ago - even on models without automatic climate control. Even my 1984 Pontiac Fiero had servo-operated HVAC components!
    I would pay more for a car with no electronics at all. Safer from EMP attacks. I think the last car without electronics was around 1980 from Hyundai. Maybe I could find a good used one.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    zroger73 said:
    tzm41 said:

I would pay more for a car with no electronics at all. Safer from EMP attacks. I think the last car without electronics was around 1980 from Hyundai. Maybe I could find a good used one.
    I don't know what good that would do you if you're stuck on a highway full of dead cars after an EMP attack. It's the first thing the aliens do when they arrive.
    zroger73StrangeDayspscooter63GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    zroger73 said:
    tzm41 said:

You forgot the /s at the end...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    macxpress said:
    zroger73 said:
    tzm41 said:

You forgot the /s at the end...
    Yes I forgot the /s. /s
  • Reply 7 of 7
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    Just purchased a 2018 Honda Fit Sport.

The Sport model (new for 2018 in US market) has CarPlay as standard!

This car really stands out in this regard as an affordable small car with CarPlay. The Toyota Yaris doesn’t offer CarPlay and CarPlay on the Ford Fiesta requires a $1000 upgrade on the cheaper trim levels.

The Fit is known as the Jazz in the UK. Here in the US the standard engine is more powerful with 130hp. It’s not a sports car by modern standards but it’s about as quick as the 1980’s era hot hatches and the 6 speed manual gearbox is very satisfying.

Aplle CarPlay is a delight!