Apple Maps vans adds Spain, three U.S. states to list of survey locations

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    I guess I can’t convince you that there is value to being able to view and manipulate things that don’t exist.  I have to wonder if Apple Park would have ever been built if people couldn’t visualize something that didn’t exist (thru artist renderings and models).
    Don't be obtuse.

Mmm, correct me if I’m wrong, but it occurs to me that you’ve never experienced AR.  The actual experince is quite different than watching videos of AR.

Because I explained how your examples do not relate to anything reasonable and asked very pointed questions: "To what end?" and "How does this benefit the user?"

Keep in mind that one of your paragraphs was, "With AR -- it's about being there without going there!," despite every video you showed was an augmentation of reality with virtual elements, which is the primary purpose of the technology. If you want to "be there without going there" there are billions, if not trillions, of examples with images and videos that have been taken for generations.

AR is something very different. AR is a live direct or indirect view of a physical, real-world environment whose elements are augmented by computer-generated sensory input such as sound, video, graphics or GPS data. It is related to a more general concept called computer-mediated reality, in which a view of reality is modified (possibly even diminished rather than augmented) by a computer. Augmented reality enhances one’s current perception of reality, whereas in contrast, virtual reality replaces the real world with a simulated one Augmentation techniques are typically performed in real time and in semantic context with environmental elements, such as overlaying supplemental information like scores over a live video feed of a sporting event."

If you want an example of how AR could benefit a typical user and want that applied to Apple Park, imagine getting coordinates for job interview, a meeting, or pretty much anything else in any structure where you don't have a good idea of the layout. Unlike your driving or public transportation directions to get you to the location on a more macro-scale, you can have email from Apple, in this example, that asks you to be in a particular room at a particular time. That location data can contain both the walking directions, which will lead you through the most direct paths outdoors and indoors, perhaps even around paths that are closed off that you wouldn't know about otherwise, to your destination. This wouldn't likely be the primary method for travel as holding your iPhone or iPad in front of your face as you walk is beyond stupid, but it could offer a visual guide you can glance at, in addition to text and audible directions. I'd hope that by the time we have personalized directions that include augmentation, we'd also have that audible directions as not everyone can see, the tech is already there, and audible directions are likely the most often used so you can have better situational awareness with your eyes, as we do with driving.

My example becomes even more relevant if vision-based wearables can become a feasible accessory.

Nothing of what I said involves a reduction that "Apple will provide an AR tour of the new campus" and I see nothing that would lead me to think that Apple will augment their campus to showcase it, which would take away from the campus itself.

• Reply 22 of 24
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Soli said:
    I guess I can’t convince you that there is value to being able to view and manipulate things that don’t exist.  I have to wonder if Apple Park would have ever been built if people couldn’t visualize something that didn’t exist (thru artist renderings and models).
    Don't be obtuse.

Mmm, correct me if I’m wrong, but it occurs to me that you’ve never experienced AR.  The actual experince is quite different than watching videos of AR.

Because I explained how your examples do not relate to anything reasonable and asked very pointed questions: "To what end?" and "How does this benefit the user?"

Keep in mind that one of your paragraphs was, "With AR -- it's about being there without going there!," despite every video you showed was an augmentation of reality with virtual elements, which is the primary purpose of the technology. If you want to "be there without going there" there are billions, if not trillions, of examples with images and videos that have been taken for generations.

AR is something very different. AR is a live direct or indirect view of a physical, real-world environment whose elements are augmented by computer-generated sensory input such as sound, video, graphics or GPS data. It is related to a more general concept called computer-mediated reality, in which a view of reality is modified (possibly even diminished rather than augmented) by a computer. Augmented reality enhances one’s current perception of reality, whereas in contrast, virtual reality replaces the real world with a simulated one Augmentation techniques are typically performed in real time and in semantic context with environmental elements, such as overlaying supplemental information like scores over a live video feed of a sporting event."

If you want an example of how AR could benefit a typical user and want that applied to Apple Park, imagine getting coordinates for job interview, a meeting, or pretty much anything else in any structure where you don't have a good idea of the layout. Unlike your driving or public transportation directions to get you to the location on a more macro-scale, you can have email from Apple, in this example, that asks you to be in a particular room at a particular time. That location data can contain both the walking directions, which will lead you through the most direct paths outdoors and indoors, perhaps even around paths that are closed off that you wouldn't know about otherwise, to your destination. This wouldn't likely be the primary method for travel as holding your iPhone or iPad in front of your face as you walk is beyond stupid, but it could offer a visual guide you can glance at, in addition to text and audible directions. I'd hope that by the time we have personalized directions that include augmentation, we'd also have that audible directions as not everyone can see, the tech is already there, and audible directions are likely the most often used so you can have better situational awareness with your eyes, as we do with driving.

My example becomes even more relevant if vision-based wearables can become a feasible accessory.

Nothing of what I said involves a reduction that "Apple will provide an AR tour of the new campus" and I see nothing that would lead me to think that Apple will augment their campus to showcase it, which would take away from the campus itself.

So, you have not experienced AR, using ARKit on an iDevice!

I agree with your description of AR.

I also agree with your example of one way a user could benefit from AR at Apple Park.

But, yours is not the only example.  

You asked a very general question: To what end? I tried to answer with a more graphic example -- essentially the ability for a user to take a un-guided tour of all the accessible areas -- at any time of day, at any hour, from any place on earth.

You went off  that that meant that I wanted to see virtual desks, and such, in real empty rooms -- rather than wait for a real video of a guided tour showing real desks.

As you pointed out in your example, there is advantage to getting the lay of the landscape when appearing for a job interview.

Why wouldn't it be just as useful to do that before appearing for the job interview?  

If you could, it might be of value to take a virtual tour of various cities/real estate/rentals near Apple Park.

One of the videos I posted show someone capturing  3D images of rooms in a house.  Wouldn't it be of value for me to take a virtual tour of houses on the market to narrow my choices?

Then add virtual images of our furniture in the rooms of the houses selected.

For me, the answer is decidedly YES to all of the above.  I moved 3 times when with IBM.  I had limited time to find a house in the new location -- and my wife and daughter were in the old location.  What I described would be invaluable.

Finally, there is the temporal aspect to AR.   It allows you to visualize before and after -- how it was -- how it is now -- how it will be if/when we make these changes.

edited July 2017
  • Reply 23 of 24
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    Soli said:
    Don't be obtuse.

So, you have not experienced AR, using ARKit on an iDevice!

I agree with your description of AR.

I also agree with your example of one way a user could benefit from AR at Apple Park.

But, yours is not the only example.  

You asked a very general question: To what end? I tried to answer with a more graphic example -- essentially the ability for a user to take a un-guided tour of all the accessible areas -- at any time of day, at any hour, from any place on earth.

You went off  that that meant that I wanted to see virtual desks, and such, in real empty rooms -- rather than wait for a real video of a guided tour showing real desks.

As you pointed out in your example, there is advantage to getting the lay of the landscape when appearing for a job interview.

Why wouldn't it be just as useful to do that before appearing for the job interview?  

If you could, it might be of value to take a virtual tour of various cities/real estate/rentals near Apple Park.

One of the videos I posted show someone capturing  3D images of rooms in a house.  Wouldn't it be of value for me to take a virtual tour of houses on the market to narrow my choices?

Then add virtual images of our furniture in the rooms of the houses selected.

For me, the answer is decidedly YES to all of the above.  I moved 3 times when with IBM.  I had limited time to find a house in the new location -- and my wife and daughter were in the old location.  What I described would be invaluable.

Finally, there is the temporal aspect to AR.   It allows you to visualize before and after -- how it was -- how it is now -- how it will be if/when we make these changes.

1) Who hasn't experience AR at this point?

2) I said my example was the only example? That's being obtuse.

3) Doing a virtual tour of a property near Apple Park, is not AR and is not Apple Park.

4) Virtual tours already exist. Adding virtual furniture is different, but I rhetorically (because I'm tired of asking this) ask why Apple would give you an indoor presentation of Apple Park to show you virtual furniture?

5) I'm pretty sure we'll see Apple detail Apple Park's construction in some fashion and I wouldn't be surprised if we see "temporal aspect" that shows before and after images and videos, but I don't think we'll gong to see cartoon anything overlaid with all the hard work they put into building this new campus to showcase the new campus.

6) I found an image of the break room at Apple Park¡

edited July 2017
  • Reply 24 of 24
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    You’ve convinced me..

I’m obtuse – and you are rude!

tallest skilavon b7