Rumor: Apple's iPhone wireless charging accessory might not ship with 'iPhone 8,' 'iPhone ...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    indieshackindieshack Posts: 328member
    subbies said:
    A phone that can charge wirelessly and the charger won't be in the box? What a load of crap. If it doesn't come with the phen then you can bet your sweet ass I won't be purchasing it for the $100 they will want for it. 
    We're talking about Apple here, the folks who could have brought wireless charging to the iPhone years ago but were making way too much money from lightning cable sales and licensing to want to do that. And yes, my guess would be nothing less than $100 plus for an Apple-branded wireless charger, and of course they will ensure that the wireless charging is incompatible with any other wireless charger and back that up with hardware checks.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    avon b7 said:
    jcs2305 said:
    I do agree with your comments regarding pencil and the larger for the iPad Pro. It's just a strange way to cheap out.. its the most premium tablet and premium accessories should ship with it. Period. You shouldn't have to want for anything at these price points. 
    So by your logic, BMW shouldn’t charge extra for the premium sound system, because hey, it’s already an expensive BMW. Yet funnily it doesn’t work that way...

It’s as if you’re overlooking all the things you’re already getting for that premium price – the build quality, the longest supported mobile OS, and the additional pro-level features. 
    It's reasonable to want the 29W charger as part of 'what you get' out of the box.

I think it's a very valid point considering the 'Pro' nature and price of the device.

As things stand, it reeks of a cheap move to push revenues up a little more. I wonder what the real price difference is for Apple between the standard charger and the 29W charger.

I must admit that I haven't been following the pro models very closely so I don't know 100% if the OP is correct in his claims but after some quick searching, it seems to be a legitimate complaint and one that I (no doubt you will add 'unsurprisingly') agree with.
    You're confused, the post I quoted was about how he felt the Pencil should be free because iPad Pro costs more than the Air 2.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    anome said:
    avon b7 said:
    jcs2305 said:
    I do agree with your comments regarding pencil and the larger for the iPad Pro. It's just a strange way to cheap out.. its the most premium tablet and premium accessories should ship with it. Period. You shouldn't have to want for anything at these price points. 

So by your logic, BMW shouldn’t charge extra for the premium sound system, because hey, it’s already an expensive BMW. Yet funnily it doesn’t work that way...

It’s as if you’re overlooking all the things you’re already getting for that premium price – the build quality, the longest supported mobile OS, and the additional pro-level features. 
    It's reasonable to want the 29W charger as part of 'what you get' out of the box.

I think it's a very valid point considering the 'Pro' nature and price of the device.

As things stand, it reeks of a cheap move to push revenues up a little more. I wonder what the real price difference is for Apple between the standard charger and the 29W charger.

I must admit that I haven't been following the pro models very closely so I don't know 100% if the OP is correct in his claims but after some quick searching, it seems to be a legitimate complaint and one that I (no doubt you will add 'unsurprisingly') agree with.

A more likely scenario than "Apple just want people to pay over more money" is that, in order to keep the sticker price lower, they ship with a minimal working set that the vast majority of purchasers will never upgrade. They'll get the better screen, the faster processor, the side-by-side multitasking, and they'll be happy. If you want to use a keyboard, you can choose to buy one from Apple, or from Logitech or whoever. If you want a Pencil, you can buy it.

Bingo, nailed it. 
    anome
  • Reply 24 of 24
    subbies said:
    A phone that can charge wirelessly and the charger won't be in the box? What a load of crap. If it doesn't come with the phen then you can bet your sweet ass I won't be purchasing it for the $100 they will want for it. 
    We're talking about Apple here, the folks who could have brought wireless charging to the iPhone years ago but were making way too much money from lightning cable sales and licensing to want to do that. And yes, my guess would be nothing less than $100 plus for an Apple-branded wireless charger, and of course they will ensure that the wireless charging is incompatible with any other wireless charger and back that up with hardware checks.
    Congratulations on the Pure Nonsense Post of the Day! Your conspiracy claim doesn't make sense on multiple levels. First, because the iphones have already been super space constrained, and it takes time to make the other components smaller in order to create space. Second, because the sort of inductive charging-mat charging you're discussing overed little value to customers years ago. And third, because people buy non-Apple cables and even non-licensed cables all the time -- the revenue you're claiming they conspired to make is a drop in the bucket. In fact an iphone *with* inductive charging would likely earn more revenue than the USB cables do. 

Lastly, I don't know how or why you'd expect Apple's charging to work with other charging mats. You're just not making any sense whatsoever.
    anome