Microsoft ends support for its ill-fated iPhone competitor, Windows Phone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    entropys said:
    My daughter is still using a Nokia with windows 8.1. The last upgrade killed battery life. I put a new higher capacity battery in and it still doesn't last a day. Not sure if it will run win10, but I am not game to try. Will it work through the windows sync app  on a Mac?
    Dude, get her an iPhone, and a new iPad! There done...just about all the 'tech' she needs! :)
    calipscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 43
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    A good plan Christopher, she did have my hand  me down iPhone 5, but it got drowned (long boring story) and she will get her mother's hand me down iPhone 6 Plus at Christmas. Until then...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 43
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Shame. At least Windows tried to be different. Android is a shameless ripoff. 
    pscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    cali said:
    I know! Microsoft even consulted with Apple during its development to make sure they didn’t infringe any patents. I really respected that (part of the company).
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 25 of 43
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 326member
    I have been using one of the flagships Nokia Lumia phones for more than two years - as an experiment - before reverting back to the iPhone. First with OS 8.1, than 10. And read Windows Central every day, a sort of Apple Insider. Although all the comments expressed hope, frustration was getting stronger with every new version of 10. Microsoft just couldn't get it to work - on their phones - without an enormous amount of bugs. Every iteration of the OS removed some bugs but usually brought a shit load of new ones. For two years I really believed Microsoft would finally fix it until one day I decided it was enough. I liked the phone with its OLED screen and beautiful camera and - when it worked - it's nice looking interface. I really don't get Microsoft on this. 
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 26 of 43
    cali said:
    I know! Microsoft even consulted with Apple during its development to make sure they didn’t infringe any patents. I really respected that (part of the company).
    Was this part of some cross-licencing deal? I vaguely remember reading something like that a while back.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Was this part of some cross-licencing deal? I vaguely remember reading something like that a while back.
    Yep, it's why the Microsoft Surface got the iPad Pro's attachable keyboard before the iPad did. Apple was using Microsoft as a test run.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 43
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 29 of 43
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,295member
    On the one hand, this is too bad for Windows users and competition. 

On the other hand, I have recently been forced to experience Windows again and it has brought back to mind the quote from SJ that Microsoft simply has no taste. So true. They really do not sweat the small stuff -- lots of clunkiness and inelegance wrapped in a veneer of prettiness. 
    SpamSandwichnetmage
  • Reply 30 of 43
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    JanNL said:
    Pity can't place a photo of a coffin in this post... (What a amateuristic and childish marketing was that of Microsoft).
    Didn't Jobs put a coffin on stage when he "buried" Mac OS 9?
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Nokia was the apparent winner in that sale. 
  • Reply 32 of 43
    here

• Reply 33 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    williamh said:
    Dang, now what is that person using Windows Phone 8.1 going to do?
    Steve Ballmer will be fine.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    blastdoor said:

On the other hand, I have recently been forced to experience Windows again and it has brought back to mind the quote from SJ that Microsoft simply has no taste. So true. They really do not sweat the small stuff -- lots of clunkiness and inelegance wrapped in a veneer of prettiness. 
    And then out of nowhere they offer something like this, showing they aren't quite out of the mobile loop. What an amazingly helpful app for the visually challenged!:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/seeing-ai-talking-camera-for-the-blind/id999062298

edited July 2017 sphericrogifan_new
  • Reply 35 of 43
    entropys said:
    A good plan Christopher, she did have my hand  me down iPhone 5, but it got drowned (long boring story) and she will get her mother's hand me down iPhone 6 Plus at Christmas. Until then...
    Nice. :)
  • Reply 36 of 43
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,295member
    gatorguy said:
    blastdoor said:

And then out of nowhere they offer something like this, showing they aren't quite out of the mobile loop. What an amazingly helpful app for the visually challenged!:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/seeing-ai-talking-camera-for-the-blind/id999062298

Neat research demo, but let's see what happens when they really try to make it a product. 

Compare the built-in magnifier in Windows 10 to the built-in zoom feature in OS X. I find the OS X magnification functionality to be much better implemented. Zooming in and out in OS X is utterly seamless. Windows 10 is quite clunky by comparison. 
  • Reply 37 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    blastdoor said:
    gatorguy said:
    blastdoor said:

Neat research demo, but let's see what happens when they really try to make it a product. 

Compare the built-in magnifier in Windows 10 to the built-in zoom feature in OS X. I find the OS X magnification functionality to be much better implemented. Zooming in and out in OS X is utterly seamless. Windows 10 is quite clunky by comparison. 
    It IS a real product. See the iTunes link I gave you so you can try it for yourself.
    Repeated here for those that miss it.

edited July 2017
  • Reply 38 of 43
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    spice-boy said:
    JanNL said:
    Pity can't place a photo of a coffin in this post... (What a amateuristic and childish marketing was that of Microsoft).
    Didn't Jobs put a coffin on stage when he "buried" Mac OS 9?
    That was a company replacing its own product at a developer conference. It was a signal, not gloating.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 43
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    It's hard to believe. The news media has hardly said anything about the demise of the Windows Phone platform.
    Yeah, Windows Phone was such an iPhone "killer", that when the former was killed off by MS, no one even noticed.
    :D
  • Reply 40 of 43
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    gatorguy said:
    blastdoor said:
    gatorguy said:
    blastdoor said:

It IS a real product. See the iTunes link I gave you so you can try it for yourself.
    Repeated here for those that miss it.

Looks really cool. But it comes from one of Apple’s competitors so don’t expect it to get any love here. ;)