Apple rival Huawei debuts KFC-branded Android phone in China

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    All jokes and obvious comments about how weird it is that a fast-food place has designed a smartphone, that's a good looking phone. If this isn't some publicity stunt, but a real product, then they've outdone pretty much every Android-based vendor on aesthetics.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    In a perfect world every product would benefit noble causes, at least product RED brings funds and awareness to a disease that is destroying lives around the world.  Every disease is heartbreaking, I have lost loved people to cancer, AIDS, heroine addiction, heart disease and Alzheimer's.  One day we will win this battle and new ones will replace the old.

This just shows how different companies are, some pursue noble causes while some celebrate fried chicken.  Oh wait, that is a noble cause, I'm sure they use only healthy air friers, not any cheap vegetable oils...

I guess I could get a clear case with LEDs inside to highlight my envyable KFC edition phone.  Wouldn't want people to think I bought a regular Huawei...

iPhone has an Apple on the back, it's also food, and the origin of sin.  God o love it...

I can keep going but I will exercise restraint, any exercise should be pursued in relation to KFC...

>:) 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 47
    tomasulutomasulu Posts: 56member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple’s main competition ripoff artist in China -- Huawei -- has taken the unusual step of releasing a Kentucky Fried Chicken edition of the Enjoy 7 Plus to mark the 30th anniversary of the restaurant chain arriving in the country.

There, I fixed it for you. You’re welcome.

The ‘Enjoy 7’? Really? All your phones are belong to us.

People seem to think everything from China is a ripoff. It's a misplaced sense of cultural superiority. This is just a phone with the KFC red branding. Lots of phones with that Long oval bump now and appeared on other phones before iphone 7. 

• Reply 24 of 47
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    wizard69 said:
    kevin kee said:
    Hm, would there be McD phones too? All these commercial diluted phones in red colour just tainted Red products that is genuinely to support HIV/AIDS cure.
    Product RED is a slap in the face to any person that has died or fell ill from other more common and less controllable diseases.   Frankly I know more people that have died from Breast cancer than AIDS.    I just don't see our priorities being set right with Product RED.    That doesn't mean we ignore disease just that money should go to where the impact will be the greatest.
    So we should be giving every penny to fight heart disease and no money to anything else. Got it.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Soli said:
    All jokes and obvious comments about how weird it is that a fast-food place has designed a smartphone, that's a good looking phone. If this isn't some publicity stunt, but a real product, then they've outdone pretty much every Android-based vendor on aesthetics.

That's mainly because it looks like the Product RED iPhone 7 Plus.
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 47
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Taco Bell phone please. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 47
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    The best part is the introduction video:
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 28 of 47
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    kevin kee said:
    Hm, would there be McD phones too? All these commercial diluted phones in red colour just tainted Red products that is genuinely to support HIV/AIDS cure.
    I am sure that red being part of the KFC branding had something to do with the choice. If this were a Pepsi branded phone I'm sure it wouldn't be red.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    wizard69 said:
    kevin kee said:
    Product RED is a slap in the face to any person that has died or fell ill from other more common and less controllable diseases.   Frankly I know more people that have died from Breast cancer than AIDS.    I just don't see our priorities being set right with Product RED.    That doesn't mean we ignore disease just that money should go to where the impact will be the greatest.
    If that were true, then the first thing we should do is ban places like KFC.   It promotes obesity which in turn may be a primary cause of breast cancer.  It also promotes diabetes:   Diabetes in China was almost unknown.   Now, after the proliferation of KFC and McD's it has become as much an epidemic there as it is here....
  • Reply 30 of 47
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    It's incredible how dumb folks can be....and what they fall for....
    Do you mean the millions of Americans that buy those $5 buckets from KFC each day? 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 31 of 47
    There's a "finger lickin' good" joke in there somewhere.
    LordeHawk
  • Reply 32 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    kevin kee said:
    If you check the corporate logo colors for KFC what do you see? 

The KFC Logo is predominantly red and white

KFC Red
    Hex: #a3080c
    RGB: 163, 8, 12

And that sir is why the phone is red. Not that Huawei (and Oppo and Meizu and...) wasn't already selling red smartphones in China well before Apple offered one there. Which brings up one last point pertinent to your comment. 

Apple themselves studiously avoids any association of their red iPhone version and AIDS/HIV in their branding of it for China. There is no such thing as "(PRODUCT) Red" to support a cure for HIV/AIDS there as the government would frown heavily on it. That's why the red iPhone in China is branded differently than the one sold in Taiwan and other Asian markets (and the US etc.) 

edited July 2017 retrogusto
  • Reply 33 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    levi said:
    Just returned from there. KFC is one of the most popular chains. Still...
    Yep. Every time I went there on business, nearly every time companies/factories would offer either KFC or McDonald's for lunch to guests.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Soli said:
    It's finger-lickin' good looking.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    wizard69 said:
    kevin kee said:
    There are also charities for many other diseases, including breast cancer, and each charity does its best to creatively find ways to raise funds. Try not to take it personally if different people fight for different causes in different ways. It's probably better that not every cause tries to raise money with a walk or a march. In the end, you as a donor have the final say as to which charities most need your help. 

I do do know what you mean, though, about disparities in the importance of charities--there are often kids on my street asking for money for their basketball team, which seems a little ridiculous when you think about all of the kids dying of hunger and disease around the world. And it is important and admirable to give some thought to these priorities rather than just giving money to whoever happens to be in your face at the time. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 36 of 47
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    wizard69 said:
    kevin kee said:
    I take it you have a spreadsheet of how much money goes to curing each disease compared to the prevalence of each, and that it shows HIV/AIDS is disproportionately funded. If not, your comment has a whiff of homophobia. This is in the same genre as the "all lives matter" retort. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 37 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    wizard69 said:
    kevin kee said:
    I take it you have a spreadsheet of how much money goes to curing each disease compared to the prevalence of each, and that it shows HIV/AIDS is disproportionately funded. If not, your comment has a whiff of homophobia. This is in the same genre as the "all lives matter" retort. 
    In a 2015 study by the National Institute of Health it was found public funding on "finding the cure" amounted to $2,583 each year per person with HIV/AIDS (roughly 1.2 million people infected), $418 each year per person with cancer (13.4M dealing with the disease or its aftereffects, me included), and just $38 each year per person with diabetes even tho 20 times as many suffer with it than HIV/AIDS. Yeah, looks to me like things are a bit out of whack too. The Squeaky Wheels Theory is in full effect. 

edited July 2017 almondrocaavon b7
  • Reply 38 of 47
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    wizard69 said:
    kevin kee said:
    Breast cancer already has a massive, massive public awareness campaign. To suggest an AIDS one shouldn't exist because Other Diseases Exist is just stupid. More stupid is your notion that working on one thing is a "slap in the face" to people of another thing. 

Considering your post history regarding trans and gays, I suspect your own agenda is getting in the way of rational thought.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 39 of 47
    tomasulu said:
    lkrupp said:
    Apple’s main competition ripoff artist in China -- Huawei -- has taken the unusual step of releasing a Kentucky Fried Chicken edition of the Enjoy 7 Plus to mark the 30th anniversary of the restaurant chain arriving in the country.

There, I fixed it for you. You’re welcome.

The ‘Enjoy 7’? Really? All your phones are belong to us.
    People seem to think everything from China is a ripoff. It's a misplaced sense of cultural superiority. This is just a phone with the KFC red branding. Lots of phones with that Long oval bump now and appeared on other phones before iphone 7. 
    They think that because there's so much copying in China. Like this product and brand, which is a ripoff.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    spice-boy said:
    It's incredible how dumb folks can be....and what they fall for....
    Do you mean the millions of Americans that buy those $5 buckets from KFC each day? 
    I dont know anyone that buys buckets each day, but there are lots of people who buy them once in a while. Fried chicken is fine in moderation.