Apple's 'iPhone 8' to feature rear-facing 3D laser for AR and faster autofocus, report say...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Visualize, if you will, (pun intended) a service offered by a gym, tanning salon or somesuch where  you enter a small room with tech that creates a complete 3D digital image of your entire body – which Is transferred to your iPhone.

Later, an app analyzes the digital you to add animation metadata.

Now, you have a virtual you object that can be included and animated in any virtual scene – maybe with animatable virtual objects of your friends, pets or others...

The ARKit tech has already been demoed where animated virtual objects can interact with each other!

We’re just at the Genesis phase of this AR/VR world...

I think it was Archimedes (besides inventing the spiral screw) who said: “Give me a [virtual] place to stand..."

edited July 2017
  • Reply 22 of 25
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    Dear AppleInsider, sometimes I do not know what "iphone 8" you're referring to—the model expected in the Fall of 2018 or the model expected this Fall that most certainly will not be called iPhone 8?
    Give it up, the anniversary edition will not be the iPhone 8. 
  • Reply 23 of 25
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,128member
    Finally.

I think we all know what this is really for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_laser

• Reply 24 of 25
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 181member
    surprised that no-one has made a point of facial recognition and problems with Apple Pay Authentication yet.... what are you supposed to do, place the phone near the terminal, then bring it up to see your face to unlock and then put it back down? not the Apple way. Also I think it was Neil or Victor who commented on one of the AI podcasts that touch ID on the back of the phone was a bad idea as your finger would be in the way in between then phone and terminal... Ahhhh, just turn the phone over !!! ??? Mad , I know!! Cant see Apple putting TouchID on Macs just a year ago and then removing it from devices a year later. Their planning is usually 5 years out , minimum.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    seanie248 said:
    surprised that no-one has made a point of facial recognition and problems with Apple Pay Authentication yet.... what are you supposed to do, place the phone near the terminal, then bring it up to see your face to unlock and then put it back down? not the Apple way. Also I think it was Neil or Victor who commented on one of the AI podcasts that touch ID on the back of the phone was a bad idea as your finger would be in the way in between then phone and terminal... Ahhhh, just turn the phone over !!! ??? Mad , I know!! Cant see Apple putting TouchID on Macs just a year ago and then removing it from devices a year later. Their planning is usually 5 years out , minimum.
    Most sane people know that Apple understands how to deal with these kinds of problems.