Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.8.0 update for iPhone brings 3D Touch to brush selection tool

Posted:
in iPhone
Adobe has updated its Lightroom app for iPhone and iPad, with changes to the brush selection tool, in-app camera fixes, and support for the latest digital cameras and lenses.

Beyond stability improvements, the 150MB update to Adobe Photoshop Lightroom now allows users to make precise adjustments with a swipe with the new Brush Selection tool. The changes in the new version allow for selective application of brightness, clarity, exposure -- all with 3D Touch for pressure sensitive input on compatible devices.

Haptic feedback has been added to the in-app camera. Additionally, support for the ACR 9.12 release of cameras and lenses has been added, allowing for specific modifications to imported images related to the type of camera the picture was taken on.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.8.0 is free, and requires iOS 9.3 or later. While the app itself requires iOS 9.3 and above, some features including DNG format and HDR image capture require iOS 10 and a 12MP camera.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Another improvement is the inclusion of the Detail panel which has the same Sharpening & Noise Reduction controls as the Desktop version. 

Of course, since we are still using smart previews photos synced to mobile (with edits synced up to full size RAW files on the desktop) it is rather difficult and perhaps unwise to use the controls at this time. 

I hope that the inclusion of these controls which are well-understood to require full-res previews to use intelligently means Adobe is laying the groundwork to edit in Full-res on mobile. 

The new iPads have much-improved specs. Hopefully the hardware is catching up and allowing the full desktop feature set someday. 
    doozydozenmacky the mackygregoriusm
  • Reply 2 of 8
    One thing that I miss more as the mobile LR app gets better is the lack of Virtual Copies. 

Often i want to try an alternate treatment of a photo without losing my existing edits. LR desktop has always had the capability to make a Virtual Copy so I can try different treatments on the same RAW image.

took a look, and this is still missing from Mobile LR
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    polymnia said:
    One thing that I miss more as the mobile LR app gets better is the lack of Virtual Copies. 

Often i want to try an alternate treatment of a photo without losing my existing edits. LR desktop has always had the capability to make a Virtual Copy so I can try different treatments on the same RAW image.

A virtual copy .... indeed...  And we are back to Aperture (obviously desktop only at the time).  Apple's wonderful professional product, years a head of its time, dropped for absolutely no reason I have yet to fathom.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    MacPro said:
    polymnia said:

A virtual copy .... indeed...  And we are back to Aperture (obviously desktop only at the time).  Apple's wonderful professional product, years a head of its time, dropped for absolutely no reason I have yet to fathom.
    How are we possibly back to Aperture?

i get it. You miss it. 

But I don't cry about how Freehand was cut down in its prime when Illustrator is mentioned. I learned Freehand first. 

Don't even get me going on PageMaker and Quark Xpress. 

Like Oasis says, "Don't look back in anger"
  • Reply 5 of 8
    polymnia said:
    MacPro said:
    polymnia said:

i get it. You miss it. 

But I don't cry about how Freehand was cut down in its prime when Illustrator is mentioned. I learned Freehand first. 

Your lecture was uncalled for, simple misunderstanding on your part ...  to quote you, "Virtual Copies" ... Hence the reference 'back to Aperture'. I am sorry, I thought it was an obvious connection, apparently not.  Perhaps you didn't use Aperture and were not aware one of its great strengths was endless "virtual copies' of any file taking up almost no space, containing only the mathematics to apply to the original. 
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 6 of 8
    MacPro said:
    polymnia said:
    MacPro said:
    polymnia said:

i get it. You miss it. 

Your lecture was uncalled for, simple misunderstanding on your part ...  to quote you, "Virtual Copies" ... Hence the reference 'back to Aperture'. I am sorry, I thought it was an obvious connection, apparently not.  Perhaps you didn't use Aperture and were not aware one of its great strengths was endless "virtual copies' of any file taking up almost no space, containing only the mathematics to apply to the original. 
    Never used Aperture. 

Of course it's great strength (just like LR's, ACR, or even the DNG format that leads to a unified future for all of the above) was its design as way to describe edits to a fixed original (generally RAW) image. You'll get no argument from me there. 

My critisism of you comment is this: if both Aperture desktop & LR Desktop had Virtual Copies (they did/do) there is no reason to go "back to Aperture". Only one of these Apps ever made it to iOS, so the is no "back" for which to go. No one has made a Virtual Copy feature to a RAW editor in iOS so far as I know. Implying that Aperture solves this problem is silly, since it isn't and never was a product. 

Adobe has put a lot of effort into bringing its creative tools to iOS. I prefer to focus on the company doing the work, not the one who dropped out years ago. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    polymnia said:
    MacPro said:
    polymnia said:
    MacPro said:
    polymnia said:

i get it. You miss it. 

Never used Aperture. 

Of course it's great strength (just like LR's, ACR, or even the DNG format that leads to a unified future for all of the above) was its design as way to describe edits to a fixed original (generally RAW) image. You'll get no argument from me there. 

My critisism of you comment is this: if both Aperture desktop & LR Desktop had Virtual Copies (they did/do) there is no reason to go "back to Aperture". Only one of these Apps ever made it to iOS, so the is no "back" for which to go. No one has made a Virtual Copy feature to a RAW editor in iOS so far as I know. Implying that Aperture solves this problem is silly, since it isn't and never was a product. 

Adobe has put a lot of effort into bringing its creative tools to iOS. I prefer to focus on the company doing the work, not the one who dropped out years ago. 
    I'll quote myself again ... " (obviously desktop only at the time)".  "Back to Aperture" referenced back to the discussion we photographers have had, not the application per se. I took a leap assuming you had used Aperture, to infer that had it continued as a professional application it might well have made it to iOS.  Please, just let it go, I get it you misunderstood me and I can see why as you didn't know about Aperture.  Sometimes on AI the 'reply' is not only intended just for the poster but as a general comment intended for a wider audience. In this case the countless number of professional photographers that used and still use Aperture to this day and who most likely understood the reference.  I see you are a keen fan of Adobe so also understand the attitude.  I have an Adobe CC account too but far prefer anything other than Adobe with the one exception, Photoshop but even then Affinity are giving that a good run for its money. I'm looking out for the rumored Affinity DAM.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    MacPro said:
    polymnia said:
    MacPro said:
    polymnia said:
    MacPro said:
    polymnia said:

i get it. You miss it. 

Never used Aperture. 

I'll quote myself again ... " (obviously desktop only at the time)".  "Back to Aperture" referenced back to the discussion we photographers have had, not the application per se. I took a leap assuming you had used Aperture, to infer that had it continued as a professional application it might well have made it to iOS.  Please, just let it go, I get it you misunderstood me and I can see why as you didn't know about Aperture.  Sometimes on AI the 'reply' is not only intended just for the poster but as a general comment intended for a wider audience. In this case the countless number of professional photographers that used and still use Aperture to this day and who most likely understood the reference.  I see you are a keen fan of Adobe so also understand the attitude.  I have an Adobe CC account too but far prefer anything other than Adobe with the one exception, Photoshop but even then Affinity are giving that a good run for its money. I'm looking out for the rumored Affinity DAM.
    I get your reference. I was aware of Aperture. I just live in the present.