FTC examines claims of Amazon using inflated list prices before signing off on Whole Foods...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy said:
    Notsofast said:
    Not so fast.  Amazon has made a major mistake by pushing so prominently into major brick and mortar move with Whole Foods.  It has awakened people to the less than ethical aspects of what they are doing to destroy competitors. I support free market capitalism as it is designed to produce greatest benefit, but at some point, there is going to need to be a need for reexamination of anti-trust law where you have group of venture capitalists fund a company to run at a loss for many years as it gobbles up and destroys competition. When profit/loss is no longer important there is something wrong. 

As for the controversial "discount" Amazon advertises, in many cases it is downright absurd, e.g., "216%," but often it is inarguably a price that no one is selling at, and would fail many states consumer fraud laws .    Amazon needs to fear also a consortium of states going after its advertising of false prices practice. 
    IMHO Amazon has less to fear from a fairly silly look at pricing practices than it does from a very real possibility of the Government taking a hard look at Amazon as just getting too darn big with fingers in too many things. I fully expect there to be some consideration given to the advantages of forcing them to break up into competing companies ala' Bell Telephone.
    I saw one comment the other day that got my interest. It said that it might be possible that Amazon wants to be the only Retailer left standing. Every competitor bigger than a mom and pop store is driven out of business. Sort of what Walmart tried and nearly succeeded but on a far bigger scale.
    all those Shopping Malls will be mighty empty places. Just a McD, Burger King and An Amazon collection point. An interesting thought.

(snip)...Also, a bachelor  friend told me that grocery shopping was a great place to meet women...(snip)
    "You like food? Hey, what a coincidence... I like food!"  ;)
    Reminds me of an old, old joke where owner of the carriage has painted the rear end of his horse.  His female passenger asks: why did you paint the rear end of your horse?  He answers...

Hmm... I don't believe I know that one...
  • Reply 22 of 23
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

"You like food? Hey, what a coincidence... I like food!"  ;)
    Reminds me of an old, old joke where owner of the carriage has painted the rear end of his horse.  His female passenger asks: why did you paint the rear end of your horse?  He answers...

Hmm... I don't believe I know that one...
    It's a conversation starter!  He says: Let's...

• Reply 23 of 23
    only 61%? I would've thought it was ALL of the items. I've had a robo mower in my basket for months now, it's sitting at around £599 regularly, the RRP is approx £900 iirc, on primeday it went down to £499 and said it had "£401 off!!". Technically yes, but the sale was only an extra £100 off from the normal price.

I've experienced this in pretty much ALL shops, online AND real actual brick&mortar stores. Doesn't bother me as I typically never go by RRP and go by what I'm willing to pay and how much I think it's worth to me anyway.