JCPenney begins offering full support for Apple Pay across US

Posted:
in iPhone
JCPenney is now accepting Apple Pay across all of its U.S. locations, the department store chain announced on Monday, including support for store-branded credit cards and associated rewards points.

Compatibility within the JCPenney app for iPhones and iPads is "coming soon," the company added. In-store transactions require an iPhone 6 or later, or else an Apple Watch.

JCPenney is believed to have been running a pilot program for Apple Pay as far back as Nov. 2015, and preparing to launch chain-wide support by spring 2016. If so, it's not clear what might have caused the year-plus delay.

The issue may simply have been the sheer size of the retailer, which has over 1,000 locations nationwide. On top of backend work, companies wanting Apple Pay must ensure that all their payment terminals support the NFC chips used in the iPhone and Watch -- potentially a very expensive upgrade.

Indeed U.S. retailer support has been a continual thorn for Apple Pay. While many national and regional chains are now compatible, there are still conspicuous gaps. Even some companies that have long promised support, like Anthropologie, remain without it. Smaller vendors can take advantage of Apple Pay readers like Square's.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Oh, good. Now, it will be more convenient for me to pay for my clearance items when their store-closing sales begin.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    I just bought something at JCP on Saturday. I tried to use AP but there wasn't even a sign of an NFC reader.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

The issue may simply have been the sheer size of the retailer, which has over 1,000 locations nationwide. 
    I was shocked to see this. I rather assumed they were like Sears and K-Mart as a dying concern.

Any retailer adopting ApplePay is good news.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    eightzero said:

The issue may simply have been the sheer size of the retailer, which has over 1,000 locations nationwide. 
    I was shocked to see this. I rather assumed they were like Sears and K-Mart as a dying concern.

Agree. I guess I thought they had already gone out of business. I don't recall seeing one of their stores around for a couple of years and can't think of the last time I was actually in one. 
    zroger73
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    gatorguy said:
    eightzero said:

Agree. I guess I thought they had already gone out of business. I don't recall seeing one of their stores around for a couple of years and can't think of the last time I was actually in one. 
    That happens when you wear horse blinders and live in your own RDF. Just bought clothing in my local JCP this morning. Local mall has four anchor stores, JCP, Macy's, Sears, and Dillard's. Customers in them all. Go figure.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    eightzero said:

That happens when you wear horse blinders and live in your own RDF. Just bought clothing in my local JCP this morning. Local mall has four anchor stores, JCP, Macy's, Sears, and Dillard's. Customers in them all. Go figure.
    Its all about the location though...the mall nearest to me (1hr away) has a Sears, JCP, and BonTon. The Sears and BonTon are basically ghost towns and I don't know how they survive in that mall. The other anchor store was Macy's which left about 2 or 3 years ago. JCP still sees a fair amount of traffic but I can see Sears leaving. 

So while yours may have good foot traffic, others may not. It all depends on the area the stores are in. And just because there are customers in there, doesn't mean they're buying anything. 
    edited July 2017 netmage
  • Reply 7 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Sears, JCP and other old, old American retailers are going the way of the dinosaur thanks to Amazon.