Samsung Galaxy S8 Active lacks edge-to-edge Infinity Display, implements fixed Bixby butto...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Details have emerged early about the new Galaxy S8 Active from a user purporting to have the device in hand, with pictures surfacing showing that the edge-to-edge Infinity Display featured heavily in advertising is absent from the ruggedized phone.

If the device examined is in fact the Galaxy S8 Active, it apparently has a 5.8-inch uncurved display, with notable bezels on the sides and top of the device. The phone lacks the remappable "Active" button of previous models, with the button dedicated to Samsung's Bixby voice assistant technology on the new device.

The S8 active also has a larger 4,000mAh battery than its non-ruggedized progenitor. The Galaxy S8 has a 3000mAh battery, with the S8 Plus packing 3500mAh. As a result, the user reports that it is about 1.5x times thicker than the 8mm Galaxy S8.

The sides are metal, with a polymer back to the phone.

Otherwise, the device has the same Snapdragon 835 processor with 64GB of storage, and 4GB of application RAM. The cameras remain the same as well.

The Reddit post first publishing the pictures of the device has since been deleted. The leaker claims to have obtained the device from a Samsung employee in California.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Well of course it's absent, Samsung will eventually ditch both the curved display and the bixby button in less than two years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    That actually looks better, though the overall design is a bit clunky (I guess it's OK for 'ruggedized' look.) The screen edge curved around was kind of silly... more of a 'look what we can do' than for any real purpose (and I'd guess, some very real downsides).
    Let's just hope Apple isn't copying that, only to be left in the dust of trend-change. I'm just trusting their taste is better than that.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Is anyone seriously confused as to why you wouldn't have an edge to edge display on a ruggedised phone?
    Metriacanthosaurusavon b7cgWerkswatto_cobraKawhiUCONN
  • Reply 4 of 10
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    cgWerks said:
    That actually looks better, though the overall design is a bit clunky (I guess it's OK for 'ruggedized' look.) The screen edge curved around was kind of silly... more of a 'look what we can do' than for any real purpose (and I'd guess, some very real downsides).
    There are a couple of visible downsides when using curved screens.
    1. Curved glass creates really annoying reflections of surrounding light sources. Due to the curved and elongated shape of the glass, those long line-like reflections are guaranteed to stay on top of the image, no matter what angle you turn your screen at. Take a look at every image of the Note curved screen, when taken in not a fully dark room - reflections are everywhere and they just obscure everything that is displayed on those edges...
    You see the same reflections on the curved edges in an iPhone, but....there is no image to look at, underneath those highlights, because there is no screen underneath them.
    2. Bent sides of the screen have a different angle to the viewer, comparing to the rest of the screen. Color/brightness distortion and irregularity is another problem.

p.s. it is not that significant, but geometric distortion on the curved edges is a problem, as well

edited July 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    AvieshekAvieshek Posts: 100member
    Wow, it's a LG. 
    edited July 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    This makes you wonder how the flagship s8 with edge to edge amoled is doing.  It tells me that the "innovative" s8 isn't selling as good as they anticipated so they are leaving off the infinity screen to catch anybody who wants an s8 but not th infinity 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Man, its a ugly phone; better be able to throw it... Cause you'll need that "function".
    photography guy
  • Reply 8 of 10
    foggyhill said:
    Man, its a ugly phone; better be able to throw it... Cause you'll need that "function".
    Hahaha! Thanks for that...  :D
  • Reply 9 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    cgWerks said:
    Let's just hope Apple isn't copying that, only to be left in the dust of trend-change. I'm just trusting their taste is better than that.
    Hmm, how many times has Apple copied Samsung only to be left in the dust of trends?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    StrangeDays said:
    Hmm, how many times has Apple copied Samsung only to be left in the dust of trends?
    Just joking (a bit). It does seem like Apple is concerning itself more with fashion these days than style.