Apple manufacturer Quanta seen riding high on 'Apple Watch Series 3' coming this fall

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    How is a watch going to tell if you're sleeping? Improving your sleep would certainly be worthwhile if they could find a way to do that. But simply having data to stress out about while falling asleep isn't useful.
    From wearables to dedicated devices, there are plenty of ways to figure that out with a fair amount of accuracy.

But if you're curious, check out one of the many iPhone apps that are designed for this purpose. I'm sure there at least a few free ones out there.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 22 of 26
    williamh said:
    I don't really want anything different - very pleased with my Series 0.  I don't need sleep monitoring, at least not using a sensor that would require me to wear the watch in my sleep.  I've been using my phone for sleep monitoring and consider that more than adequate.
    Sleep monitoring is such a joke. What are you going to do? Sleep different? A friend of mine said he was thinking about getting a second Apple Watch to wear to bed for sleep tracking...I said...Why? What are you going to get out of that? 

Want a restful sleep? Take off the damn watch and leave technology alone for 8 hours.
    Obviously you have no problem sleeping. For one that does have problems sleeping, you're ready to try anything that might help...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    williamh said:
    I don't really want anything different - very pleased with my Series 0.  I don't need sleep monitoring, at least not using a sensor that would require me to wear the watch in my sleep.  I've been using my phone for sleep monitoring and consider that more than adequate.
    Sleep monitoring is such a joke. What are you going to do? Sleep different? A friend of mine said he was thinking about getting a second Apple Watch to wear to bed for sleep tracking...I said...Why? What are you going to get out of that? 

Want a restful sleep? Take off the damn watch and leave technology alone for 8 hours.
    Obviously you have no problem sleeping. For one that does have problems sleeping, you're ready to try anything that might help…
    Seems like an odd stance for someone to take no matter how well they do at a common activity. I can run, swim, bike, cook, and a million other things well, but I've also looked at ways to become better, to become more efficient, or just curious to know if I can be more efficient.

One thing I like is the alarm clock that wake you up between you deep sleep cycle and your alarm time for optimum waking efficiency. I can think of no way to do this manually, whilst sleeping.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    longpathlongpath Posts: 399member
    Are there any clues in the latest Betas of WatchOS 4 as to what additional functionality a third generation AppleWatch would offer, or do only have Apple patents and hiring efforts to extrapolate from?
  • Reply 25 of 26
    longpathlongpath Posts: 399member
    How is a watch going to tell if you're sleeping? Improving your sleep would certainly be worthwhile if they could find a way to do that. But simply having data to stress out about while falling asleep isn't useful.
    There are a number of watches that have sleep detection, including Garmin's Fenix 3 and Polar's V800. How well they do at said detection is another matter. Typically, it involves cross referencing time of day with movement tracking; but if the watch also has heart rate data, that's an additional indicator. If the watch also monitors skin temperature, that can also be cross referenced with the other noted inputs.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    A third gen watch won't happen until next year.
    The lack of any substantial leaks from the supply chain support this statement. But, that doesn't make any sense to me. The Series 2 was a minor update that added waterproofing, basically targeting a specific segment of users that needed full waterproofing before they could jump in.

There has yet to be a compelling Apple Watch upgrade for Series 0 owners. Seems insane to not come out with a model with a faster chip, better battery life, improved taptic engine. It is an iPhone accessory. Why not have a new Apple Watch to purchase alongside new iPhones? Why not have a new Apple Watch which makes for a good holiday gift?

If no Series 3 this year, vast missed opportunity. I don't think Apple would do that.

While I am a Series 0 wearer, I disagree with you on the Series 2:   The audience it is targeting is NOT a (limited) "specific segment" -- it is targeting the largest and fastest growing segment available to wearable technology -- the health and fitness segment.   Apple first tried marketing to the fashion segment and that failed so then they targeted the gadget lovers segment and that did better was still limited.  

Expanding in a serious way (and removing the limitations that blocked it from being a serious health and fitness monitor for those serious about health and fitness) was the first step in making AW a serious product rather than an optional, nice to have accessory.

From here there are some serious upgrades Apple could make that would both expand its market even further as well as making it a better health and fitness monitor.  
    ... Meanwhile, I'll stick with my Series 0 because it does what I need well enough.