Spotify retains clear lead over Apple Music with 60M paid subscribers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    1983 said:
    It seems adoption of Music has stagnated with that 27 million paid user count unchanged for a while now, while Spotify continue to grow. Is this going to be another failed experiment by Apple? I thought it would have a much larger user base by now.
    HomePod will change this...I wouldn't sat 27 Million is a failed experiment either. We'll see if Spotify can make any money here...and keep making money. 
    Homepod is ridiculously overprices speaker that will only be bought by the most diehard throw money at the screen apple fans. It's not going to drive people to a service. I'm surely not interested in a Homepod and Not a single friend of mine has even mentioned it.
    People said the same thing about the original iPhone. Oh and those MacBook Pros...people will buy it no matter who they are. For one thing, you don't know what it sounds like, how well it functions and what it will do for you in the future. 

Just because you and 5 of your buddies aren't interested doesn't mean shit. I love people like you who always compare the rest of the market to what you and a couple of friends think. Well I know a whole 6 people including myself that don't like so that means nobody in this world will like it! 
    And about the iMac and about the iPod and and and and and...
  • Reply 22 of 32
    croprcropr Posts: 1,125member

macxpress said:
    1983 said:
    It seems adoption of Music has stagnated with that 27 million paid user count unchanged for a while now, while Spotify continue to grow. Is this going to be another failed experiment by Apple? I thought it would have a much larger user base by now.
    HomePod will change this...I wouldn't sat 27 Million is a failed experiment either. We'll see if Spotify can make any money here...and keep making money. 
    Why the heck would HomePod change this.  HomePod will in the first place be bought by existing Apple Music customers, not the other way around,  And if Siri remains in such a dire state for non English languages, HomePod won't be a success in a lot of countries

But I do agree that 27 million is not bad at all.  But the toughest part for Apple is yet to come.   All people who really wanted to pay for an Aplpe Music subscription have subscribed.   Now Apple need to convince people who don't want to pay or people who not automatically choose Apple as their preferred supplier. 
  • Reply 23 of 32
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    I have both. I pay for Spotify and get apple music "free" with my mobile sub. The debate cuts both ways in that respect. Nearly every byo plan on Telstra gets you some kind of free Apple Music. 

As as far as music selection is concerned, I really want to like Apple Music (because I use CarPlay) and look forward to fridays playlist but it's always a bit hit and miss. Spotify gets this right far more often than not for me. 

What i want is spotifys algorithms and apple musics integration. 
  • Reply 24 of 32
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    No, it won't. HomePod is a toy for the faithful who already pay for AppleMusic. It's not going to attract new users to the fold. 
  • Reply 25 of 32
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    smaffei said:
    No, it won't. HomePod is a toy for the faithful who already pay for AppleMusic. It's not going to attract new users to the fold. 

cropr said:

macxpress said:
    1983 said:
    Why the heck would HomePod change this.  HomePod will in the first place be bought by existing Apple Music customers, not the other way around,  And if Siri remains in such a dire state for non English languages, HomePod won't be a success in a lot of countries
    People said the same thing about the Mac, the iPhone, iPod, etc....you guys never learn do you? All Apple products are just "toys" that only the Apple faithful will buy. Well let me tell you there must be a lot of Apple faithful out there unless Apple magically became one of the most successful companies in history with more money than any other company in the world. But yeah...Apple is only for fanboys. 

I see people buying HomePod and then subscribing to Apple Music as a result. Apple is only going to sell these to current Apple Music subscribers. 

Also, HomePod will not only be for music. Very rarely does Apple create some type of accessory and has it only do one or two things. They have plans for a device to do multiple things. It may not do it out of the box when first released, but more and more features get added as time passes. Look at the iPhone and how much its evolved over the years, same goes for iPod, and Apple Watch. HomePod will be no different. 
    edited August 2017 netmageStrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 32
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    rain22 said:
    macxpress said:
    1983 said:
    Homepod isn't going to do anything. I'll get one and stream Spotify to it. 
    Spotify is a superior service with a vastly superior catalog and curation algorithms.
    If you're listening on gear capable of an iota of reference- the quality is far superior as well.

Apple is at least 7 years behind. They have a lot of work to do to pry people away from other Services.
    Funny everytime I talk about music with a Spotify user, I am the one who has access to the album and they do not (example Radiohead).  It makes sense to me that because AppleMusic is built upon  the history of iTunes and it will have more music that matters.  AppleMusic is improving rapidly and if it pays more roylaties and is more artist friendly, it will win in the end.

I love how the pundits discount an Apple product out of the gate but turn their back only to have that product become monster (iPhone, AppleWatch, iPod etc).
    macxpressStrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 32
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I'd like to see what Spotify has to gain from going public....as soon as investors see Spotify isn't company that is going to continuously make money its stock is gonna tank. I don't see this going well at all. They have yet to show they can make money on a quarterly basis. They can have 150 Million subscribers but if they're still losing money, or making money one quarter and losing it the next then what difference does it make. 

Apple on the other hand can afford to lose a little money on Apple Music because it has other products and services to make up for it. Apple has the upper hand in the end. They just need to continue to make positive changes and additions to Apple Music and they'll get there. Nothing happens overnight. Not even the iPhone was an overnight success. 
  • Reply 28 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    rain22 said:
    macxpress said:
    1983 said:
    Homepod isn't going to do anything. I'll get one and stream Spotify to it. 
    Spotify is a superior service with a vastly superior catalog and curation algorithms.
    If you're listening on gear capable of an iota of reference- the quality is far superior as well.

Apple is at least 7 years behind. They have a lot of work to do to pry people away from other Services.
    As an Apple ecosystem resident, I have no interest in Spotify. Easier to use AM on my devices, lock screens, ATV, etc... So AM as an ecosystem offering is viable. 
  • Reply 29 of 32

macxpress said:
    1983 said:
    Homepod is ridiculously overprices speaker that will only be bought by the most diehard throw money at the screen apple fans. It's not going to drive people to a service. I'm surely not interested in a Homepod and Not a single friend of mine has even mentioned it.
    Prove it. Cuz comparable quality speakers like Sonos are similar. Making it hardly “ridiculous”, unless by that you mean “not free!”
    macxpress
  • Reply 30 of 32
    smaffei said:
    Classic Troll Trope #4 — “‘It’s a toy!”
    macxpress
  • Reply 31 of 32
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    It might be worth mentioning that Spotify got to its 60M paid subscribers after almost nine years in business. Apple Music has reached half that number of paid subscribers in two years.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    I've been on Spotify for almost 5 years and having tried Apple's service, I'm most definitely ready to switch except that there is one huge omission in the Apple Music app that I cannot compromise, Starting Radio from a song in your playlist or from any song currently playing. There's no way I can do without this feature since I've discovered so much great music because of it. I've written to Apple's Feedback on this but I'm still waiting. Overall, having been on Spotify for as long as I have and in comparison to Apple's offering, the Music service from Apple is clearly a higher quality. iTunes has just been around much longer and you can tell and I seriously want back in, but I can't do it yet.