AT&T promotions offer BOGO iPhone 7 or free iPad with DirecTV

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2017
Looking to capitalize on the popularity of Apple's products, AT&T this week launched two deals offering DirecTV and Next wireless customers a free iPhone 7 -- with the purchase of a first iPhone 7 -- or free iPad.

ATT Apple iPad iPhone deal

The buy one, get one free iPhone 7 promotion nets customers $650, minus $25 activation fee, in credit when both iPhones are purchased on the same AT&T Next account with associated DirecTV service. According to the fine print, the credit can be applied to cover the cost of a new 32GB iPhone 7. Alternatively, the $650 can be put toward the discount of any qualifying device priced up to $970.

A monthly postpaid voice and data plan is required for both handsets. New customers need to sign a 24-month agreement, while existing Next customers can take the opportunity to add the iPhone 7 to an eligible plan.

AT&T does not mention an expiration to the promotion, saying only that it is available for a limited time.

As for the iPad promo, AT&T is offering a free 32GB 9.7-inch iPad for existing Next customers who buy an iPhone and switch to DirecTV. To qualify, users need to upgrade to, or add, a new iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus to their eligible plan, then purchase the iPad with two-year wireless service agreement.

Customers who are new to AT&T can purchase their iPhone with a Next plan, sign up for DirecTV and receive an iPad for $0.99.

Like the first offer, customers pay for the hardware in advance and receive a credit in two or three billing cycles. An alternate offer lets customers buy a 128GB 9.7-inch iPad for $99, after credit is applied.

The iPad bundle deal is available until Aug. 31.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    24 mo of DTV at $29/mo + $50 activation fee = $746 > iPhone 7 + tax. Also, you got 2 new handsets at $25/ea/mo added to your family shared plan, so it's $50/mo x 24 mo = $1200 + service fees and taxes.
    Bottom line: nothing is free. ATT gives you a phone and get you back with DTV service which you hardly need and also makes $1200+ from you. Basically, they sell you a service.
    lolliverwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    fallenjt said:
    24 mo of DTV at $29/mo + $50 activation fee = $746 > iPhone 7 + tax. Also, you got 2 new handsets at $25/ea/mo added to your family shared plan, so it's $50/mo x 24 mo = $1200 + service fees and taxes.
    Bottom line: nothing is free. ATT gives you a phone and get you back with DTV service which you hardly need and also makes $1200+ from you. Basically, they sell you a service.
    It is also much cheaper to buy an iPhone and have a sim only contract than a combined iPhone and sim contract. Plus with a network free iPhone it's much easier to change networks. Yet it appears the mobile networks have no problems stinging consumers year after year at over inflated contract prices with combined packages. I can only assume consumers don't do the maths like you did.
    lolliverwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I better not let my wife see this, there is something weirdly magical and hypnotic about those letters B O G O that prevent her from walking past without picking bottles up in the wine section.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Last year it was a straight up BOGO.  Do not want DirectV so this is useless.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    icoco3 said:
    I'd probably be in too if it were no DTV.  We need two iPhone 7 models right about now, a twofer would be awesome.  Maybe one the 8 drops we'll see more such offers on 7s.
    icoco3
  • Reply 6 of 6
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    MacPro said:
    icoco3 said:
    I'd probably be in too if it were no DTV.  We need two iPhone 7 models right about now, a twofer would be awesome.  Maybe one the 8 drops we'll see more such offers on 7s.
    Last summer 2 of my boys got the 6S+ each and are just paying the difference.  A $325 discount each.

Was going to add my daughter and upgrade my wife.  Pay off one phone and the other is handle by the monthly credit.  Oh well....