Apple starts hiring for ninth Japanese store, based in Kyoto

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is preparing to launch a new store in Kyoto, Japan, newly-published job listings reveal -- just its ninth in the entire country, despite a years-long presence there.

The company is currently recruiting management, clerks, and behind-the-scene workers, Macotakara noted. Kyoto is smaller than some other Japanese cities, but is also the country's former capital and has many tourist attractions, such as shrines, temples, and Imperial structures.

Apple's Japanese retail presence is largely centered in Tokyo, where there are three full stores and a special Apple Watch outlet. Remaining outlets are scattered between Aichi, Fukuoka, Miyagi and Osaka.

It's not yet clear where in Kyoto the new shop will be built, or when it might open. Apple typically prefers to build in luxury shopping districts however, and time its openings to fall iPhone launches or at least holiday shopping. New iPhones could ship as soon as September, though the "iPhone 8" may arrive as late as October.

Apple is rapidly approaching the 500-store mark. Indeed Kyoto may be in a position to become the 500th, depending on how fast other locations come to fruition.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    It's funny how some analysts claim Apple is struggling to stay afloat and they say iPhone sales are always declining in favor of people wanting Android smartphones. If Apple is struggling so badly, why would they continue opening new stores? Most businesses that are struggling are usually closing stores. Something really doesn't add up at all. Apple seems to be doing relatively well based on the fundamentals I can see. Apple doesn't appear to be on the verge of collapse as many analysts claim it is. I personally think Apple is wise to open more stores and let people try out their products and take classes. What other consumer tech company does what Apple does for loyal customers and potential customers. Everyone says how Apple is doomed but it really doesn't appear that way to me. I know China doesn't need iPhones because everyone uses WeChat but there are still many other countries where Apple can appeal to consumers.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Teriffic!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I would guess the store is near the main train station. It has a shopping area called Porta. The foot traffic is massive. The photo in the main post looks like it was taken from the Hotel Granvia which is where we stayed last November.

901, Higashishiokojicho
    Shimogyo-Ku, Kyoto, Kyoto
    Japan 600-8216
    edited August 2017 radarthekat
  • Reply 4 of 8
    " If Apple is struggling so badly, why would they continue opening new stores? Most businesses that are struggling are usually closing stores. Something really doesn't add up at all. "

That's because WS, and those that don't get it, are focused on the wrong metric of success.

Before Apple it was expected that competitors made about the same profit per unit sold.  In that scenario market share was important because more units sold translated to more profit.

NOBODY MAKES THE SAME PROFIT PER UNIT SOLD AS DOES APPLE.

Which takes me to something I was told by a very smart man.  "There are only 10 reasons to be in business: the first is to make a profit, the rest don't count."

Apple controls 85% of industry profit with only 12% worldwide market share.  If we normalized Apple's product to what its competitors make per unit, then Apple is selling 6X as many virtual units as they report.  Twelve percent unit market share then 
    becomes 72% unit market share.

Unfortunately, WS isn't trained to think in this manner, and the media are just stupid, always looking for the easy (to understand) compare.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 5 of 8
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    " If Apple is struggling so badly, why would they continue opening new stores? Most businesses that are struggling are usually closing stores. Something really doesn't add up at all. "

That's because WS, and those that don't get it, are focused on the wrong metric of success.

Before Apple it was expected that competitors made about the same profit per unit sold.  In that scenario market share was important because more units sold translated to more profit.

NOBODY MAKES THE SAME PROFIT PER UNIT SOLD AS DOES APPLE.

Which takes me to something I was told by a very smart man.  "There are only 10 reasons to be in business: the first is to make a profit, the rest don't count."

Apple controls 85% of industry profit with only 12% worldwide market share.  If we normalized Apple's product to what its competitors make per unit, then Apple is selling 6X as many virtual units as they report.  Twelve percent unit market share then becomes 72% unit market share.

Unfortunately, WS isn't trained to think in this manner, and the media are just stupid, always looking for the easy (to understand) compare.
    The market respects only growth.  Apple is a company that grew fast, to the point where it achieved nearly all of the profit in the markets in which it participates.  It then leveled out and consumed all those profits year after year.  The market doesn't grok this type of performance, doesn't understand that such a company, in the fullness of time makes more overall profits than one that grows steadily over the same period of time, finally reaching the same level of profits after many years of growth.  

Me?  I'd rather own the business that quickly grows to the point where it owns all the profits in its markets and then continues to take that high level of profit every year thereafter.  But the market wants to see steady growth, even if that means it gets 30% growth each year for ten years to finally achieve the level of profits Apple achieved after just a few years and continued to garner for every year thereafter.  Sum up the ten year profits and tell me which you'd prefer.  
  • Reply 6 of 8

Japan is one country I really want to visit. Not the least of it being because my favourite director is Kurosawa...

Cycliste
  • Reply 7 of 8
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member

Japan is one country I really want to visit. Not the least of it being because my favourite director is Kurosawa...

He's dead. 
    Cycliste
  • Reply 8 of 8
    tokyojimu said:

He's dead. 

His movies didn't die with him. I have all 30 of them.