Photos show alleged cover glass, sensor notch for Apple's 'iPhone 8'

Posted:
in iPhone
As Apple's "iPhone 8" enters the home stretch, new images published on Tuesday are said to depict the device's cover glass, apparently backing leaks about the device's edge-to-edge OLED display.

The glass -- seen in photos originally posted to China's Weibo -- includes extremely slim bezels, and a "notch" for the earpiece and surrounding sensors. While the part's authenticity is uncertain, the notch and bezels have been seen in several other recent leaks, most notably code from Apple's own HomePod firmware.

Sensors may include a new front-facing camera, capable of 4K video at 60 frames per second, and most importantly a new 3D facial recognition system likely to replace Touch ID. The technology may even be able to recognize people from unusual angles such as resting on a table, and unlock a phone in less than a second.

The "iPhone 8" has long been rumored as getting 3D facial recognition, but until very recently it was thought that Apple would still attempt to include Touch ID. Without a physical home button, it was believed Apple would embed a fingerprint sensor in the screen, in the power button, or on the rear, as with some Android phones like Samsung's Galaxy S8.

Apple could ship the "iPhone 8" as soon as next month, but rumored production issues may delay a launch until October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Reading all those rumours, most of them coming from this speaker thing by Apple itself, I think by now we know EVERYTHING about the new phone.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    All the leaks seem to show 4 "sensors", 2 on each side of the speaker.

Current iPhones have the camera and proximity sensor. So we now have 2 additional sensors. I'm really curious what they are.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Reading all those rumours, most of them coming from this speaker thing by Apple itself, I think by now we know EVERYTHING about the new phone.
    We still don’t know how Apple is going to handle this cutout for the camera/sensors. Is the ‘notch’ only going to be visible on the lock screen with software creating a black status bar? Or is the ‘notch’ always there and UI needs to work around it? Changes made to iOS 11 seem to indicate space was created for this ‘notch’. 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    All the leaks seem to show 4 "sensors", 2 on each side of the speaker.

Current iPhones have the camera and proximity sensor. So we now have 2 additional sensors. I'm really curious what they are.
    Sensors to assist the new 3D facial scanning tech. Infrared could be built into one or both. Iris scanning could be a possibility. Could combine the two. Could even be a couple of weaker 2 or 5MP cameras used only for 3D facial scanning, with built in infrared or iris sensors. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 10
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    We still don’t know how Apple is going to handle this cutout for the camera/sensors. Is the ‘notch’ only going to be visible on the lock screen with software creating a black status bar? Or is the ‘notch’ always there and UI needs to work around it? Changes made to iOS 11 seem to indicate space was created for this ‘notch’. 
    Having a notch would make sense for the UI to stretch around it and recreate a status bar when necessary.

I like the idea but the bigger the screen, the less impact it has. For visuals, eliminating the chin had more impact. It looks nice though. Sharp has announced a couple of mid range phones with a notch but the top corners are clipped off (perhaps a way of increasing glass resistance?). 

Maybe it's the angle but the bezels don't look so thin. I was expecting something thinner. The Mate 8 from a couple of years ago had thin bezels (thinner than the ones in the photo, I'd say). Might just be the photo though.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 6 of 10
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    If this is the read deal, then it’s pretty obvious that it’s not really an edge to edge screen as we keep reading it is. Aesthetically, an edge to edge screen is great, but whether it matters, functionally, is something else. My fingers still wrap around the phone by a little bit, so I’m fine with small bezels.
    pscooter63jbdragonfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    Nope!
    Just look at how bad that paint job is!

The EVT test photos we have only show three prominent sensors not four. The larger lenses are both directly adjacent to the speaker.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 8 of 10
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    This seems huge for the hand of the person considering the phone's supposed size, it is a child handling this?
    Calling this a fake using the real design (which of course makes it harder to judge).
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    foggyhill said:
    This seems huge for the hand of the person considering the phone's supposed size
    Unless it’s the iPhone 7S Plus, of which we’ve heard little to nothing yet. I don’t understand why so many people have jumped on the “two models simultaneously” thing yet again after it has been disproven at least three times before.
    it is a child handling this?
    Well, an Asian.

Well, this year does mark 10th anniversary of iPhone so it seems that Apple will want to do something for it such as a special edition iPhone. We shall see in about a month from now.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dr. x said:
    Well, this year does mark 10th anniversary of iPhone so it seems that Apple will want to do something for it such as a special edition iPhone. We shall see in about a month from now.
    And what better way to celebrate the 10th anniversary than to release the successor to the iPhone 7: the iPhone 10, the 11th iPhone.  :D