Apple's "Carpool Karaoke: The Series" now available for streaming on Apple Music

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2017
As promised, Apple on Tuesday released the first episode of "Carpool Karaoke: The Series" to Apple Music subscribers, the firm's second attempt at original episodic programming.

In the 20-minute premiere episode, comedian and show creator James Corden joins Will Smith on a tour through Los Angeles, where they sing along to their favorite songs, chat and take on a few surprises.

Though most "Carpool Karaoke" episodes will not feature a host, the Smith installment feels very much like an extended version of the segment made popular by The Late Late Show with James Corden. Between witty repartee, and of course in-car karaoke, Corden falls back into his usual role, peppering Smith with questions about songs like "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" and the theme to The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

Future episodes are expected to take on a more free flowing format, as pairings include movie stars, entertainers, athletes and musicians. There are, however, at least two seasoned talk show hosts in the mix with Chelsea Handler and Trevor Noah, who filmed segments with Blake Shelton and Shakira, respectively. Still, the Apple Music version of "Karaoke" is expected to deviate from the Late Late Show's Q&A style.

The premiere comes after months of delays. Apple first announced work on the "Karaoke" spinoff last July, and later set a release date in March of this year. Most recently, Apple postponed launch in April.

Apple on Tuesday also posted new TV ads for two upcoming episodes, one featuring Alicia Keys and John Legend with guests Taraji P. Henderson and Corden, and another starring Billy Eichner and Metallica.

"Karaoke's" 16 episodes are slated to feature a laundry list of celebrities including Metallica, Shaquille O'Neal, John Legend, John Cena, Ariana Grande, Game of Thrones co-stars Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner, the Cyrus family, Queen Latifah, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Joe Jonas, Ice Cube and more.

"Carpool Karaoke: The Series" is available for streaming on Apple Music. Subsequent episodes will air each week, identical to the release format of Apple's first original series, "Planet of the Apps."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I am, no doubt, past my prime in terms of coolness, but is this "Carpool Karaoke" thing actually popular? Anyone here watch it?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Just watched the first episode. I enjoyed it. This definitely makes up for the Planet of the Apps disaster. This should've been Apple's first original program. 
    Muntz
  • Reply 3 of 14
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Which episode has Henry Wrinkler because this show has jumped the shark. The older crowd will get it.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I am, no doubt, past my prime in terms of coolness, but is this "Carpool Karaoke" thing actually popular? Anyone here watch it?
    It's been a huge hit for years.
    Muntzlolliverjony0
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I just watched it with my wife.  She rated it a 4 out of 10, I gave it a 6.  It seems decent but I'm not sure it has staying power.  And is it will it be worth watching without James Corden? I guess that remains to be seen.

I used to work with a bunch of 20- and 30-somethings who were very excited about it coming out on Apple Music so maybe it will get some traction.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I just watched it with my wife.  She rated it a 4 out of 10, I gave it a 6.  It seems decent but I'm not sure it has staying power.  And is it will it be worth watching without James Corden? I guess that remains to be seen.

I used to work with a bunch of 20- and 30-somethings who were very excited about it coming out on Apple Music so maybe it will get some traction.
    1) I'd think of it like when MTV hit cable in the early 80s. Music videos are just a vehicle to increase interest in an artist which increases sales. This isn't suppose to be the next Game of Thrones.

2) I'd love to know what Corden is getting for this without even being on it.
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 14
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Soli said:

1) I'd think of it like when MTV hit cable in the early 80s. Music videos are just a vehicle to increase interest in an artist which increases sales. This isn't suppose to be the next Game of Thrones.

2) I'd love to know what Corden is getting for this without even being on it.
    MTV would've never been more than a record label marketing scheme if it had failed but it didn't and became so much more. Who knows if this single show will be a real success but does it really matter? It's not like there are any sponsors or audience metrics that must be met. It's an endless bankroll by Apple. That being said, James Corden is just kicking off the first episode but producing all of the episodes so he's got some of his money and a lot more of Apple's money tied up into this. He needs it to succeed but does anyone else really care if it succeeds?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    As Will Smith says, "If it not broke don't try to fix it". The format is changed, nothing major but enough little things to reduce the natural rhythm compared with the original. Unlike other Carpools the songs were not engaging for those who don't known them and the scenes were split with irrelevant linking pictures. 3 out of 10.
    Soli
  • Reply 9 of 14
    dachar said:
    As Will Smith says, "If it not broke don't try to fix it". The format is changed, nothing major but enough little things to reduce the natural rhythm compared with the original. Unlike other Carpools the songs were not engaging for those who don't known them and the scenes were split with irrelevant linking pictures. 3 out of 10.
    Thanks for the balanced review.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Car-poo Krappy-oke!

Okley-dokley there, Apple!
  • Reply 11 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Well that's the rub isn't it. Just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean others don't either. Different strokes for different folks the old saying goes. Another poster here called Planet of the Apps a 'disaster'. In their mind, maybe. Consider the typical personality types that join tech forums like this one. Consider the comments that regularly come from these personality types. Because the people commenting here would rather see sci-fi-fi/fantasy, horror, role playing games brought to the screen they tend to trash whatever Apple is doing with this project. They forget that they are NOT the target audience, much like those who are constantly trashing Beats1 radio. 

For the record, yes, I like Carpool Karaoke.
    jony0lolliver
  • Reply 12 of 14
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Prefer the idea of Apple getting into user-generated content, as suggested above in competitive gaming comment. Then there is no stigma about level of hipness, competing with pricey talent, etc. etc. I've not thought much about it, but should Apple buy Snap and federate it? The advertising model of Snap is not liked by many here, but could be tweaked and done well without pressure if under AAPL umbrella. Snap users: camera-centric, youthful and exuberant, early adopters, enjoy their privacy relative to other socials with disappearing messages. And think of the synergy with Apple Music, etc.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    With Apple being very environmentally conscious, it would be cool to see Apple team up with a company like BBC Earth and produce a few nature documentaries. 
    edited August 2017 jony0