Code suggests 'iPhone 8' virtual home button area resizable, can be hidden

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,570member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Treasure trove this HomePod turns out to be. So much for Apple's famed secrecy! I don't understand why all this information is available in the software of the HomePod. Why is it there in the first place? For what use?
    Why indeed, when they could've updated the Homepod's firmware after the iPhone was released. 

I think this has been done deliberately. 
    Completely bogus. There would be absolutely no reason to leak all the fun details of upcoming iPhones, especially software features. 

The reason is much simpler. A mistake. In case you missed it, HomePod runs iOS. Employees were beta testing the device at home and a software update was issued for them to download to their HPs. The update was to a newer beta version of iOS 11. This being a closed beta intended only for employees, the needed build flags weren't set which would have obfuscated all of this. Then this beta build (containing everything) was put onto a public server outside of the Apple firewall for the employees to download at home. But public developers noticed it, downloaded it, analyzed, and published their findings.

That's it.
    The Next Web would disagree about it being "bogus". 

"Apple employs unique tactics to spread information about its products, without having to engage with the media.

This week (Jan/2011), the company released iOS 4.3 Beta for developers, an updated version of its iOS operating system for both iPhone and iPad. Apple’s OS updates tend to add new features, provide stability to existing features and remove options that its users disliked. That’s not all though, the company is increasingly offering specific references within its framework to unannounced features and the release of new products.

This, in effect is Apple’s “controlled leak” process, a process that it would never admit to, but exists all the same."

"In just two days, developers (and writers with developer accounts) are falling over themselves to find references to Apple’s next-generation iPad, a device that is expected to be announced within the next two months. Apple doesn’t provide code, instead developers pore over metadata included in the release, highlighting specific mentions to new iOS features on in many cases, an unreleased product."

For what you claim is a simple mistake it seems to happen regularly. You would think Apple might have caught on by now and taken steps to avoid it if it was "unintentional" eh? Seems very un-Apple-y to allow a mistake to be repeated. One of the several reasons I don't think it's a mistake. 

https://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/01/14/how-apples-controlled-leak-policy-keeps-us-hooked/

Your link doesn't back up your assertion whatsoever. Besides being conjecture, it's referring to public dev betas. The HomePod leak was not a public dev beta -- it was an internal build for employees and was discovered on a public server by a developer.

There is absolutely no incentive for Apple to leak all of its hardware and software surprise for the new iPhone -- essentially every single thing about it. Secrecy is how Apple rolls, not leaking all the details a month before their biggest annual event which is painstakingly rehearsed. Please explain what their gain would be if you believe (without evidence) otherwise.
    7 obvious reasons:
    Stoking.
    More.
    Interest and
    Excitement.
    Every.
    Single.
    Day. 

While at the same time making certain that current news about any other smartphone manufacturer is overshadowed by yet another possible Apple feature leak. 

Additionally Schiller has gone on record during Gruber's interview that he hates these leaks because it steals the thunder from the hard-working teams who toiled all year to produce them and he believes it's wrong to publish these secrets. So, either some anonymous random on a rumor forum named "gatorguy" knows the truth and Schiller, a top executive of a regulated public company is lying to Gruber's face, or you're wrong. I know which I'd put my money on. 

You're starting to sound a lot like Sog with some of your crackpot theories.
    And PED (if you don't know who he is you should), who I respect far more than an anonymous StrangeDays on the internet, is on record as saying he believes Phil Schiller is the source for Gruber's published "leaks". So if it's a crackpot theory I'm in good company. 
    https://www.ped30.com/2017/07/09/apple-gruber-schiller-iphone/

I'm sure you're a great guy and all, probably pretty good at what you do too. But when it comes to discovering things I wasn't aware of you're not on the top of my go-to list. 
    Whether you're willing to admit recognizing it or not I do spend a lot of time reading and very often researching in-depth, so when I post something it's seldom completely out of left-field nor without some support for it. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 22 of 25
    The iPhone 8 does not get a 5.1" screen? The width of 1125 pixels is exactly 1.5 times the width of the iPhone 7 (750 pixels). This could simply mean that this is a 3x retina display instead of the 2x retina used in current 4.7" models. (The 5.5" model already has a 3x retina resolution, but this is scaled up logical resolution.) If the 1125 x 2436 is indeed a 3x retina screen it will probably have (163 points x scale 3) 489 ppi. With this ppi and the given resolution, the screen size will 5.49". An 5.5" screen in a 4.7" device housing. By going from a 2x to a 3x retina, it has the same screen width as the 4.7" models. (Making the screen wider will increase the screen size even more above the 5.49".) An iPhone 7 with a 3x retina screen would have 1125 x 2001 pixels. So the "iPhone 8" has 435 pixels (or 145 logical points) extra in height. (The screen also has an aspect ratio of 2.17 instead of the 16:9 of the 4.7" devices.) So, Apple has a 435 pixels to play with. So the iPhone 8 has a 4.7" housing with a 5.49" retina 3 screen, same screen width as the current 4.7" devices but with the full height of the device. The 2800 x 1242 is more likely the resolution of the full-height version of the current 5.5" devices. The current 5.5" device (with scaled up retina 3) also have 1242 pixels. If they upgrade the 5.5" model (next year?) to a real 3x retina, and add the extra bar height of 435 pixels to it, it will have a resolution of 2643 x 1242. The 2800 pixel height is strange because it doesn't device nicely by 3. 2700 is probably a better candidate because that will also result in the same aspect ratio of 2.17.) Keeping the same with as the current 5.5" devices (using the logical 462 ppi) its size will be 6.43".
  • Reply 23 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,570member

gatorguy said:
    robjn said:
    gatorguy said:

For what you claim is a simple mistake it seems to happen regularly. You would think Apple might have caught on by now and taken steps to avoid it if it was "unintentional" eh? Seems very un-Apple-y to allow a mistake to be repeated. One of the several reasons I don't think it's a mistake. 

https://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/01/14/how-apples-controlled-leak-policy-keeps-us-hooked/

Apple provides pre-release software for testing. This software mostly contains features that were pre-announced at WWDC and sometimes minor unannounced software changes. These software releases are not "leaks". These public beta software packages are usually carefully stripped of any references to future products. In this case the data that needed to be stripped was flagged for this purpose but the stripping process was not actually implemented.

These flags in the code demonstrate Apple's intent to keep these revealing data points secret.
    Well perhaps they'll figure out some way to reliably implement that "intent" someday if it's simply another error on Apple's part as you think it is. 
    Robjn nailed it. They already have, which is why you've never seen this sort of accident in 10 years of releases. But oh, it happened this one time, so it must be a conspiracy of controlled leaks. Uh no. 

Of course it's happened before. Have a look for yourself, I'm sure you can figure out the search terms without me doing it for you. FWIW in less than 1 minute I can find reference to similar feature-revealing Apple "mistakes" in 2010, 2012, 2013 and now in 2017. If I spent a few more minutes researching it I would not be surprised if I found it happened on an even more regular basis. 

I guess I don't really understand why some few number of forum members are so incensed at the possibility that Apple themselves are behind some of the leaks we read about. Why wouldn't they do their own controlled leaks? There's obvious marketing advantages in controlling the message that you want promoted before a new product ships.

Of course the more excitement that can be generated in advance the better too. Not every Apple product purchaser is an old-line died-in-the-wool Apple fan just waiting to snatch up the next new i-Product, no prompting required. Many will be quite new to Apple especially if the message is crafted correctly. 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 24 of 25
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,442member
    So the screen cut out is angled and they have moved back to signal bars.
    why wouldn’t they move signal bars in to triangle part of screen?

indicators right of notch, time left. 
  • Reply 25 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If there's no physical Touch ID area, this phone will be a tough sell for the blind and partially sighted, not to mention needlessly more difficult to use without looking at it... but then again, this is an unconfirmed rumor anyway.